Recent content by jimavery

1. jimavery

Your Favourite Ukulele Ukulele Song

(I love to play) My Ukulele, as sung by Max Bygraves I'm never quite sure whether it's intended as affectionate or disdainful parody, but I do enjoy playing it.
  2. jimavery

Chord Inversions - what?

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I was only pondering the other day whether B7 played as 2322 is an inversion of B7 played as 4320 or not (on a re-entrant C6 tuned uke). Of course after those explanations the answer is evident... To paraphrase the late great Eric Morecambe, those are the...
  3. jimavery

I've seen your uke, your headstock, your backside. Show me your socks!!

My socks help reduce the complaints about my banjo ukulele playing. I literally "put a sock in it".
  4. jimavery

Amp?

It depends what you mean by "small". I've owned a few small amps which turned out to be too small, and landed with this Orange Crush Acoustic 30 which does everything I need it to very nicely https://orangeamps.com/crush-acoustic-30/
  5. jimavery

Dusting off my collection

Thanks Mike, the transposing (in Songbook app on Android) worked flawlessly, although actually playing an iUke for about two hours was an experience I won't want to repeat in a hurry. The low light of the evening was Wendy saying "Hey Jim, you've got a small one!". Next month will be the turn...
  6. jimavery

Dusting off my collection

Some of my five ukes almost never get played, so I've decided to take each one, in turn, to my local monthly ukulele jam. Today it'll be the turn of my little Aquila iUke. It's tuned CFAD, so I've loaded up all the songs into Songbook in chordpro format on my tablet so I can transpose on the...
  7. jimavery

Is there an "multi purpose" uke size?

It's horses for courses. A tenor will give you more frets, probably better intonation, but some chord shapes are more of a stretch. A soprano is more readily portable. Logic dictates that a concert gives you a compromise between the two ends of the spectrum, but my feeling is it's therefore a...
  8. jimavery

Ukulele trends and predictions for 2024 ?

I see Ortega are now producing electro-acoustic ukes with the electrics rechargeable with USB-C. This one is also a left-handed model, even better! So I hope the trend for manufacturers to offer at least some of their range in left-handed configuration will continue to improve in 2024...
  9. jimavery

Post goals / frameworks to follow for 2024. Happy New Year to my favorite community ❤️❤️❤️🤙🤙🤙

My resolution is simply to not let studying for graded exams spoil my enjoyment of ukulele. Practically that means I'm going take the grade 4 exam in January then blast through grade 5 as quickly as I can so I can then enjoy learning from some of the amazing sheet music I've bought recently by...
  10. jimavery

Closed Like your own posts

On reflection, the ability to see who all the reactions are from addresses the issue I mentioned, so "as is" works well thanks. 😀
  11. jimavery

Closed Like your own posts

I think that seeing as someone can respond to a post with an angry emoticon, it's important for the author to be able to counter it with a cheerful one. Or, to put it another way, if you aren't going to permit the OP to like their own post, then please remove all of the negative responses allowed.
  12. jimavery

Setup Friction pegs

It looks to me like there's nothing keeping the bush in place at the front, so I would guess a mallet is the tool you need for that job. 🔨
  13. jimavery

Slot bridge knot

Yes, figure of 8. When installing the knot into the slot, I aim to have the tail pointing inwards so it doesn't catch the sleeve of my shirt or jumper when strumming.
  14. jimavery

Good E versions of the Daily Ukulele books?

1. Yes there's a table of contents so you can click through there to any song. 2. I can't tell you how Google actually store them (you view them online), but you can export them as either ePub or PDF, albeit 'protected' so you can only view them using an Adobe application called "Digital...
  15. jimavery

Good E versions of the Daily Ukulele books?

I purchased a couple of those in Google Play Store, which works well for me, but I don't jam with them. Reading the books in the Chrome browser works very well, only I don't believe it will stop your screen from shutting down to save power, so you may want to adjust those settings on your PC to...
Top Bottom