Recent content by jwieties

1. jwieties

Who Owns A Pohaku Ukulele? Show us your pics!!

I've been meaning to do a review of the Pohaku concert I recently picked up. It's incredible! Outstanding playability, tone and looks! Here's a few pics of it from Peter's website.
  2. jwieties

Redwood as a tonewood

Here's my redwood/myrtle Covered Bridge. It's a canon!
  3. jwieties

Legendary Ukuleles

As I mentioned in this thread, I wanted to share a new resource I found. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?103391-Vintage-Gibson-NUD "The Gibson" was purchased from David Graves of "Legendary Ukuleles". https://www.legendaryukuleles.com David grew up in Hawaii and now lives...
  4. jwieties

Vintage Gibson NUD

My family wanted to get me something special for my 40th birthday, and what better than a new uke. So, a few weeks ago I began my search. I didn't want to go to crazy with the price, but wanted something unique, special and fun. I started off asking around, looking for handful of customs such...
  5. jwieties

Cool New Case

Nope... only says "heavy duty", but by the looks I would say 5-ply. I look forward to finding out in a few days. Still quality-wise based on the video and pictures look much closer to this case, which I have several of and am very happy with. Rather then this one, which I've seen several...
  6. jwieties

Cool New Case

Hold on to your wallets and prepare for a major case of CAS. Appears to be an extremely well built/designed case with looks to kill. http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16107-2095/gw-jm-uke-sop Love the light color (as opposed to black), leather handle, quality buckles, vintage style and the...
  7. jwieties

Vintage Birthday Surprise

Came home from work to find a package at my door. I have a dear friend who always goes overboard for my birthday. When I saw the return address name on the box I immediately knew that she had outdone herself this time. Prior to becoming a uke fanatic, I was crazy about all things acoustic...
  8. jwieties

Raleigh NC - New Uke Jam

Lots of cool uke stuff going on in the Triangle over the next couple months. UOGB, Little Rev and Aaron & Nicole Keim (check out gig and show section of forum for some details) will all be in the area. I learned last night that a new Uke Jam is about to get started in Raleigh. Sure to be a...
  9. jwieties

Aaron Keim (The Quiet American) North Carolina - Nov 7th Workshop and Mini Concert

Extremely excited to announce that Aaron Keim (The Quiet American) will be offering a Workshop and Mini-concert North Carolina. Here's the details: Date: Nov 7th Place: Durham NC - 5103 Revere Road - Baha'i Community Center Time: 7pm - 9pm Cost: $20 I'm a huge fan of Aaron's music and when...
  10. jwieties

Run and Tell Your Daddy - David Newton Tenor

Been wanting to post something with my new tenor... This is "Run and Tell Your Daddy" as played by Del Rey on her blues DVD. It's not yet under my fingers the way I would like. Ultimately need to be able to sing with it, but not there yet. Also, my little point and shoot camera doesn't do the...
  11. jwieties

The Cure's "Love Song" covered by The Sidekicks

As a teenager, my wife loved The Cure. For her birthday, my "band" decided to cover Love Song as one of her presents. Managed to get it done without her knowing (the 6 year old has loose lips :)) and posted it on her facebook page. I've never been much of a singer, in fact I hate singing, but...
  12. jwieties

David Newton Dias Tenor

Thanks Perry. Here's my current pack. The Covered Bridge concert and Newton tenor are perfect compliments.
  13. jwieties

David Newton Dias Tenor

Here's a few build pics that I believe further highlight David's tremendous skill.
  14. jwieties

David Newton Dias Tenor

Been wanting to post this thread for a few weeks now. I've had the great fortune of having David Newton build me a tenor ukulele based on his Dias body style. I'd like to start by saying it was a pleasure to work with Dave. I really wanted to simply tell him to build a tenor that he would...
  15. jwieties

Band Names, and Your Role in the Band?

SideKicks I play ukulele, my 8 year old plays guitar and my 6 year old plays percussion/keyboards. The youngest loves soccer and came up with the name when he was thinking of "soccer phrases". He didn't appreciate that it had another meaning, which of course made it all the better. Here we...