Recent content by Kelali Kev

1. K

From satin to gloss

If you are sure that it has a lacquer finish now, you can lightly etch and clean the surface and spray on a thin coat or two of gloss lacquer. I would only buy instrument lacquer like Cardinal from LMII because it is more flexible. However if you are not experienced in lacquering you could open...
  2. K

Filling The Gap

You can use medium super glue, but since you have shellac on it now don't use an accelerator which may affect the shellac. It may take several coats to bring the groove up to flush to where you can sand it flat.
  3. K

Moisture content of sides post-bending

Having cracked a few sides in my early building days, I have made it a routine to bend the sides before starting the rest of the construction. That gives them a few days to sit and relax in the holding form, and let me know not to put all the time into the back wood if the sides won't work. I...
  4. K

Should I Buy One?

I bought one and did not care for it. It ended up throwing a piece of wood across the room. Probably user error, but at least you can return it to Stewmac under their satisfaction guarantee.
  5. K

Source for Baritone Tonewood

Woodsfromthewest.com and notablewoods.com both carry baritone sized back sides and soundboard wood, and both have different types from each other. You sometimes need to get guitar sized wood at a decent enough price to use. LMII has Baritone size fretboards, but I believe only in Ebony.
  6. K

Building a String-Through Bridge

All you have to do is drill a 1/16 inch hole where you would have drilled the pin holes, and countersink the opening a little to round it off. Soprano is the one size I would not try it on though since the sound hole is too small to easily fetch the string out after feeding the string through...
  7. K

Staining Ebony

I like the natural streaking, and have had customers request streaky ebony, so I have never stained any of mine.
  8. K

SOLD: 5 sets of Der Jung tuners, free if you pay shipping

I bought these after reading about Der Jung in the forum. I bought 2 types and liked one type, but was not fond of these Grover copies. They cost me $70 including shipping from Germany. They would work well for a student or low cost instrument. These have the short string post for headstocks up...
  9. K

SOLD: 5 sets of Der Jung tuners, free if you pay shipping

I bought these after reading about Der Jung in the forum. I bought 2 types and liked one type, but was not fond of these Grover copies. They cost me $70 including shipping from Germany. They would work well for a student or low cost instrument. These have the short string post for headstocks up...
  10. K

FS: New Guitalele just completed

Kelali Baritone sized Guitalele with 20 inch scale length. Walnut back and sides with an Engelman Spruce top, a combination suggested by a UU member. Features Walnut neck, Pepe Romero UG1 strings, Ebony fingerboard, and Rosewood bridge. The fingerboard is 49mm at the nut with strings spaced...
  11. K

For sale: 3 new Kelali Baritones

The Redwood and Walnut sold to a musician in Southern California already, the other two are available for sale on my website Kelaliuke.com with additional pictures and prices with buy now PayPal buttons.
  12. K

Tenor Form

Jerry, The template is both the back side and top side on one template. Hopefully it is to scale which would make it easier to use. The lower bout cross brace is for the back and the upper and middle cross braces are for both the top and back. The bridge is transposed over the bridge patch which...
  13. K

Stringing a new Ukulele

Even the next day after stringing a new instrument there is a big difference in sound due to the wood adjusting to the new stresses.
  14. K

For sale: 3 new Kelali Baritones

From left to right: All Honduran Mahogany body, All Hawaiian Koa body, and Walnut body with Curly Redwood top
  15. K

wood selection

I was in the middle of writing this recommending the redwood, when you just posted. Good choice.