Recent content by kissing

1. kissing

Strings experiment with guitar strings! (low tuning pt 2)

No worries. Mine is also based on trial and error. It's also supported by the fact that D'addario's Concert ukulele gauges are the same as the 4th-1st of their Normal tension Classical guitar set. And their Tenor ukulele gauges correspond to Hard Tension Classical guitar.
  2. kissing

Viva la vida (Coldplay) covered on multiple instruments

Thanks! It was the Beats Buddy Mini 2, with the optional footswitch. I've been having a load of fun with it.
  3. kissing

Do ukulele players have favorite key signatures, for ease of playing?

If I'm playing with my band (casual arrangement, nothing serious) or performing a gig, I usually have a guitar and an ukulele. Between the two, many keys can be covered without the need for a capo. If regular ukulele tuning is too bright for my needs, I also have a Baritone tuned to GCEA one...
  4. kissing

Strings experiment with guitar strings! (low tuning pt 2)

Here's how I approach using classical guitar strings. First 4 strings (4th-1st, or DGBE) of a classical guitar set are G C E A (low G) for Sopranos, Concerts and Tenors. Middle 4 strings (5th-2nd), or ADGB) of a classical guitar set will tune to D G B E (Baritone ukulele tuning) on Concerts...
  5. kissing

Buying to Try

If it's something like a nut or saddle adjustment and other basic setup jobs, I spent some time learning how to do them and buying some of the tools. If there is a problem with a nut, I have a set of nut files, or can fill in the slots as per instructions here...
  6. kissing

Recs for removable pickup/mic for smartphone?

They're still readily available. The iRig Acoustic stage is, I suppose an 'ok' solution. The limitation is that it's a bit cumbersome to setup and play. After placing the mic into the subhole, a thin cable comes out of the mic into the main unit, and an instrument cable comes out of the main...
  7. kissing

Your better and wilfully retained mass manufactured Sopranos

I have a humble Mahalo "Les Paul" acoustic-electric soprano that keeps making it back to my stable no matter how many times I get rid of it. So at this point there's no point selling it. Plus, they're harder to find nowadays as a discontinued model.
  8. kissing

Strings Risa stick soprano strings

It doesn't matter, they tune to GCEA just fine
  9. kissing

Strings Is there an easy way to tie (tie bridge) wound strings?

It is not essential and doesn't really do anything besides looking a bit neat. Purely up to preference. I prefer to cut the ends without tucking, like this:
  10. kissing

Aria ACU-1?

I've tried and owned several Aria instruments, ukulele, guitalele and classical guitar. All have been great and punch well above its price. With action, you'll have to do some measurements. Do you have a string action height ruler? The ones you would use on guitars works on ukuleles. Measure...
  11. kissing

If Taylor were to produce a ukulele, the USA made elite series by Kala would be it.

There are societal differences in how people approach cars and ukuleles though. Cars are more strongly seen as status symbols and there is a whole market to appeal to rich people who can spend over $100K on a car to show off. Ukuleles are (relatively speaking) niche and I don't think the market...
  12. kissing

New Buttons Day for Risa Sticks

Great work! I once did a similar thing, but made them black-white-black-white. I can't find a photo of it I'm afraid as it was a while ago :(
  13. kissing

Strings Risa stick soprano strings

I'm not a fan of fluorocarbon strings in general. Every time I use fluorocarbons, they feel skinny, tight and aren't the optimal thickness and feel to accommodate my finger picking style. I think their popularity may stem from the fact that they tend to be louder and brighter sounding...
  14. kissing

Viva la vida (Coldplay) covered on multiple instruments

Hi all, here is a multi-instrumental cover I recorded over this weekend :)
  15. kissing

Loudest soprano

I see that the usual suspects have already been mentioned (Koaloha, vintage Martin). The loudest conventional soprano that I have played in person and own is this Mele Kalia solid cedar top I encountered by chance at a local music shop in refurbished condition. The recording probably doesn't...
Top Bottom