Recent content by McCall

1. McCall

Muting Question

Hello, I’m trying to learn the song On the Sunny Side of the Street from a video by Cynthia Lin (see the video link below) and I have a question. The part that I can’t figure out is how she is getting the muting effect on her chords during the verse part of the song (for reference listen from...
  2. McCall

Sitting position when playing a soprano

Hello, I’m not sure if anyone would be able to answer this question, but I thought I’d give it a try. When I play my soprano, I’ve always sat down and used my strumming forearm to pin the uke against my chest. But lately I’ve seen some videos of professional level uke players sometimes sitting...
  3. McCall

Does switching between different sizes of Ukes slow progress?

Hello, I’ve been playing for almost two years now, and I’m trying to improve as much as I can. I regularly play two sizes, Tenor and Soprano, and I was wondering if splitting up my practice time between different sizes might slow my overall progress. I enjoy playing both sizes but wonder if I’d...
  4. McCall

Chord Change Question

Hello, I’ve been having trouble with a particular chord change for a while now and haven’t been able to figure it out so I thought I’d ask the experts. The chord change I’m talking about is E minor (0432) to B7 (4320). As I lift my fingers off the first, second and third strings, to move them...
  5. McCall

Clawhammer Question

Hello, I’ve recently started to learn the very basics of Clawhammer Ukulele and have a question. When I use my index finger to play the melody note (the “Bum” in “Bum Ditty”) it’s fine on the C and E strings, but I have a problem on the A string. Right after my index finger hits the A string...
  6. McCall

Splitting Up My Practice Routine

Hello, I started playing the Ukulele about a year and a half ago. I’ve had a pretty steady practice routine where Ive made an effort to practice pretty much everyday, usually around 45 minutes or so. My routine has always been to run though everything I’ve previously learned, then work on...
  7. McCall

Finger placement when fingerpicking a melody

Hello, I’ve been working on learning how to fingerpick, and I’ve run into a problem. Fingerpicking patterns and arpeggios are going fine and make sense to me. The problem is when I try to fingerpick a melody it all seems like a confusing mess. I think my questions are basically these: First...
  8. McCall

How to position my fretting hand

Hello, I'm new to the Uke, and I have a question about changing positions with my fretting hand. As a very simple example of what I'm asking about, when I'm fretting, say, a C7 (0001) chord, sometimes my fretting hand is pivoted way up the side of the fretboard, so that the side of my hand is...
  9. McCall

What do you consider to be “the basics”?

I know this is a pretty subjective question, so I’m just looking to hear some opinions. I’m a beginner with the Ukulele, and I think that the best way for me to learn would be to focus on getting down the basic skills as sort of a baseline before moving on to working on playing actual songs. I...
  10. McCall

Ukulele strings losing volume?

Hello, I’m a total beginner so please bear with me if this is a dumb question. I got my first Ukulele about two weeks ago. It’s a Soprano with Nylon strings, just a cheap beginners Ukulele but it seems fine for me to learn and practice on. I’ve been practicing about an hour a day, mostly...