Recent content by Moore Bettah Ukuleles

1. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Cherry necks, any good?

That's exactly what I use, with CF rod. Cherry would be too heavy IMO.
  2. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Damn open pores

I power sand my fill coats too, 220 On a medium setting. Success with that really depends on the backing pad you are using and a light touch. For that stage I use a very soft pad (Festool). You probably can’t see the infilled pores because they are packed with dust. ‘Here;s my email...
  3. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Damn open pores

Just a thought, maybe you’re sanding back too much, especially on your initial coats. On my first pore filler coat I’m just really knocking back the dust nibs and raised grain. I think what happens in many cases is that people sand fill coats too aggressively and keep exposing new pores that...
  4. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Last of the Days of Bling

Always been Moloka’i. Just like the Big Island is Hawai’i. But the state is Hawaii. Don’t ask me why. Just like in Hawaii the instrument is known as ‘ukulele.
  5. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Moloka’i is the best of all the Hawaiian Islands. But please don’t tell anyone! Living there on the beach for 10 years was truly a dream. I’ve been trying to find a similar experience since in Hawaii but haven’t come close. There are two distinctly different sides to the island, the east...
  6. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

What problems do you see with radius fretboards?

Classical guitars have flat fretboards. Until recently you’d only find radiused fretboards in electric guitars. To the OP’s question, I prefer flat boards, especially on something as narrow and an ukulele FB. With my two personal MBUs one is flat and the other is radiused. I really can’t...
  7. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

When When I read it I thought some governmental body passed a law declaring that there should be no more inlay on instruments for whatever reason. With all the bans and restrictions on materials that inlay artists use it was a natural deduction. For a minute I thought I was out of work!
  8. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Bob, the brake issue might be from driving through rain water. It’s intermittent. I don’t care, with Saddle Road closing down soon due to the lava there’ll be no place to drive to anyway. You must have a nice view of the lava up where you are. This is much 4th flow in 18 years. I’m over...
  9. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

These are ukuleles we’re talking about. They are supposed to be fun instruments. Just having some good natured fun in these dreary times. As far as helping Pete out, well he didn’t ask for any, and I know him well enough to know he likes a good chuckle. Pete knows he’s well loved and...
  10. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

The few haoles on Moloka’i never felt comfortable in Misaki’s so they shopped at Friendly Market. I lived there for 10 years in the mid 80s. Maybe thing have changed. (What am I talking about, it’s Moloka’i!) Being in south Kona you might know Dave Sigman, a good builder who recently moved...
  11. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Misaki’s is better though. More local. And how about Taki’s hardware store? Could find anything there! Where you live on BI? BTW, Pete and his lovely wife were in BI a few years ago.
  12. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Here’s the view from Hilo town. The flow is not currently posing any danger to people or property (except for the wild goats that call Maunaloa home). Only hazard is from vog for people who live downwind. Nasty stuff. Maui and Oahu are getting vog now. These photos are inspiring me for new...
  13. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

I don’t know about that, but we‘ve got two volcanos erupting here on Big Island at the same time. Pretty exciting.
  14. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Pete’s only going there on Holiday. But Eric DeVine recently moved there. To the hot and dry side. Good weather for building ukes where he is. The photo that Bob attached above is of Kalaupapa on the backside, non accessible by car. It’s the former leper colony. Gorgeous place. Does anyone...
  15. Moore Bettah Ukuleles

I only mentioned it because Pete’s going there. And I was just trying to derail his post further! ;). We lived on Moloka’i for 10 years back in the 80s. It’s a very special place. Now this train has totally gone off it’s tracks! You‘re welcome Pete! ;)