Recent content by NotoriousMOK

1. NotoriousMOK

Do you use a strap?

I sometimes use a strap on my tenor and I think it gives me a little more freedom when plugged in (the weight of the cord messes with my balance a little). I happened across a shell belt/strap type thing in a friend's shop that I thought would make a neat strap and put it to use -- otherwise, I...
  2. NotoriousMOK

added two strings...

Well I finally broke down and bought a guitar -- sure is purty, but my sissy-la-la fingers are adjusting slowly to steel strings :p here's a little humble beginnings and a bright future ... happy strummin' ! MOK
  3. NotoriousMOK

Mini-Kani in Lake Elsinore, CA Thanksgiving -- Interested??

I am a member of Elks Lodge No. 2591 in Lake Elsinore, CA. Each year my lodge hosts a free Thanksgiving dinner for our senior citizens who live in Lake Elsinore and surrounding cities. For a variety of reasons I'm sure, the mass of these seniors simply don't have a family to spend this holiday...
  4. NotoriousMOK

Is Salt Lake City, UT anti-ukulele ???

So it is rumored (usually claimed as a fact) throughout the internet that a law exists in Salt Lake City, Utah which 'prohibits carrying of an unwrapped ukulele on the street' -- some sources further specify that this law only applies on Sunday. I took a quickie search through the city's...
  5. NotoriousMOK

Mission Statement on main site

I think we need a mission statement out on the main site, "front street" if you will, right on top adjacent to or directly beneath the UU logo. Something that tells the first-time visitor what we're about and what to expect. While the main site has tons to offer this first-timer, there's not...
  6. NotoriousMOK

Recurring threads bringin' ya down?? (1st uke, Strings, LowG etc)

What kind of ukulele should I buy? What are the best strings? Re-entrant or LowG tuning? Is NotoriousMOK really THAT notorious?We've all seen threads with the above (and similar) titles, and I've noticed a colorful mix of responses when they come about. Some who have been around a while have...
  7. NotoriousMOK

Konabob's Walkingbass

Anybody on here have or played one of these?? I'm hoping to get my hands on one when the uke fest comes to town late this year. Rumor has it they are wicked simple to learn and I really like the portability for campfire stuff, drum circles, uke jams etc. I'd also be interested in what sort or...
  8. NotoriousMOK

Wikipedia

I realized today that we were not listed in Wikipedia (under 'ukulele') as an external link, so I added us, now we're top of the list -- here comes the wave! (I hope :p)
  9. NotoriousMOK

TuxGuitar - Cool new practice/training tools

The newest version of TuxGuitar has a couple neat new features that I've tried out and it works pretty well. The one that stands out is a new 'speed trainer' that allows you to play all or part of a tab file in a loop -- yeah, big deal, the other part of this is you can set it to playback...
  10. NotoriousMOK

Nice surprise at a local strummers club tonight . . .

I took off early from work tonight to join the Kolohe Ukulele Club's weekly practice in Huntington Beach. I like to join this group as they play mostly the traditional stuff, which I like. Unfortunately my work schedule, and the fact that traffic time makes it as much as a 90 minute trek from...
  11. NotoriousMOK

IZ: 'Ama'Ama

I love this song, anybody have it chords/tabs/whatever??? Thanks
  12. NotoriousMOK

It's not the first time I did the happy dance for a g-string . . .

But this time its a new uke! I proud to say that my UAS is satisfied for the moment, as my new GString Tenor arrived today from MGM/MusicGuyMichael. This guy really is the bomb dealer for taking care of your UAS fix! I only ordered this late Thurs. and it shows up today in SoCal a full two...
  13. NotoriousMOK

Chords from a melody?

So I've got this little melody laying around in my binder (sorry, don't know the name). I want to play the melody I have and record another track of a basic strum (rhythm I suppose?). Now I have a decent grasp of chord construction and scales, so the basic question is, how do I pick chords...
  14. NotoriousMOK

So what do you do . . .

. . . when you're waiting no-so-patiently for your pretty new ukulele to arrive? I finally got around to throwing some dough for a new Gstring, and the ticks of the clock are slower than a line dance at a senior center. Hah, along with the new uke I'm waiting on strings too 'cos the ones I've...
  15. NotoriousMOK

Do you have a Flea/Fluke with an undersaddle pickup?

I want to install an undesaddle pickup in a couple of these, but I would like to see the end result on a factory unit before I tackle this. If I get the first done without too much trouble, I'll post a 'how to' video on the remaining ones. Anyways, if you have one, would you please post a...