Recent content by oldtimestrings

1. O

Kiwaya student concert vs solid wood imports?

Hi all, I'm in the market for a mahogany concert in the $250-ish range, and I'm curious about the Kiwaya Student series KCU-1. I know it's a laminate but by all accounts it's a thinner, lighter, more resonant, higher quality laminate. And yes, I know these are made in China and don't have the...
  2. O

Martin M620 (tenor) strings on a concert?

Hi, I've been using Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings on my Ko'olau koa C-1 concert lately. I like them, sweet and clear, but overall they are a bit light. I really like the slightly heavier C string, but the relatively light gauge of the other strings doesn't always give me enough roundness of...
  3. O

Kanile'a vs. Ko'olau concerts

Aloha everyone, Another question for the combined wisdom of the forum. I'm interested in any experience or insights you might have comparing the Kanile'a and Ko'olau concert ukes. I realize that ultimately these kinds of questions lead to "try them and see which suits you better" and "you can't...
  4. O

FS: Kala KA-SMHT Solid Mahogany Tenor Ukulele

Nearly new Kala KA-SMHT ukulele. Solid mahogany top, back, and sides, with matte (satin) finish. Ebony nut and saddle give this instrument a warm and rich tone. Plays beautifully w/nice action, good response, excellent intonation. Nearly mint condition. Bought this brand new a few months ago and...
  5. O

Ko'olau KS vs. Pono MS

Hi folks, I'm wondering if anybody has any experience directly comparing these two sopranos. I know both are Ko'olau products, the KS made on O'ahu and the Pono made in the company's Indonesian facility with final setup in Hawai'i. I also know about the price difference, but if we take that out...
  6. O

String suggestions for mahogany tenor?

Hi folks, Just picked up a Kala solid mahogany tenor, which I'm enjoying very much. Lovely instrument that I preferred over the Kala acacia tenor because of the mahogany's warm tone. It sounds good with the stock Aquila strings (wouldn't have bought it if it didn't), but I'm already thinking...
Top Bottom