Recent content by PetalumaRescuke

1. PetalumaRescuke

Does Your Favorite Sounding Ukulele Have A Straight Grain?

Have some nice old growth 1"X16"X6' redwood planks, I offered them to an experienced luthier, he said they would make a nice counter top, they were not quarter swan.
  2. PetalumaRescuke

Staying is time in a Ukulele group

I find that some people like to rush through songs often between verses, bridges and even between lines. even though they keep a beat
  3. PetalumaRescuke

Your summer vacation...with ukes

Don't remember what this one is or if I still have it, but the memory lingers on.
  4. PetalumaRescuke

My journey through the world of tablets.

Have used a Nook HD+ for many years. I made a stand and holder out of a picture frame and tripod that lost it's trey. The files are PDF that I transfer from my Mac using the charging attachment (USB on one end). It was inexpensive at the time and now used ones go for around $30 new at $100 Any...
  5. PetalumaRescuke

SOLD: Martin Style 2 Soprano: Vintage Beauty!

Absolutely agree with Ernie. If possible do a hand off and get the bonus of talking ukulele with him.
  6. PetalumaRescuke

Building a String-Through Bridge

I install bridge plates on most, Martins have that cross piece that is Mahogany so I don't, However when the bridge has been removed, I harden the hole with a drop of Supper Glue with a waxed wire inserted then removed when set. Caution test this technique first for wax effectiveness. I use an...
  7. PetalumaRescuke

Uke Near-Scam Experience on Craigslist

The buying scammers were the most troubling, They wound send by Fedex, a fat check that would turn out worthless and attempt to have someone pick it up. Thought the over payment was too good to be true and it was. I researched the check.
  8. PetalumaRescuke

Building a String-Through Bridge

I use or install a hardwood bridge plate, have a set of drills that will match the string size + a hair. if using the 1/16 drill use a fairly large bead. I have addressed a blown out slots on traditional bridges by drilling a hole through the slot for an easy fix.
  9. PetalumaRescuke

Uke Near-Scam Experience on Craigslist

I don't sell or buy on Craigslist anymore , too many scammers
  10. PetalumaRescuke

Straps

It never occurred to me to hang the strap over the right shoulder! I tried it and it works except when I sit down the strap does slide off.
  11. PetalumaRescuke

How has your playing changed?

"notes are in the left hand, music is in the right". Never more true today. Not playing in a group these years has softened my strum, I'm using finger (upstroke) and thumb (downstroke) pads. Early on I got Uncle Charlie's Tutorial Video. He taught how to hold a ukulele first then how to strum...
  12. PetalumaRescuke

ukulele with no bracing or kerfling

1950s Gretsch Sopranos had no kerfing.
  13. PetalumaRescuke

Flea bridge

Be glad they changed the bridge design. I just repaired a blown out Fluke bridge. Screws damaged the sound board.
  14. PetalumaRescuke

Restoring A 100 Year Old Aloha

Warms my heart to see this ready for another 100 years
  15. PetalumaRescuke

shipping cost

I recently researched the cost of sipping a tenor case in a 12X12X36 box, at USPS,FedX and UPS the cost was far greater than the item. Is there a better reliable way?