Recent content by quiltingshirley

1. quiltingshirley

Help with fretting using only 3 fingers

I’ve hesitated to post cause it seems I should be able to solve this problem, but... Almost a week ago I took a “small” hunk from my middle fretting finger at the last joint near the tip. (It looks big to me but now that it has a dressing covering it...) So I have my index, ring and pinky...
  2. quiltingshirley

Andrew Molina workshop/concert

We went to a workshop followed by a concert at Anacapa Ukulele in Ventura yesterday afternoon outside under overcast clouds. It was given by Andrew Molina accompanied by his father Jay on the bass and guitar. What a great way to enjoy a day. I was in awe of both of them. They both have a finger...
  3. quiltingshirley

Would you leave instruments out during fumigation?

If your home was being tented for termites would you leave out your wooden ukes or take them away from the house?
  4. quiltingshirley

What Musical Gifts Did You Get

I got an unexpected gift from our 2 daughters and their families. S8omething I've never seen before. It's a Woodrow stick dulcimer. It's like a small lightweight thing with 3 strings and 7 uneven frets. Luckily it came with a book and DVD which of course I haven't looked at yet. I've tuned it A...
  5. quiltingshirley

LA international Uke Festival instrument

I have a question. If you were going to the festival next Saturday and planned to take a variety of classes, would you replace the Low G on your concert or tenor for a high G or just take a Makala Dolphin so you can play in the Jazz workshops. The action on all play well up the neck but I...
  6. quiltingshirley

All those stray cases

We live a block from the ocean so humidity isn't a problem. We've got all the ukes, bass, and guitars hung. Only way they get played so all those cases and bags. The rack will work if we bring it inside and fill. took 2 pics but they need to be rotated Is there a way I can rotate them for...
  7. quiltingshirley

All those stray cases

We took some scrap lumber and made a rack to fit in the garage. Got them off the floor and easy to locate no matter what instrument we're taking with us. Except for the upright bass, the case is big even folded. Hope the picture shows up. Ok, you've got to flip the picture to see it. 3 shelves
  8. quiltingshirley

Kamaka Ohta-san 50th Anniversary - owner pictures

I ordered mine from the factory when I was there. It is date stamped Nov 27, 2012. Mine is Koa with a spruce top. Love it, it really does "play it's self".
  9. quiltingshirley

Visit to HMS

Last week we took a visit to the North Shore to see the Hawaiian Music Supply store (The Uke Site) First, let me tell you that it's a small store with more ukes than I've ever seen in one place! Corey was working and he let me play lots of ukes. For the first time ever I was so overwhelmed, I...
  10. quiltingshirley

Hawaii's getting closer

Got an email about the upcoming Hawaiian Ukulele Cruise with Mike Lynch and his wife. It's only a couple of months away and it's starting to seem close. (I booked it months and months ago) We're looking forward to playing ukuleles all the time. We'll have morning and afternoon classes with Mike...
  11. quiltingshirley

A Christmas Uke

My grand daughter never played the Dolphin I gave her so her mother covered it with family pictures and re-gifted it to us this Christmas. Love it! With all the coats of decoupage she put on it, it'll never get in tune again but it looks great on the wall.
  12. quiltingshirley

What is the difference in Old Time vs Blue Grass Songs?

I saw a group listed called California Old Time Fiddlers. I know they have acoustic instruments like bass, guitar, banjos, fiddles, Ukes, etc. They said they play Old Time and Blue Grass songs, no popular stuff. I get that, but what is the difference between Old Time and Blue Grass music? I...
  13. quiltingshirley

Uke A-Lomg at LA Music Center Saturday

Are we the only folks going to the LA Music Center tomorrow? Printed out the info they sent out and it sounds great. I want to learn it all and I'd like to work on that song by Phillip Phillips "Home" too. Hard to decide on the workshop I want to do. They all look hard. Cool Chords, yeah, want...
  14. quiltingshirley

LA Expo Update

Well, it took place yesterday with just over a thousand of my close ukulele friends. We didn't break the record but we sure had a good time. Thought I'd post a picture or two. I'm sure others that were there have more to say.
  15. quiltingshirley

California Uke Academy (5/29-6/1), Who's Goin'?

Did we have fun? This picture just shows some of the fun I had Friday night at Open Mike (1st time ever)If I knew how to do it, I'd post the group shot but you have to go to Facebook to see that.