Recent content by RafterGirl

1. R

Which finish

I live in a dry climate (Utah).....hot in the summer, cold in the winter. The body of the uke doesn't matter so much to me, but I'm picky about the neck. I much prefer a satin neck over a glossy neck. Even when it's cold, my left/fretting hand can get warm and sweaty, which makes moving around...
  2. R

Strap Pros and Cons?

All my ukes have 2 strap buttons.....tailblock & heel. I have tried a variety of straps and chords tied to the headstock & didn't like that. If I'm sitting and practicing or just dinking around, I'll just let the strap sit in my lap. But as soon as I'm playing for real, whether that's sitting or...
  3. R

RIP Nanci Griffith

We lost another wonderful folk/country singer on Friday. Nanci Griffith was 68. I have long adored her beautiful and quirky voice, and her wonderful music. I've spent the day working on "The Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness" written by John Prine & recorded by Nanci. Hopefully I can play this...
  4. R

Really dumb question about baritone music

I've made a PDF for a song to share with my uke group using Ozbcoz.com. I like ozbcoz.com because I can change the key, edit the music as I see fit, and create a new PDF to send out. It has the chord fingering diagrams on the side for people. Now I want to create a baritone PDF of the song for...
  5. R

A Fun Afternoon

I took my mom to the theater yesterday to see the musical Always....Patsy Cline. We had a blast. Such great music and an entertaining story. My local uke groups play some of her music, (Walking After Midnight, Crazy), so I was singing along. Now I have some other songs of hers to look up and...
  6. R

Beatles book for Christmas gift

I got my young adult nephew a tenor uke last Christmas. I'd like to send him some music books this year. I'm thinking about a book with Beatles songs. I see there are a few choices on Amazon. Any recommendations? He's an intermediate player with a little guitar background. Any other books other...
  7. R

Stu Fuchs and the ukulele family

In April of 2019, my local ukulele group leaders arranged for Stu Fuchs to come to Salt Lake City to do a workshop. It was wonderful. Stu is a great teacher. His love for the ukulele, and his ability to share that with people is so awesome. He was scheduled to return this summer, but, you...
  8. R

Time After Time by Chet Baker

Looking for the chords to this 1940s song by Chet Baker. I can find people playing it on the ukulele on You Tube, but not with the chords.
  9. R

Mic question

I have a Shure MV88 mic for my iPhone. I've used it a little bit. My church has started doing services on Zoom, and so far we haven't tried adding music into the service. We might start with just having someone sing or do an instrumental piece. My Shure MV88 connects to my iPhone via a lightning...
  10. R

Martin ukulele on Antiques Roadshow

I love watching Antiques Roadshow on my local PBS station. Old “stuff” fascinates me. About 20 years ago the show came to Salt Lake City, and my mom & I got tickets and went to the show. We brought a few of our family keepsakes to be appraised. Our items weren’t worth a lot, but we had a...
  11. R

Guitar blasphemy .....but Wow!

I know, it's a guitar, but I think this is so cool. A member of my church band turned me on to this young man last Sunday. Some of you may have seen or heard him before, but I don't think he's been mentioned on UU before. Kent Nishimura. He plays the rhythm, melody, bass, and percussion lines of...
  12. R

2020 New Years Goals

These were mine for 2019...... 1. Gain confidence in playing & singing in front of people. 2. Learn more chord melodies & a little bit of finger picking. How did I do...... 1. Getting better. I played solos for uke groups and at church. Singing still needs a lot of work. 2. Getting there. I...
  13. R

aNueNue Blackwater strings

I've kept the Blackwater strings on my aNueNue Moonbird for a year. I thought I'd change them at some point, but I never did. I know others didn't care for them, but I've been happy with them. It's getting to be time for a string change on my Moonbird, and I need more of the Blackwaters. I know...
  14. R

A Good Day

Today was a good day in my ukulele universe. One of my groups did a Christmas concert at an assisted living facility. We've played for them a few times in the past, and they seem to enjoy it. This was pretty impromptu, with no rehearsal upfront. Our main leader was out of town, so another member...
  15. R

Quick NUD - Part 1

My Cocobolo concert #419 arrived today. It's a beauty. The mixture of dark red and light wood is stunning. I chose to try for this particular one in the lottery because of the amazing swirls of color, the mixture of dark and light wood on the sides, but mainly..... it was the eyes. There are two...