Recent content by Rakelele

1. Rakelele

Show Us Your Favorite Non-Uke Instruments

Sounds just like a regular trumpet. But it takes more effort to play due to the many bendings, I notice that I get tired more quickly.
  2. Rakelele

Here is another small favorite of mine: the world's smallest pocket trumpet, still tuned to Bb like a regular trumpet. As with the uke, I have really come to enjoy small and portable instruments.
  3. Rakelele

I habitually use a strap, but it's not really necessary as this sax is so lightweight and also so short that you can't just let it hang down while playing. I do think that it sounds (and feels) more like a "real" saxophone, just shrunk down. I also prefer the "saxy" look over a straight soprano...
  4. Rakelele

Here is mine, a curved soprano saxophone. Just like a uke, it is so tiny and cute...! And so portable!
  5. Rakelele

Anyone played a new Oli uke?

Thanks for providing insight into your new line of ukes as well as everything else that is going on at The Ukulele Site, @AndrewKuker
  6. Rakelele

New Uke Day (NUD) Kala Contour Spruce and Rosewood Baritone

Congratulations, looks and sounds great! Any idea where this model is made? Could it be rhe same factory as the Anuenue Moon Birds??
  7. Rakelele

Kala CT-SMH-TG Contour Series Tenor - REVIEW

Anyone know where these are made?
  8. Rakelele

does anyone have kala - contour series?

Anybody know where the Kala Contour line is made? I thought maybe Java, like the Kala Metropolitan line, but can't find anything to confirm.
  9. Rakelele

Hi

Hi and welcome to the forum! The word "swiss" in your user name got me curious: Are you from Switzerland? Me too!
  10. Rakelele

Song Help Request Name of this Song?

Yes, this is "Always with me" from the movie "Spirited Away".
  11. Rakelele

Kanile'a Oha new product line

That's what I meant in my earlier post about the neck being assembled from several pieces. Not sure if "laminate" is the right term here; the necks are glued together from several solid pieces.
  12. Rakelele

New Uke Day (NUD) Koalana Soprano

Since you mentioned playing comfort: Does it feel like a KoAloha? Is the neck shape, nut width etc. the same as on a "real" KoAloha? Or is it just a "Kala dressed as a KoAloha" (quoting @UkeStuff)?
  13. Rakelele

Pono Master Series Review - Spruce & Rosewood Tenor

Always good to add factual data. In order to give some idea on how much specific densities of different wood species may play a role in the overall weight of an instrument, here are the measurements of the Pono tenors I have owned: Pono AT Acacia with Satin finish from 2011: 630 grams Pono...
  14. Rakelele

Pono Master Series Review - Spruce & Rosewood Tenor

I would attribute this weight difference mostly to the specific density of different wood species (the Pono homepage has all the scientific details behind it): Rosewood is much denser and therefore heavier than other tonewoods such as Mahogany, Mango or Acacia/Koa, which all have a similar...
  15. Rakelele

New Uke Day (NUD) NUUD: Ko'olau Tenor Delux - Spruce/Rosewood Slothead

What a great catch, I am so happy for you and wish you years of enjoyment!
Top Bottom