Recent content by rustydusty

1. rustydusty

String spacing too wide

I measured all my ukes, and none of them are gonna fit... 😬
  2. rustydusty

Traveling Bridge

Gorilla glue is a joke. As a life long woodworker, I tried it a couple of times and it was extremely messy to work with (foaming up) and had poor holding power. The "yellow" wood glue should hold, but I always use the gray water resistant type...
  3. rustydusty

Uke buzz when lifting fingers - speed makes it worse what am i doing wrong?

You will improve. This is the whole point of practicing, the more times you do it, you will incrementally get better. It takes a lot of work. Sometimes I get on my wife and kids nerves because I might do a rift over and over until I get it right (or at least better)... I also practice with some...
  4. rustydusty

Help with strings, please

Is this guitar steel string or nylon...
  5. rustydusty

Amp recommendations

My "CoolMusic" 80w amp has two instrument inputs (as do lots of amps) and two vocal inputs, but only one set of controls for each channel. I'm not sure how two different artists on two different instruments are going to want to play on the same settings...
  6. rustydusty

Steel strings on a baritone ukulele...

Holy sh☆t! I plugged this into my 80 watt "CoolMusic" busking amp and this thing rocks! I actually hadn't tried this uke on the amp when it was strung with "nylon" strings as I was mainly using my Clearwater baritone with a passive pickup. It worked okay, I wasn't at all impressed with it's...
  7. rustydusty

Ukulele Rack? What are the alternatives for displaying ukuleles?

I like to hang mine on the wall. I rotate the group with other ukes, guitars, and dulcimers that I have...
  8. rustydusty

Vaseline On Machine Heads

I've got this stuff called "Key Tone Line" guitar lubricant that was sent to me by mistake when I ordered some string ties. It's a synthetic non-petroleum product for tuners and lubing the nut slots. I tried it on one uke and really didn't notice a difference. Haven't used it since. When I...
  9. rustydusty

Unwound baritone fluocarbon or nylon ukulele strings

I'm going to throw in my vote for Worth "clears". Put a set on my Clearwater baritone and they seem loud and bright...
  10. rustydusty

Aquila Nylgut Advice

The overhand knot is correctly called a "half hitch", the figure 8 knot is also referred to as a "stopper knot", and as name implies, it's used to keep your line from passing through a "fairlead" on a sailboat ⛵. There's more information than you will ever want or need from a lifelong sailor...
  11. rustydusty

TUS/HMS Communication Issue Resolved by Andrew

"Let it go, let it go, turn your back and slam the door" (Elsa from "Frozen") Much adoo about nothing... Dude, your playing was good, but you shouldn't have recorded it outside... How do you know that every other submission was represented?
  12. rustydusty

I have two other baritone ukes that I would not try it on, but this one is built like a tank...
  13. rustydusty

So far, no signs of warpage. The uke does seem to be over built, with quite heavy bracing. I like the dimensions better than tenor guitar with a wider nut and smaller body...
  14. rustydusty

IT'S ALIVE!! Just installed the steel strings and it sounds great. Intonation seems good, the tension feels about the same to me (light bronze strings) and the sustain is remarkable. This is an all solid mahogany uke with a built in pre amp and tuner. I imagine that the "purists" would tell me...