Recent content by saltytri

1. S

Using CNC To Build Ukuleles - Good or Bad?

In case there is any doubt, Pete knows what he is talking about. Consider the possibility that a piano factory with a staff of employees and higher production numbers might present a very different situation as compared to an artisanal craftsman. The idea that costly CNC hardware and software...
  2. S

Using CNC To Build Ukuleles - Good or Bad?

http://onoukes.com/blog/2018/9/27/cnc-fretboards-and-inlays 1. pocket slots for frets 2. logo inlay Except for these uses, I prefer to handcraft my instruments.
  3. S

Bridge Problem

Drill straight down through the top and make that one string a "string through". Use a small drill bit, not much larger in diameter than the string. Push the string through until you can fish the end out through the sound hole. Back the knot up with a bead that is large enough to spread out the...
  4. S

Moore Bettah scratch repair

By all means, see if Chuck can be helpful. Attempts to fix even minor cosmetic issues can make matters much worse rather than better unless done by an experienced person who is familiar with repairs and with the particular methods and materials that were used to put the finish on in the first...
  5. S

New Onos

Lately, I've been working out a new construction method. The description is a little too long to post here so I've put the details in my blog at: http://onoukes.com/blog Here are two instruments that are built with the new technique. The first is a Pheasant wood tenor that will soon be off to...
  6. S

New Ono Tenor - Claro Walnut and Port Orford Cedar

I've just completed this 17 inch tenor and it will soon be available at TheUkuleleSite.com. The back and sides are remarkably figured and colored claro walnut. The one piece back is unusual because it's not easy to find wood of this quality that is wide enough. The top is master grade Port...
  7. S

Stew-Mac Spool Clamps

24 Stew-Mac Spool Clamps. Barely used. $100, includes mailing in conus only.
  8. S

New Ono Tenor - Bubinga, Ancient Spruce and 18" Scale

Yesterday I took photos of this new tenor before packing it up to send to the owner. The back and sides are unusually figured bubinga that shows both curl and quilting. Both are laminated with combinations of bubinga, cherry, maple and Adirondack spruce. The top is ancient spruce that took on...
  9. S

New Ono Amazon Rosewood Tenor

This is a 17" tenor built with laminated sides and back. The sides are three layers with Amazon rosewood on the outside and inside and ebony as the core. The back also has Amazon rosewood on the outside and inside and Adirondack spruce as the core. The top is Adirondack spruce with Adirondack...
  10. S

Ono Myrtle Tenor

This new 17" tenor has myrtle back and sides with a creamy Port Orford cedar top. The body and fretboard bindings are curly koa. Spherical fret ends are an extra touch that improve both the feel and appearance of the radiused fretboard. It's strung with the excellent "soft" Uke Logic strings...
  11. S

New Ono Baritone

This is some very unusual claro walnut. I've seen it called "marblecake," which is just somebody's idea of good marketing but, nevertheless, that's a pretty good description. The construction is my new laminated technique with the inner layers being some nice but less distinguished claro and the...
  12. S

New Laminated Ukuleles from Ono

For the past year or so, I’ve been working out techniques to laminate sides and backs. The point isn’t to streamline construction and it certainly doesn’t do that. The goal is tonal with the secondary advantage of durability. This is not the sort of lamination that we see at the lower end of the...
  13. S

Shop-Built Bridge Clamps

If off-the-shelf bridge clamps don't do it for you, try making them from a steel drawer pull, aluminum tubing and standard furniture bolts that are widely available at hardware stores.
  14. S

Problem with login

I’m unable to connect to the UU server from a Mac using either Safari or Chrome. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?
  15. S

Ono Cocobolo Tenor to Benefit Fire Victims

We're up the road a ways from the horrible fire in and near Paradise, California. Through a local nonprofit, my wife and her buddies are getting together a package of clothes, toys, other items and cash for a family that lost everything. All proceeds from the sale of this instrument will be...