seeso
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I've been building for a number of years (not too much, just behind KoAloha). I had a GREAT teacher in Mike Uyeno, although he says I'm a better student (that he has to ask me for help now). I've studied a lot about the craft, although I don't consider myself a luthier. I take the Paul Okami approach, and call myself a craftsman. That said, I've come to know the Okami's very well. Paul has been over to my house more times than I care, and I have an open invite to walk into their shop anytime (which I do). I think I mentioned that I taught Paul how to do inlays. They even give me kudos on their website, in their gallery of custom instruments. Paul and I trade off a lot of ideas with each other, and we both have affected each other's builds (although he'll readily admit to those close to him all the stuff he steals from me - of course, I do the same).

I'm very fortunate that I get also get to interact with guys like Derek Shimizu (my classmate, sort of) and Casey Kamaka (who I've discussed Inlays with). A legend whom I consider a friend is Rick Turner as well as his manager Barry Perlman (a legend himself) - two GREAT guys out of CA. I've learned a lot from Rick and Barry from picking their brains. I think Larry Robinson had the most impact on my Inlays, not only from his book, but the 45 minute one-on-one session that I had with him a couple of years ago (Rick gave Larry his start in the Inlay business).

I try to keep in mind that, unlike what you said about me knowing so much, I'm still learning. I have my instruments where I want them to be, now its the inlays that are stretching my craft. I just delivered Ledward Kaapana's `ukulele last night. That was the most extreme instrument to date, and is the start of a direction I'd like to go. While Grit Laskin's inlay may seem too "out there", his artwork is unreal, and very doable. I've found I like doing faces.

As for you learning from my posts, this is what I enjoy. I hope I'm not too overbearing for this forum, because there seems to be a number of beginners that I hope take my posts from a sharing knowledge standpoint, as you do. I don't know everything, but what I do know and have experience in I share in hopes that others don't learn the hard way (as I have at times).
    LOL, It won't take long before you're above me again. I'm pretty sure once I'm done typing this you'll have regained the title.
    Hey- freerice.com- nice, I'll pass that around. I feel like I've just taken the I-STEP test all over again. Who doesn't need better vocabulary skills? I think I'll put my kid on this website and call it our homeschooling for today :)
    Not sure why, but much appreciated. Still trying to get used to working within online forums.

I usually actively engage in luthiers forums, and have stayed at FMBB for a while. UU is pretty cool, sort of reminds me of a "younger" FMBB a few years back. I think you guys do a good job at moderating - that can't be an easy thing.
    haha aww i'm just not cool enough for more than one friend. i guess it's good that at least my one friend is cool!
    Wassup Seeso? I'm good, just got my wisdom teeth out 2 days ago! It's all good though! Cheers, Alex
    SWEET!!!! I'd Karma/Rep you but it won't let me. I'll send you a pair of puppies instead!
    :love:Seesooooo...babyyy I'm back!!!! thanks for the thread...u are THE man!!!
    luv ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:
    Hey I added you on Facebook... But without it saying UkuleleHill I figure you might not know... So... When you see Andy Hill its me...
    thanks a lot for the friends add
    just wanna say i love your youtube vids,
    they're inspiration
    Definitely will! And same for you if you ever make it down to Australia. I'd love to show you around, and looks like there are a few of us here on the boards now too :)
    Hey, yourself!

I've been playing Time in a Bottle all morning- beautiful arrangement.

Did you enjoy your time in Indiana?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…