Recent content by spookelele

1. S

milled/cnc + effects = future, or novelty?

We are seeing more ukes now being milled from a solid piece rather than bent/glued from Tyde, and Enya, and probably others. They don't seem to be on par with hand built yet, but they are already surprising decent. On top of that, the enya milled is adding effects to acoustic, like the lava...
  2. S

How Do You Restring?

This is how I do it. doesn't slip, and to take it out, you don't have to untie anything, just push the string
  3. S

Willie K does the star spangled banner

The man has soul
  4. S

cordoba mini and using regular classical strings

So.. I needed new strings for my mini... and Ive always kinda.. thought the stock strings were a little... lacking. On my tenors, I've been heavily favoring TI cf30/27/fc trebles. So.. I was thinking.. why not just try the TI classical set that has the flat wounds i like on my tenors. The...
  5. S

Gibson considering making ukes after bankruptcy reorg

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1JN3AL Not Epiphone..
  6. S

old growth vs new growth trees in relation to instruments

Someone on a social networking site.. posted a picture that has me really thinking about wood used for instruments. We hear things like. kanilea planting forests of koa because of the shortage of wood. Spruce/cedar/etc are also in this same boat. People have speculated on why stradivarius...
  7. S

foldable travel uke kickstarter

this one's not my cup of tea... but it will probably be someone's. Looks tech and snazzy, but not sure about how it sounds. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152538038/astro-the-first-smart-foldable-ukulele
  8. S

Kanilea story on cnbc

Interest artical/interview with the Souza's https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/02/kanilea-ukulele-makes-millions-selling-ukuleles-from-hawaii.html But.. $50 islander?
  9. S

fascinating watch, luthiers for a cause vid

Excellent job splicing the cuts and matching levels. I was really surprised how simliar the tones were. The kinnard was the only one that really stuck out as significantly different. In the first play, I wasnt watching, just listening, and didn't realize that the instrument changed until the...
  10. S

Is it really fishing line?

Nylon: It's straight. It will always grow linearly, and then gets wadded up in a glob Flourocarbon: From left to right, you can see what happens when it polymerizes and gets longer. It starts to branch and bind back to itself. If you want to think of it.. like untangling xmas lights. A...
  11. S

What's the deal with clip on tuner on the headstock?

I think this is another issue of YMMV. Weight on the head... isn't always bad. There is a school of thought that says weight on the head increases sustain. Fender and other places make clamp on weights for guitar heads specifically to increase sustain...
  12. S

technique question

Not a uke... but any one know what he's doing to get those harmonics? It appears to be something with his thumb knuckle? It seems to be very accurate and fast. Id like to learn it, but i can't tell how he's doing it.
  13. S

Rosewood fretboards vs Walnut fretboards.

The problem with maple:
  14. S

Thomastik classical guitar flatwound strings

Don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it's how I do it, and it works for me.
  15. S

Left hand thumb

Do you use your left hand thumb? I was told early on in guitar, not to use thumb. But I'm not sure that was good advice. * for clarification, I was told that thumb was not to be used to fret, just for pressure.