Recent content by Sporin

1. Sporin

ANyone Try the GHS artist series strings?

Strung mine up on Saturday and a few notes... I tied all but the C string. The C was the only one who's end knot was large enough to trust. In fact, I used it on the E string and it popped through my bridge while tuning. So 3/4 are tied the conventional way and I hope the C knot holds because I...
  2. Sporin

Baritone players, was it hard to make the switch?

Pretty much the title.... Baritone players, was it hard to make the switch? I know the chord shapes are the same as on a regular uke but the notes are different so I'm thinking it would be relatively easy to adjust. A buddy is a uke builder and he stopped by last night with the 2 Bari's he...
  3. Sporin

NUD - Kala KA-STG from HMS

Kala KA-STG from Hawaii Music Supply, setup with Worth Brown Low G strings and the K&K Twin Spot pickup. First impression is that it's very light, definitely lighter than the older Islander laminate that it replaced. The glossy finish is flawless, and assembly and over all fit and finish...
  4. Sporin

FS: Islander MT-4

FOR SALE: Islander MT-4 Mahogany Tenor Ukulele Pono Passive Pickup Great Condition, a few extremely light marks that don't really show in pictures. Strung with a new set of Low G Living Water strings UkeCrazy Canvas covered case Cost over $350 new, setup by, and shipped from Hawaii Music...
  5. Sporin

Uke sing-along songs for K-3rd graders?

I'm an occasional substitute teacher and on Thursday I am subbing for an elementary school music teacher. I've got free reign on the K-3rd graders and she asked me specifically to bring in my uke and tell them about it and lead some sing-alongs. I wondered if anyone had suggestions for easy...
  6. Sporin

Buy a new amp? or a small mixing board?

I have a small Line6 Amp but it's only 1 channel. Sounds good, nice effects when I want, quiet when I don't, loud enough. I'd like to turn this into a simple live gig setup by adding a mic. Would I be better off to buy a 2 channel amp? Or should I just get a simple board instead? Bonus with a...
  7. Sporin

Are we discussing the HMS Kamaka Giveaway Photo Contest?

Did I miss where people were discussing this or are we "not" discussing it? :) I assumed that most of us had entered so I didn't plan on asking for votes but I'm surprised I didn't see any posts discussing the contest itself (as their had been for the Blackbird and Pono giveaways). So, new...
  8. Sporin

The "I bought an Outdoor Uke" thread!

Top post on their Facebook page...
  9. Sporin

New Custom Sailor Brand uke!

Uke Republic/Sailor just posted this on Facebook, it's so beautiful!!! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588555074502758.1073741825.178196065538663&type=1 I would not have guessed that the black stain would be so appealing but it almost looks like charcoal and with the spruce top and...
  10. Sporin

Solid Spruce Tops

I feel like I'm seeing more and more ukes with solid spruce tops lately. Is this a trend or was I just missing them before? Who has one? Do you like it? Does it give it a more guitar-like sound? What spruce top ukes do you like/covet/want/etc?
  11. Sporin

Who's excited to hear the winners in HMS's Trivia Contest/Pono Giveaway?

I played every day, did lots of link tweeting, and did ok on the questions themselves. Can't wait to find out if I got lucky!!! {fingers crossed} :D :D http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-trivia-contest:iwant:
  12. Sporin

Would you rather spend...

So I've got 3 ukes, a Dolphin (for the beach and my son to noodle around with), a Kala Concert (a gift from my wife that started it all... but is rarely played) and my Islander Tenor Laminate that I got from HMS with a passive pickup installed (this is my "expensive" uke, expensive for me...
  13. Sporin

Aquila Red Ukulele String Set Sound Sample

Audio sample/review of the new Aquila Red Ukulele String SETS. These are full sets of strings using the copper-loaded technology that Aquila pioneered with their Red Low G strings. I quite like them, I like the softer feel under-finger and the tone is very good to my ear. They settled into tune...
  14. Sporin

Indoor Sound vs. Outdoor Sound

Anyone find they prefer a certainly uke more indoors or outdoors? Reason I ask is that I took both my Dolphin (with D'Addario strings), and my Kala Concert (laminate mahogany) camping this weekend and far prefereed playing the Dolphin. Outdoors, the Dolphin sounded so much better to my ear...
  15. Sporin

NEW formulation Aquila Red Series Strings!

Hey everyone, I’m really excited to finally be able to reveal something I’ve been working on for the last few weeks. As readers of my blog know, I was a big fan of the sound of the new Aquila Red Series strings, but had broken 2 very quickly. Much discussion here on the forums revealed that I...