Recent content by Tom Snape

1. T

Tenor scale with more frets to the body.

Not exactly the same thing, but the Vega "Solo Lute" c1955 was a baritone scale ukulele with the neck joining the body at 16th fret. You might get some idea of the proportions of your project from this. The Solo Lute scale is at the long end of the baritone uke range at 21", which does keep the...
  2. T

Thickness planer

I have the Super Max 19-38 and I can't recommend it enough. It has become one of the most used tools in my shop besides my band saw. I was leery of the cantilevered design, but I've used it for wider table tops, following the instructions, and it's worked great. The drum is mounted very rigidly...
  3. T

Vice verses Vise

I splurged for the S-M vise a while back and I use it constantly for hold things I'm working on. I have a made some working platforms that I clamp in the vise, and can then clamp the work to the platforms in different ways. For example, a thick piece shaped like a uke body, with a long neck...
  4. T

Beginner Ukulele Builder…Question

Here is a picture of a pair of sides for a baritone. The ends are taped together with masking tape. The template is also taped on and you can see the profile for the back of the instrument. In this case I left the top edge straight. The black lines of the pattern can be seen through the tape.
  5. T

What's happening in your shed?

Ken, the only problem with that uke is that it needs a neck. I think I see a suitable piece of mahogany elsewhere in the photo...
  6. T

I've always taken my wood to thickness first before cutting out shapes. I suppose for sides it could work either way assuming one edge of the board is straight. I prefer the idea of thicknessing first so that I am looking at surfaces that will be close to the final surface of the instrument...
  7. T

I do what Sequoia and Ken describe; cut the profiles on the selected pieces of wood before bending. I'm one of those guys who won't put blade to wood until I've drawn it out in CAD. I figure out my side profiles in CAD and then print out paper templates that I temporarily stick onto the wood. I...
  8. T

I'm Not Giving Up

You can learn more about this method by searching for "slipping the block"
  9. T

Baritone uke bridge etc

Measurements from examples I have here: (Measure center-to-center of outer strings) Favilla: 40 mm (four different examples, ranged from 39.5 to 40.5) Vega: 44.5 mm Harmony: 41.5 mm Bushman: 46.5 mm
  10. T

Something I've been wanting to do

I'm always looking for useable free or cheap wood. I noticed this pallet out back at work a few weeks ago because some of the wood looked pretty nice. After I got it home and cut up I realized that the middle six boards on the deck were cherry. Not high grade, curly or anything, but mostly...
  11. T

The Pixelele

Just finished this for my grandkids. It's has a baritone scale. The body is mostly poplar. Pixelele Pixelele
  12. T

LMII Offer

I'm not taking sides here, but I've been using the Antes plan since at least 2004, before the Grellier plan was available. I have one Style 1 Martin as a reference (not sure how old, but not an "early" one). and the body shape profile matches both well. What I noticed is a few mm difference in...
  13. T

Carving neck jig video

Sure is a lot more elegant than my big old C-clamp method.
  14. T

My Worst Oopsie

Here's another good goof. I sawed the scarf joint in this koa neck the wrong direction. The only way to salvage it was to place the joint in the middle of the neck. It worked out fine in the end. There is a CF reinforcement in there too.
  15. T

My Worst Oopsie

This was a cherry concert, given to a friend. The repair is not invisible, but no one complained.