Recent content by vahn

1. V

Would this work significantly better than a DIY p/u?

I was wondering about some of your thoughts about this item here and if you guys think the addition of the wood would give it any major improvement compared to a DIY "the shack" pickup
  2. V

Better at Guitar?

So I started playing music about a year and 3 months ago after a solid year of mastering Guitar Hero. Guitar completely replaced the game as my daily 4 hour past time and about 6 months later I discovered the uke - it seemed to be the perfect fit as it was guitar like but guitar hero controller...
  3. V

Give someone a guitalele contest

So recently I have been trying to sell my Strunal 1/4 size classical guitar. Times have been rough lately for me and my family, but honestly I feel like someone who would buy it would probably play it once and a while and let it sit as it has in its life with me. I used to use it a lot for...
  4. V

FS/T Strunal 1/4 classical guitar (guitalele)

Strunal 1/4 size Classical Guitar (Guitalele) Solid Cedar Top Tenor Scale Tuned ADGCEA w/ D'addario Pro Artes (Savarez Classical strings included) Laminated Mahogany Back and Sides Slotted Headstock Extremely tight tuners (not sure of the brand) I use this mostly for hands on transposition of...
  5. V

Saga Electric Mando kit

Has anybody used this kit http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=MT-10 to build an electric solidbody uke?
  6. V

Need some help deciding

Hi so I just sold off a couple ukes lately and I have a bit of extra $$ lying around for a low end uke. I've got a tenor kala solid lacewood w/spructeop and a tenor eleuke, I'm looking for something smaller (on the aforementioned I use low G, so I'm thinking for something reentrant) I've got...
  7. V

New Mainlands?

Anyone been to the mainland uke site? Aside from that new honeybee mahogany soprano that I've heard about, theres several new ukes up (without pictures) Of: Classic mahogany concert w/slotted headstock, mango pineapple, soprano, concert, and tenor, and a mahogany Baritone. I cant wait to...
  8. V

For Sale or Trade: Solidbody Concert Electric, "Guitalele", Lanikai 0-8

Update: Just selling the Strunal 1/4 guitar Concert Scale Jupiter Creek Solidbody Electric: (SOLD) Solid Mahogany Jarra Fretboard Steel Strings Telecaster Bridge/Pickup (telecaster bridge is fully adjustable for action and intonation) Tone and Volume Control Sealed Geared Tuners 2 Strap...
  9. V

replacing a plastic fretboard

I just bought a Roy smeck harmony uke on ebay. I was wondering how feasable it would be to change out the plastic fretboard. It looks like it is just screwed on. Where would I be able to get a replacement? Would a luthier be able to make one for me, and if so what would be the approximate...
  10. V

Got my new Uke today

Got my new uke today from MGM a Kala solid lacewood with spruce top. Sounds great, really projects, nice bright cheery tone. The lacewood looks awesome, like a quilted maple almost. Heres the pics: Love how the headstock is like layered or w/e with lacewood on top, looks real nice...
  11. V

Original Ohai Ukulele

When I was poking around a Kamaka gallery link from another post I noticed this: Historic Ka-Lai Pineapple (30's) Ka-Lai pineapple built in the late 30's. It was built in the Spanish style with one-piece construction of the top and back. The back and sides are made of Philippine mahogany. The...
  12. V

Returning my Ohai Tenor...

So finally something bad to say abt the 'Ohai... It started seperating on me. I have to send it back to get it repaired. To anyone who got an Ohai: I would stay away from flourocarbon strings, i think the higher tension did it though I had EJ46 High Tension D'addario pro artes on with no...
  13. V

AHHHH!!! Carbon Treble Intonation Problems

So I went from bieng an Aquila guy to trying new strings to see what works best for me on my O'hai Pono Tenor. The Tenor came with Ko'olau golds, which were a bit to warm and deep for me (thinking its the wound C) and the strings were a bit thick, but easy to play. I slapped on Aquilas and...
  14. V

Savarez question

I was looking at changing out my aquilas on my Ohai Tenor... I was wondering what savarez strings would work good with say a pono koa tenor... I was also thinking of trying worth browns. I didn't really like the depth of the ko'olau golds that came on it and while I like the aquilas I've only...
  15. V

Ohai pono: The verdict

So for fathers day my children and their mother gave me "$200 towards a musical instrument", knowing my Love for music but not knowing specifically what to get me. So, since my birthday is coming up I thought I could apply my money those funds and potential birthday money for another low-mid...