Recent content by Wildestcat

1. Wildestcat

Baritone uke bridge etc

I use 14 mm between string centres, i.e. 42 mm between outer string centres. Works for me!
  2. Wildestcat

Zero fret

Gypsy Jazz eh! Check out Fylde Guitars Remi Harris Signature model ... Roger Bucknall has used zero frets exclusively for his entire illustrious career of building some of the best acoustic guitars for some of the best players on this planet! https://www.fyldeguitars.com/remiharris.html...
  3. Wildestcat

Ebony fretboards

Every picture tells a story ...
  4. Wildestcat

MISI / LR Baggs string balance

No, I didn't extend the hole in the far end right down through the top. only enough to retain the transducer end. It is angled, so no problem to drill right through, it's just the hassle of re-threading the transducer that puts me off for now. I should have added that the saddle does meet the...
  5. Wildestcat

Converting lumber - the ultimate high

Just an update on the fish cutting bandsaw blades I mentioned earlier: As an alternative to the no longer available 1/2" fastcut blade I'm very pleased with them - results are at least as good if not better. I've just cut 6 x concert/tenor sets of English walnut plus 6 sapele neck blanks from...
  6. Wildestcat

MISI / LR Baggs string balance

I've just installed a MISI/Baggs pickup in a tenor at my customers request. The MISI has been installed exactly per the instructions, even down to the slight angle on the bottom of the (correctly fitting) saddle, and the slight extension of the end of the transducer into the end of the slot...
  7. Wildestcat

What type/style clamps do you use when seating a ukulele bridge?

There is a fitted caul inside the instrument retained by rare earth magnets, which I had removed when the photo was taken to improve access for cleaning up any glue squeezeout. The deep throat G clamps are from Axminster in the UK, though not sure they still stock them. The top caul has...
  8. Wildestcat

Screen format problem. ( continued from the 16-32 sander thread below)

My view of the UU forum on my PC has defaulted to this: Very grateful for any assistance in getting back to the old version! I have posted this from my Android phone which still has the original format and from which I can still post pictures! Both versions I now realise are "VBulletin"...
  9. Wildestcat

Useful tools

Or if you have a Black & Decker workmate or similar, here is another possibility to consider:
  10. Wildestcat

back of the headstock ideas please

It is actually roughed out to within a millimetre of final dimension - the picture was taken with a finished neck inserted for the photo. Two or three passes through the sander taking off a minimal amount with a 120 grit sleeve is all it takes. Maybe the volute I leave under the nut end is...
  11. Wildestcat

back of the headstock ideas please

Bandsaw close to finished thickness, then bobbin sander with fence clamped to the table. The top face is finished flat with a handplane and sanding board beforehand. Sorry the picture is a bit out of focus, but you get the idea!
  12. Wildestcat

Pic's of where you live

Chirk canal aqueduct and railway viaduct just down the road from me.
  13. Wildestcat

A different kind of Jet drum sander problem!

Sorted! I've bypassed the switch on the back of the PCB. I'm not recommending this as a solution since it means the conveyor is always running, but since I power it through the outlet socket on my dust extractor it means the extractor keeps running as well, so I'm unlikely to forget and leave it...
  14. Wildestcat

A different kind of Jet drum sander problem!

This time with my relatively new 16-32, a machine which I have otherwise been extremely pleased with. Whilst adjusting the conveyor belt speed with no load on the belt, the conveyor suddenly stopped and would not re-start. Operating the speed controller/on/off knob revealed that the on/off...