Recent content by willr

1. W

Cone swap

I am not familiar with Sound Smith, but if the coverplate is a little over 6 inches wide, the National cone should fit. (I think most import cones are copies of the National) I have installed National cones in a Kala tenor uke, and in two tenor guitars from JN Guitars I upgraded the 2nd...
  2. W

Cone swap

I have upgraded a uke and a tenor guitar with new National Resophonic ukulele cone kits. National does not sell the uke cone by itself. It is a kit: the kits I received were three pieces: cone, bridge/saddle, and screw. You could use the original biscuit/saddle, but some of the imports are...
  3. W

Cheap resonator upgrades

I upgraded the cone in my Kala tenor resonator with a National uke cone kit. The sound is VERY much improved. The National uke cone kits cost around $70-$80: the cone is an exact fit (since the import cones are copies), but there is a lot of work involved trimming the saddle. (I don't know...
  4. W

Baritone GCEA Round One

Another option: a baritone tuned to octave-GCEA. I play along with other instruments and got the stink-eye when I stumbled playing "uke unfriendly" keys. When you use a capo with octave-GCEA, it sounds musical, instead of plinky... "standard" tension classical-guitar strings are too floppy...
  5. W

Pickup in a soprano

You can purchase the microphone direct from IK Multimedia for $30 (US). I bought one as a spare.
Top Bottom