Tuning up

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I read in several threads where one tunes up higher than standard tuning for their instrument. What is the purpose of tuning up? I would think that that would put too much tension on the bridge and maybe pull it loose. Educate me please.

It's not uncommon practice to tune up to D-tuning (A, D, F#, B).
Since it's just one note up from GCEA, the tension usually won't be too much, especially on a Soprano.
I read here and there that in some parts, this is the default tuning for Soprano ukulele.

Purposes?

-More trebly, bright sound
-Some may prefer the string tension at this tuning
-Different tuning might make it easier to play in certain keys or match certain voices.
People use a capo to move the tuning up a bit sometimes.

I tuned steel string ukes up to DGBE (octave higher than baritone) using particular strings.
That had interesting results :)

D tuning - as described above - used to be standard tuning for ukuleles back in the day, particularly for sopranos. It's still relatively popular in certain places, such as Germany and Canada.

I have a few vintage ukes that I tune to D. Really brings out the best of them. Some people indeed prefer the higher tension and/or pitch but it's all subjective. If you'd like to give it a go I'd suggest using either string sets that are meant for D tuning or lower tension strings that you can tune higher without too much extra tension. My favourite by far is the D'Addario soprano clear nylon set which really gives a very vintage type of sound.

I owned a soprano earlier this year that just was not perfect. After contacting both uke and string manufacturers that it would be safe to do I tuned it up to D and this resulted in noticeable improvement. The uke was louder and had better intonation. I also thought it was easier to play, particularly for chord melody and fast leads as the slightly higher tension seemed to facilitate more precise playing and a lower chance to play accidentally sharp notes.

Johnny, I'll "second" what the other members have said above. I prefer the soprano size, but always had the nagging sensation that the very popular "g C E A" tuning left the strings feeling just a little too "floppy" and the tone a little uninspiring.

Being primarily a solo performer, I'm at liberty to tune as I please, without creating complications for anyone else. So, sometimes I'll tune upward just a half step (one fret's worth), and on many sopranos that improves things significantly.

More often, I'll go ahead and tune upward a full step (two frets' worth) to "a D F# B"-- this eliminates that floppy feeling, and improves tone, volume, and intonation.

I tend to go with Martin M-600 strings, and I've never had an issue in terms of over-taxing the bridge or anything like that. In fact, my Martin S-0 soprano came with a "Care and Feeding" brochure which specifically recommended the "a D F# B" tuning (with Martin M-600 strings, of course!).

Now, on a concert scale uke, I've found that "gCEA" works really well-- nice tension, nice resonance. And on tenor scale, I'm a fan of taking things "down" a full step, to "f Bb D G", which to my ear really gives a tenor a nice smooth sound and just the right amount of string tension.

"That's my story and..." :)

Johnny, I'll "second" what the other members have said above. I prefer the soprano size, but always had the nagging sensation that the very popular "g C E A" tuning left the strings feeling just a little too "floppy" and the tone a little uninspiring.

Being primarily a solo performer, I'm at liberty to tune as I please, without creating complications for anyone else. So, sometimes I'll tune upward just a half step (one fret's worth), and on many sopranos that improves things significantly.

More often, I'll go ahead and tune upward a full step (two frets' worth) to "a D F# B"-- this eliminates that floppy feeling, and improves tone, volume, and intonation.

I tend to go with Martin M-600 strings, and I've never had an issue in terms of over-taxing the bridge or anything like that. In fact, my Martin S-0 soprano came with a "Care and Feeding" brochure which specifically recommended the "a D F# B" tuning (with Martin M-600 strings, of course!).

Now, on a concert scale uke, I've found that "gCEA" works really well-- nice tension, nice resonance. And on tenor scale, I'm a fan of taking things "down" a full step, to "f Bb D G", which to my ear really gives a tenor a nice smooth sound and just the right amount of string tension.

I recently changed strings on my Tenor using Aquila Strings, New Nylgut High G. The strings felt to stiff/tight and had no sustain. I usually drop the tuning a full step, 2 frets down, however, this time I had to tune all the way down to dGBE. My Tenor is a Melokia. The tag inside the ukulele says Melokia - Mele O Hawai'i - www.melokiaukuleles.com. What strings would you recommend for a warm sound with sustain?

I know that D tuning used to be standard. Does anyone here know the history of when island, C, tuning started becoming popular? I think it must have started back around the 1960s, because when I first started to play in the 1980s there were still a lot of books and chord charts in D. My interest waned, and by the time I got back to the Ukulele in the 2000s, just about everything was in C.

Johnny, on tenors I have had really good results with Martin "M-620" tenor-scale strings. I got a great feel and tone in the "one-full-step-down" tuning ( f Bb D G ).

Top Bottom