Review- Pono Deluxe Tenor Pineapple Ukulele

Excellent review! I especially like that you play first and then talk. Some reviewers talk a LOT before playing. And then, when they finally do play, they have a disdainful look plus a playing style that could make any ukulele sound pedestrian.

You, on the other hand, play in such manner as to let the ukulele tell us what it's got. Excellent!

Great review; I agree with bellgamin in that it's great that you play before talking. Glad to hear you've been able to get out and jam with other people, too! It's definitely been another rough year.

Side note, I'm still loving the Koaloha soprano I bought off you a couple months ago. Fantastic little uke.

Nice review on a nice uke. :)

Excellent review! I especially like that you play first and then talk. Some reviewers talk a LOT before playing. And then, when they finally do play, they have a disdainful look plus a playing style that could make any ukulele sound pedestrian.

You, on the other hand, play in such manner as to let the ukulele tell us what it's got. Excellent!
Concur.

IMO a common fail of many YouTube videos is the incessant blathering.

Very Good review Vic. Pono ukes are usually very well made. Have great sound and provide a lot of bang for your bucks.

BTW: MGTDP Stands for: MG=Mango; T=Tenor; D=Deluxe; P=Pineapple. (They use MG because just an M=Mahogany.)

Terrific sounding tenor and great review.

I have two Pono tenors - AT and MTD-SP……I like Pono a lot. I think I’d like a pineapple after this review. I like the playing first, brief discussion after format. Good for you. Having played standard shape Pono and now Pineapple Shape do they sound different! I listened to HMS video and Kalei states he likes pineapple and thinks body shape make it sound fuller! Curious on your thoughts.

I have two Pono tenors - AT and MTD-SP……I like Pono a lot. I think I’d like a pineapple after this review. I like the playing first, brief discussion after format. Good for you. Having played standard shape Pono and now Pineapple Shape do they sound different! I listened to HMS video and Kalei states he likes pineapple and thinks body shape make it sound fuller! Curious on your thoughts.
I played the Pono MGTP Mango Pineapple with a satin finish for a short time. (I returned it due to some flaws in the neck construction. The body was perfect.) Compared to my MGT double bout satin finish tenor, the Pineapple had a deeper more resonate voice. I thought it got a tad muddy strumming with the strings it came with. But they hadn't fully settled before I returned the uke. Picking was good, but note separation wasn't as good as the double bout. Again the strings hadn't settled in, so that was a quick impression. Intonation was spot on.

I had Worth Browns on the double bout at the time.

I played the Pono MGTP Mango Pineapple with a satin finish for a short time. (I returned it due to some flaws in the neck construction. The body was perfect.) Compared to my MGT double bout satin finish tenor, the Pineapple had a deeper more resonate voice. I thought it got a tad muddy strumming with the strings it came with. But they hadn't fully settled before I returned the uke. Picking was good, but note separation wasn't as good as the double bout. Again the strings hadn't settled in, so that was a quick impression. Intonation was spot on.

I had Worth Browns on the double bout at the time.
I had a Pono mango concert pineapple and I agree on the tone. It can definitely get a bit muddy, particularly with strumming. The stock strings don't help since they're quite similar to nylon with less brightness. I remember switching to fluorocarbons helped a bit but the characteristic of the sound still remains somewhat. They're great instruments but I did sell it eventually. Just didn't inspire me enough compared to other ukes I have.

what were the flaws? I got a Pono this year, thinking of maybe another!
The stack of the Mahogany wood in the neck was awful. One side had diagonal sap wood stripes while the other did not. The sapwood also had streaks through the mahogany that made it look like a finish flaw. Whomever glued up the wood paid no attention to the grain. The sanding and finishers didn't reject the neck. Just shoddy workmanship. Should have been made a blem.

I'd bought it as a gift, but sent it back.

The body was perfect. And sounded good. If a bit muddy.

The stack of the Mahogany wood in the neck was awful. One side had diagonal sap wood stripes while the other did not. The sapwood also had streaks through the mahogany that made it look like a finish flaw. Whomever glued up the wood paid no attention to the grain. The sanding and finishers didn't reject the neck. Just shoddy workmanship. Should have been made a blem.

I'd bought it as a gift, but sent it back.

The body was perfect. And sounded good. If a bit muddy.
So it was fine, just ugly?

So it was fine, just ugly?
It was at best a B-Stock or Factory Second build. Sure it sounded OK, but I sure as heck wasn't going to give it as a gift. And I resent a mfg/dealer charging me for a new, first quality product knowing that it was not up to those standards.

Sorry, but yeah. It was poorly made and ugly. And no, I don't accept a new instrument that I paid top dollar for, with construction and finish problems. It should never have been sold as a factory first. Period.

Top Bottom