Pictures of Ukuleles destroyed beyond repair!

Brockketcher

Reaction score
So many beautiful pictures of ukuleles on UU. I’m constantly trying to protect my ukuleles from being destroyed- from being destroyed by my kids, humidity, heat in my car, the airlines, etc…. So far I’ve been successful, with exception of some bumps and bruises. Anyone have pictures of their ukulele that just didn’t make it? Crushed, warped, or completely destroyed??!! If so, please share!

I have been lucky so far( knock on wood) with six tenors no damage. Three are in HSC, two in gig bags and a TT on a form fitting semi hard foam case. The protection on the latter is very good. All but the Fluke are in cases when not being played. The Fluke is so bullet proof and since it can stand in a corner near the couch it’s been fine!

I’ve traveled with most , even the gig bag is fine for the Fluke as long as you are careful, who dumps what into the overhead bin after you on the airplane. LOL

I’ve seen the odd pics of someone who has sat on their ukulele but I’m pretty careful. Interesting topic.

I also use Humidipaks, oasis in sound hole and other humidifiers to keep them at 55% humidity in the case.

I‘d like to get a Farallon someday. They are cool. I’d also like to get a Clara but I’m retired so for now, I baby what I got. I’m not suffering with six tenors. LOL.

Thanks for the chuckle, David!

A work colleague said "you're into ukuleles - you might be interested in one I have..."
It's a Sam Chang soprano, from around late 20's I think. Brought back to Australia from Hawaii by newly weds - Bernie and Pearl, purchased at Paul Summers shop in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. She was so annoyed at his incessant strumming (poor guy was just a conscientious practicer) that she smashed it over his head. Someone stored all the pieces in the original trapdoor case for 80 years and it came into my hands.
In honor of Bernie's innocent pursuit of uke proficiency I had it restored.
Plays beautifully, very loud and sweet... They can't stop the music !

Attachments

• first look .jpg
    first look .jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Sam Chang after.jpg
    Sam Chang after.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Sam Chang.jpg
    Sam Chang.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 67
A work colleague said "you're into ukuleles - you might be interested in one I have..."
It's a Sam Chang soprano, from around late 20's I think. Brought back to Australia from Hawaii by newly weds - Bernie and Pearl, purchased at Paul Summers shop in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. She was so annoyed at his incessant strumming (poor guy was just a conscientious practicer) that she smashed it over his head. Someone stored all the pieces in the original trapdoor case for 80 years and it came into my hands.
Love this. Little more then a light scratch on that one !

“As-is” on UU Marketplace: "One owner, gently strummed while in an abusive relationship...." : - )

Last edited:
Wonderful they saved all of the pieces. Great story. It's terrific that it sounds and plays beautifully. Makes the effort to restore it all the sweeter.

That's funny. My wife doesn't like the sound of the ukulele and my daughter plays everyday. I first showed this to my daughter and said, "That's what mommy wants to do to you." and she said she was thinking the same thing. I showed this to my wife and she said, "I guess she didn't have a room to escape to." My wife usually goes down to the bedroom when either of us start playing.

Great job.

My wife used to love my music, but has grown less tolerant of my strumming over the years. It's just that the uke is so easy to pick up all the time!
I used to love playing in the bathroom while my kids were in the tub - they're teenagers now and are a bit annoyed and kind of embarrassed by my musical stylings.
Which brings me back to Bernie.... Apparently he was quite dominated by Pearl. Family legend has it that she used to sew his pockets shut so that he couldn't spend any money. And they were quite wealthy - her family owned half of Brisbane's CBD, hence the Hawaiian honeymoon. He was a short and a bit rotund, with a bald pate - that would explain the extent of the damage!!!
His Hawaiian Music Primer (a Paul Summers book) came with the uke. I imagine him trying really hard, and finally having something of his own to enjoy - only to have it tragically, and violently, taken from him.
So I had to bring his uke back to life; for me, and for all the humble strummers amongst us.

Top Bottom