High End Kala fail

ukecaitlin

Reaction score
My friend just bought a new Kala KA-SAB-C-CE, at my suggestion.

Alas, it is a remarkably dead instrument, especially for the price, at the top of Kala's range. It is accoustically quiet with a thin sound, which for a solid blackwood instrument is surprising. (Blackwood, being very closely related to Koa, makes beautiful sounds, such as in my Scott Wise). And although it has a Fishman pickup it still doesn't sound at all sweet, unlike my Cole Clark, which is also quiet acoustically, but beautifull when amped.

Anyway, I feel somewhat responsible, having recommended high end Kalas. Does anyone recommend another model for her to swap to.

Not finding much on your model listed when I do an Internet search. Also, with respect, this doesn't seem to be on the high end of Kala. Their high end line is called their "Elite" series which are made in the USA. I have a Limited T version of their Port Orford Cedar / Koa... not a fan of the way the neck is shaped as you get closer to the body but it sounds really really nice. In fact, I'm culling my uke heard and keeping my Kala Elite over my Kanile'a and KoAloha.

I would def suggest a Kala Elite series. They pop up for sale on the Marketplace too.

Agree, not high end, but pricey enough for a Kala at $800 for a concert. She would haved fared better with an aNueNue AMM, I think. These are excellent for the money at under $600. Or a Romero. My mango Tiny Tenor sounds almost as good as my KoAloha KTM, and my aNUeNue AMM3 sounds almost as good as my Hawaiians as well. Or a Deluxe Pono, these sound nice once they open up. That being said, she should try a string change first. Kala usually uses Aquilas, which I think make their ukes sound very one dimensional, not rich and full. Try some fluorocarbons, like Uke Logic, Living Water, Oasis, Worths, etc. HMS recommended Uke Logics for my maple Kala, and it turned it into a completely different sounding uke, much more resonant with richer overtones. Unless she just wants to return it. For that price I'd be looking for a used Kala Elite. Or save money and get the aNueNue or Romero.

If your friend is thinking of returning the uke for something different, I would advise against changing the strings. If it sounds quiet, thin and dead on the original strings, a change is unlikely to transform it.

Factory made instruments of exactly the same model can vary considerably. Another Kala KA-SAB-C-CE could sound completely different. I have had just the same experience with Ohana SK35G solid mahogany sopranos - one was lifeless, another was really pleasing. I still own the good one fourteen years later.

John Colter

If your friend is thinking of returning the uke for something different, I would advise against changing the strings. If it sounds quiet, thin and dead on the original strings, a change is unlikely to transform it.

Factory made instruments of exactly the same model can vary considerably. Another Kala KA-SAB-C-CE could sound completely different. I have had just the same experience with Ohana SK35G solid mahogany sopranos - one was lifeless, another was really pleasing. I still own the good one fourteen years later.

John Colter
Agree, if she's thinking of returning it do not do a string change.

A lot of good advice has been given. To sum up, I would return it if possible. A string change may improve it, but likely never meet the initial expectation. For that price, you want something that completely meets expectations. I would take a reasonable financial penalty even (like return shipping).

If return is not an option, then a string change, likely to a fluorocarbon is called for.

Oh, if looking for a replacement, can you have her try your Kamaka and KoAloha. For a incremental price increase, one of those models may be a great solution.

Last edited:
I had to look this up and it seems to be an Australia only model. There is a very similar Acacia confusa Kala with slothead and similar fretboard markers. I found it quite appealing from the marketing specs, but when I played one in store it was a huge letdown with anemic sound. Except for some Kala Elites that were priced in the league of K brands I have not played any Kala that sounded particularly good to my ears, so maybe this is just the way they are and we have different tone preference than Kala lovers.

Top Bottom