Oh, the soprano...

Reaction score
Many people find the soprano to be a "unable" instrument. What are your experiencie playing this little fella? Have you ever feel limited in any way?

My skills typically limit me more than any instrument. The only "limit" I've found on a soprano (not due to my poor playing) has been trying to fingerpick songs that require more frets than I have. However I mainly use my soprano as a strummer, so not really an issue.

I started on tenor, moved to convert, and found my love for the uke with the soprano. It 100 percent matches what I like to hear and play. No desire to have anything else.

I actually think the soprano can be the most versatile! If you have a good resonant soprano you can equally pick it or strum it and have it sound beautiful. Also the extended reach you have on the frets is a plus for me. I’m probably biased though, since I love sopranos the most!

Just started playing Soprano uke after years of playing Tenor uke. I just purchased a long neck Soprano and that is working out very well for me.
At the moment I am playing more Classical music and that works better on a smaller uke.

Many people find the soprano to be a "unable" instrument. What are your experiencie playing this little fella? Have you ever feel limited in any way?
I own 12 ukuleles. One is bass, 2 are baritone, 3 are tenor, and 6 are soprano. I always grab one of the sopranos first to work out chords and rhythms, various filler notes, and general practicing. The 'tone and feel' of a soprano creates a very personal connection. I love the sound of tenor and baritone when I want to play 'louder.' I have never warmed up to concert size and have passed all those on.

It all depends what a player wants to do with their Uke. The Sopranos typically don’t work as well on the higher frets as the bigger Ukes and maybe don’t have the volume and depth of tone that the bigger Ukes have, arguably the bigger Ukes support a low G better too. However, for my use/my playing the Soprano gives me more of value than the bigger sizes do.

The shorter scale works well for me in normal play and is less of a difficult stretch than the bigger instruments would be, mostly I don’t need to go past say the seventh fret so the extra space and response up there fretboard has no advantages to me. The Soprano is easy to transport and easy to store / stow. I don’t find the need to play a low g either. A Soprano might be quieter than the bigger sizes (some certainly aren’t) but quieter has advantages and some like the cut through that a ‘Standard’ Soprano gives - I prefer the more balanced sound of the Pineapple version.

Does the Soprano hold me back? For some fingerpicking music (ie. specific issues) a Concert scale works more easily for me, but (with a little more effort) I could manage everything with a Soprano and if I had to pick one size and stick to it then it would be Soprano. The only thing that holds me back is lack of talent and lack of practice - suppose I better go and do some.

Last edited:
I just got an Ohana solid hog long neck soprano. Sounds really nice and easy to play (and very reasonably priced)! I like it a lot!

Of course I was being silly in my earlier post! I have three sopranos, one Sopranino, and a tenor right now. They are all great, but sopranos are my favorite.

Soprano is the scale of gentlemen.
Then, alas, I think I shall be forever banned from playing one. I must turn in my boater, flannel trousers, striped blazer and school tie and retire from the punt... 🧐

I just can't warm up to the soprano. They are fun to play but the sound just grates in my ears.

I don't mind people who play sopranos. Some of my best friends play sopranos. Well, no that's not true. All of my best friends play tenors.

My fingers trip up and run into each other when I play a sop. Just isn't for me.

I've found that the instrument matters a bit more with the soprano -- since all else equal, it is less resonant, especially with the higher frets. A good soprano with enough frets (in my book, say, 15) is very versatile though, and if you're adventurous you can even have it strung low G, Ohta-san style. Having a pickup (a light one, like Misi Trio pr LR Baggs 5.0) can also make more of a difference with a soprano.

Another aspect is the arrangement and style of play.... even with enough frets, it's hard to get good tone out of, say, the 14th or 15th fret finger-picked, so it's helpful to consider different techniques in those situations.

I have been playing a lot of soprano lately. It is so comfortable to play on the couch while watching sports.

I love my Ohana SK-38 I purchased from Mim over three years ago.

It is a vintage Martin copy. I have owned an older Martin in the past.

This Ohana looks, plays and sounds better than the Martin I had.

It is definitely a keeper and it has the ebony nut and saddle which Ohana eventually got rid of on this model.

Love this soprano. Currently has Aquilla Sugar Strings on it. High G of course!

Top Bottom