Wood colored paste for binding/purfling touchup

mandodiddle

Reaction score
I've always had a devil of a time with making maple binding gaps disappear in particular.
I came across this product recently and have been really pleased at how it can repair binding/purfling gaps of any colored wood.
Sometimes you have to mix colors to find the perfect touchup, but with a little bit of trial and error you can touchup almost any binding gap very aesthetically.
Give it a try if you have a need. (Got it for $15 on Amazon)

Attachments

• IMG_8518 (2).JPG
    IMG_8518 (2).JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 41
This is a great tip for fixing those little annoying gaps that can happen when gluing on binding. I sometimes get a small gap that always seems to be at the same spot on the inside edge of the upper left bout. It is small (maybe 1/32 of an inch or less) but it is a gap and I don't like it. Sawdust and glue always dries a shade darker so being able to match out of the tube is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

sawdust and glue always dries a shade darker
So we (I include myself in this group) have 2 other options:
1. Use a lighter shade of sawdust with the glue
2. Use dark binding. It seems the eye is very good at spotting thickness variations in a white line but not so good when it comes to dark lines.
Miguel

It is supposed to dry in 1 - 3 hours, but I'm finding it more like 24 hours before my fingernail won't put a dent in it.
(They just say that it is resin based.)

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind giving the name of the product? I can't quite make it out on my computer. Thanks.
Bob

SEISSO 12 Pcs Floor Repair Kit Cover Wood Furniture Scratch Restorer Filler for Wooden Table, Door, Floor, Desk, Cabinet ...on Amazon​

Bob, I had a touch up binding job that I had to leave for 48 hours before I could come back to it. This time I found the paste still a little soft. Haven't noticed that before, but all my previous binding touchups were much thinner.

I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps heat would help, like that from a hairdryer? My order should arrive today and I'm looking forward to trying it out!
Bob

The next question of course would be how it takes a finish. All I can find is that it contains "a natural resin" whatever that might be.

I have found that for matching things in a variety of woods, that artist pastels work very well. They are available in hundreds of shades (you need a good art supply store). Just rub them across a piece of paper and collect the dust. Very easy to blend a couple of colors. Work the powder into the crack or around the inlay, hit it with a little thin CA glue, and you are done instantly. The colors only darken a very little bit under CA, I think because the pastel powder already is stuck together (loosely) with a binder.

Top Bottom