Season #502 - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!

Hi Everyone and what a great topic.
Here is a song based on "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" by Pete Seeger.
I was involved with a group that was protesting against a proposed coal mine that could have endangered part Sydney's drinking water supply.
It doesn't happen often, but I got inspired and penned these lyrics.

When Maggie and I put our LP collections together, we both had Tom Lehrer LPs. A few decades later, we bought the complete Tom Lehrer boxed CD set.
View attachment 135984
I just got this out for the first time in years and discovered that one of the CDs is missing.
Much like a certain French Horn in a certain Flanders and Swann song !! LOL

Hello again, Jim! This is a reworking of "Lili Marlene." I have always thought that hanging around outside army barracks in the dark was not the most sensible way to spend your evening ... and this poor, innocent woman has been right royally "stood up" ....

Another reworking of "My Bonnie" this as performed and probably penned by Paddy Roberts. My Dad had this among others on an old, well old now ,brand spanny new then, Grundig reel to reel tape recorder the size of a suitcase!! I heard this in about 1964 and many of those songs I learned off by heart .I horrified my Mum by singing them in the garden one morning. They thought that I wouldn't remember them ..Ooops😈.

I imagine most places around the world have their own version of satirical news site. The US have The Onion, Australia has The Betoota Advocate. In the UK we have the Daily Mash. Problem is that the real world is giving these guys a real run for their money at the moment.

So seeing as October is just around the corner and a certain song will be played relentless, I decided to browse some news pages this morning and came up with this.

Am I allowed to submit a song when I'm the host? It won't be eligible for a prize, but here goes...
oh yes definitely, the host can bring songs to their own season... but as you say, mebbe not WIN it!

ok, i'm not the first brit to bring a fuel crisis song this week, and i don't expect to be the last! but here's "the fool on the hill" by the beatles, with new lyrics inspired by all the mad panic buying of petrol and diesel that we've got going on here in the UK at the moment...

Looks like the most popular topic for home made parodies is the fuel crisis. We've had song parodies from Chris (chris667), Lynda (bird's eye view of my ukulele) and Brian (pabrizzer) on that topic. It hasn't hit us Canucks yet.

Looks like the most popular topic for home made parodies is the fuel crisis. We've had song parodies from Chris (chris667), Lynda (bird's eye view of my ukulele) and Brian (pabrizzer) on that topic. It hasn't hit us Canucks yet.

It probably won't to be fair. For us it's less to do with a scarcity of actual fuel and more to do with a lack of people to bring it to the petrol stations.

Even then it was a small isolated problem that got blown up by the media, much like toilet roll last year.

For us it's less to do with a scarcity of actual fuel and more to do with a lack of people to bring it to the petrol stations.
Even then it was a small isolated problem that got blown up by the media, much like toilet roll last year.

And an even bigger lack of common sense and rationality as these Idiots panic buy us into fuel price hikes.

Cheers for hosting Jim, just back from an extra extended weekend away so will try and get something in for the season over next couple of days

Sooner than expected. Bob Rivers parody of Walking In a Winter Wonderland..........

This one is an adaptation I have made of Pete Seeger's "Turn, Turn, Turn!"
Been busy this week so I haven't had chance to listen to much - will start to remedy that now.
Be interesting to see if anyone else has chosen this one to morph.

Hope you enjoy:

"Life Is Life" (1984) by Austrian band Opus was a life-affirming song and a number-one hit in Europe and in Canada. Estonian band Kuldne Trio made a parody version, inspired by the fact that the word "laip" ('corpse' in Estonian) sounds a lot like "life". So, here is "Corpse Is Corpse":

The song ‘Paloma Blanca’ (also known as ‘Una Paloma Blanca’) was an international hit back in the 70s for the George Baker Selection, and has since been successfully covered by various artists. It was parodied by those scrumpy and western boys, the Wurzels, in 1976 - ‘I Am A Cider Drinker’ reached number 3 in the UK charts that year. My poor ‘yokel’ accent is once called into action here! 😆

create a feul shortage real or imaginary
exerting pressure to go all electric
save the planet and stop climate change Simples!?
Planning for a cleaner brighter Britain. Then we pull the plug on the grid and we've got them under control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom