1/4" scale length difference v string tension

CalBrit

Reaction score
From Shepperton UK. Mission Viejo, CA since 2000
Hi all. I have a Cordoba 20SM Soprano and a Ohana SK38. They are both strung with Living Waters strings and have similar string heights at the 12th fret. For some time I have been wondering why the Cordoba feels a little easier to play barre chords and play vibrato notes. I wrongly assumed Soprano scale lengths were all going to be the same across makers. I measured them both from the nut to saddle and found the Cordoba to be 1/4" shorter. I understand from playing my tenor that there is quite a difference in scale and string tension but I wouldn't have thought this small a difference would make much difference but it seems it does. Has anyone with sopranos with different scale lengths noticed a difference?

I doubt that it’s the difference in scale length * and suggest that the cause is set up at the nut and fret height. My experience is that tall frets give easier barre chords and so does lower string height above the first fret.
* Merlin’s point above noted. Nut to saddle = scale length plus a couple of mm for compensation.

Last edited:
I doubt that it’s the difference in scale length * and suggest that the cause is set up at the nut and fret height. My experience is that tall frets give easier barre chords and so does lower string height above the first fret.
* Merlin’s point above noted. Nut to saddle = scale length plus a couple of mm for compensation.

Exactly what he said, even the shape and depth of the neck effects mechanical leverage. I have a number of tenors with the same strings and low actions but one plays easier then the others.

Top Bottom