Nut Width On The Ohana SK-30M

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Ohana SK-30M longneck soprano. Does anyone know if (in addition to the extra fretboard length afforded by the concert scale) the nut width on this uke is a little bit more generous than the nut width on a typical Ohana soprano? Thanks!

The nut is 34 mm and the spacing from G to A is about 28mm. I have one and I love it!

The nut is 34 mm and the spacing from G to A is about 28mm. I have one and I love it!
Thanks, Mikelz! Now, if I could just follow that up a little further... would you say that the nut width you mentioned (34 mm) is somewhat wider than a typical soprano nut?

Thanks, Mikelz! Now, if I could just follow that up a little further... would you say that the nut width you mentioned (34 mm) is somewhat wider than a typical soprano nut?
Sorry but I'm not able to help you with that one. I don't own a soprano, the only ones I've ever played have been in the music store to see what they were like. I liked the soprano sound but my fingers were a bit too smushed to play one comfortably. That made the Ohana SK-30M a perfect solution to that problem.

They're mass produced. The nut width is not specified so don't be surprised if different batches have different neck widths.

I doubt they vary that much, using stock materials, and it's a concert neck stuck on a soprano body so...Mims spec says 1-3/8", so closer to 35mm according to her. she has ohana sopranos at 1-5/16" so very slightly narrower. Btw that matches my experience with my ohana concerts and the one ohana soprano I tried. You might ask mim about it as well.

**Caveat**
I was measuring with a wooden ruler and mm's are a pretty small unit of measure. I could be slightly off but probably not by more than a mm.

Stephanie from Ohana (a very nice person) advises that the nut on the SK-30M (being a concert scale on soprano body) is 1 mm wider than their usual soprano nut. This isn't huge, obviously, but I'll just throw it out there anyhow!

It's a smaller nut but the string spacing is actually generous.

My Koaloha KTM has a 38mm nut, but string spacing is 28mm. So as far as string spacing is concerned there's the same amount of room, my KTM would just have a little more on the edges (it is an edge bound fretbaord).

Top Bottom