SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

Here’s another as I found some time to play some songs. This one is by Tracy Chapman it is usually an a cappella song.

One of my own this time. I wrote this for Montana week. Learned about a brothel and story and wrote a song about it.
I played along with my own video.

So I decided this week to start my own weekly upload/challenge to get myself to learn a new song each week. My reason for playing is just for myself. Life's got ups and lots of downs and sometimes it's hard to find the words.

I chose to learn this song this week (which I did today 🤣) because I just think it's so beautiful and fragile.

As stated on the Youtubes for today by your host-
BEV- Glad ya made it! And with another original...boy has this week had a ton of them! Excellent stuff here as always and one that applies to any of the myriad of terrible things we get to watch unfold lately...perfect. Thank you so much for playing it for us!

Black_Ukulele- I have no idea how it took until the last day for this song to get here. Maybe I am stuck in the 80’s, but I thought this would be day one. In any event- excellent job on it and thank you so much for getting it here. First song I thought of.
Part two- another great selection here and we get a twofer! Well delivered and really the perfect song of resiliency for the week- I will admit, I did not think of this one. Thank you so much for playing for us today.

Redpaul- Back for more! Yay!!!! Love it- I have always loved the lyrics in this tune...not quite happy but getting there- perfect delivery here and dripping with what you bring to the table- and, I do know the original on this one instantly! COuldn’t quite make out what you said at the end- where are my headphones?
And a twofer! Part Two- and the perfect addition to this set, here is the fight song which appeals perfectly to my older than dirt but still kicking punk rock sensibilities. Boy does that little uke have some bark too- Anyway, thanks for dropping some song on us my friend.

BobjKing- New one two me, but it is on every survivor's playlist out there...comes on pretty strong, but that is never a bad thing. Perfect delivery (I am assuming the original has very little on this) so well played and sung- thank you for this introduction.

UkuleleDaddy- Ah! We got the dog and the harmonica!! Sing it Pepsi! This is new song to me, what a great set of lyrics! Perfect add for the week- happily throwing another dollar into the can. Thanks for the introduction here.

Bonesigh- Welcome back, and HI BIRDS!!! (Ok- that is out of my system). Yes- this is absolutely one of the saddest songs ever written. Another one that had to be here, but I didn’t have the guts to try it. You and the birds did a great job on it- thanks for playing it for us.

Another excellent day in support of victims of domestic violence. So far we have 61 songs, but they are not even eating dinner in Hawaii! Hoping when I return tomorrow after work we will have a few more. Thanks again folks- Bless up- Dave

HOLD THE PRESSES! There are more already!!!!! Yep- captain stupid didn't hit refresh.
I'll be back in a bit.

OK- I didn't blow it too bad. We now have 64 videos and about 7 hours left.
More as told on the Youtubes1-

Bonesigh- WHAT IS THAT INSTRUMENT??? It has had a quieting effect on the Budgies (or are the cockatiels?) and is kind of making my head explode. Sounds super cool on another selection that had to make it here for the week. Thanks for bringing us another
But wait- there’s more! Are you playing with the Montana video? I remember this I think but it sounds perfect here, very nicely done! Thanks for bringing us back here.

Muybien04- Haha! I love videos where the kids decide to “help”. Beautifully played tune, very well played, and nearly super-human handling of the distraction. I would have started cracking up. Thanks for coming by!

OK- think I am going to play a song. See y'all tomorrow

Hi, Dave! I've got a couple of videos to get in under the wire. This song is by a duo called The Wind + The Wave. The chorus is great advice on not hanging on to all the little crap and letting it bother you. Advice that I don't always follow.

It's okay if events bring you down and you feel sad for a time. But eventually it is time to let go of the sorrow and allow yourself to move on. This is an original that I previously played in Season 245. The lyrics are on the YouTube page.

Hey Jim! Glad you made it! I am gonna drop this 1 taker and go fix some food- might see you in a bit

Hey, Dave...

I apologize - I had two songs planned, but Nancy's yarn shop had a booth at the New York State Sheep & Wool Festival (aka Rhinebeck), and this week was spent preparing for it. Took 1/2 day off from School on Thursday to rent the U-haul, pack the booth contents, drive downstate, then setup on Friday, spend Saturday and Sunday vending, then tear it down, pack it up, and drive back up tonight. We took the soft goods out of the van tonight at the shop, and will be unloading the displays and other hardware tomorrow morning. Then I collapse, and back to school on Tuesday.

If I get the vids done, I'll just add then to the end of the season, after you've ended.

So take care, and Hugs to Mel!

-Kurt

Reactions: TCK
Late, but not too late to add a song. So diverse people are, so diverse are the songs they can be comforted with.
Over the week I tried to adapt different songs, and finally decided for this one.

Last edited:
well it didn't take me long at all to do the positive one! Such a classic song...you're welcome :)

An under-appreciated song; I remember when it first came out, was over-played and derided by some, but - sadly - the lyrics are still germane.

I just heard a version on SiriusXM, with a hip-hop background, slight lyric change (ommited "I'm still an embryo with a long, long way to go", replaced with "I've still got far to go, it's a long, long way to go")

Your voice is amazing. Thank you!

-Kurt

Michelle Shocked
Hi Liz Do you understand "statutory damages for willful infringment [stet] of copyright" when you lied and claimed that you own the rights to the work you upload to YouTube? In December 2021 a new copyright tribunal will allow me to sue you for copyright infringement and YouTube will not protect you from liability. While YouTube serves advertising on your video of my song, and rakes in billions from users like you, you will have sole legal responsibility (for up to $30,000 in copyright infringement) for claiming to own the rights to my song.
Holy smoke! What a slap in the face for bringing a cover of music you felt moved and inspired to choose as a great fit for the season :(

That's pretty crazy, considering especially I had no idea who that artist was. I always though of it as free advertising for the musicians, like a way to find new artists from people. Overnight things i never heard of.

Makes me consider a different platform too. I have 3 subscribers, obviously not a monetary account but damn don't need people crapping on something that's supposed to be a a passion.

Alas- the season comes to an end and we are on to the next. My apologies for being late today, my now world famous power provider decided that we did not need electricity for a bit. Now all is restored and I have been off to YouTube to say these things:

Uke4ia- So glad you made it Jim! Love this song, what an amazing set of words you have brought to the table. Wonderful delivery on this, fit like a well loved pair of shoes. Thanks for the introduction here. Certainly sound advice.
And we get a two-fer!!! And another fabulous original (man this has a week for them). This has a great message and you really give it all ya got- perfect. Thanks for bringing these along for this week. Wow...remember Season 245? We were all so much younger then….;)

TCK- dude, you’re a hack. Just stop.

Elmann- So glad you made it here! Well, your description says Cat Stevens, but this is the Beatles my friend, and truly, I think at least, their best. Your gentle handling of it makes it that much better, but I have always enjoyed what you bring to a song, even if it is one we have expectations of. This stands out- Just wonderful. Thanks for playing it for us. And as Pa said- joining in!

Uke an’ Flute- I like rules a lot less than I like music- this is in! What a wonderful old song made that much better by the fun you are clearly having playing it. Excellent work here, thank you so much for playing it for us. Brought a big smile with this one.

And that my friends is the last of Season 504. All in all you fine people played 70 songs for victims of domestic violence, and that warms my heart. I often have the opportunity to talk to some of the residents at one of our safe houses (the only one in my county I believe) and I have met some truly wonderful and courageous people...Thank you all for jumping in with both feet, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You continue to be some of the coolest people I know.
Until next time- Bless up. Dave

^ Thank you so much for hosting! Are you passing the playlist along? I hope they enjoy it. I had a blast contributing and I hope they feel the love from across the interwebs.

^ Thank you so much for hosting! Are you passing the playlist along? I hope they enjoy it. I had a blast contributing and I hope they feel the love from across the interwebs.
Yes- I will be sharing the playlist. The director is a school parent and is very excited about this project. I did not share an “in progress” link because I did not want her to feel obligated to check in all the time (she is really busy), but she is going to love what we have created. Thank you for contributing and as you said, spreading that love from all corners of the internet.

Can I post one more? I made this early, but could not post it. I had the crap beat outta me by the ones meant to protect me until I was big enough and ugly enough to stop
it. 49 years old and the 9 year old me takes over sometimes. As does the kid in Juvenile Hall. These things did not need to happen.
I guess I can post it now.
Much love brothers and sisters for coming out for this one. This season meant the world to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom