Low G Best strings for low-g

Ukemaxx

Reaction score
hello, I would like to know which strings to put on my uke low-g customs that I am having made? That will be my 1st tenor in low-g ( top engelmann spruce and indian rosewood back and side )
Thx

but it still has to have a better set of strings, which stands out from the rest?

but it still has to have a better set of strings, which stands out from the rest?
What do you mean with that? Most people think they use the strings that they feel are the best. This is a very subjective topic and in the end it really depends on what you feel is best for you. But you can ask more specific questions that may be relevant and have objective answers like what are the thinnest or thickest or softest or stiffest strings, or which may wear out faster than others.

I live in quebec , canada , here we have nothing in term of uke , i have to buy it from hms , i dont will buy all string they have :-/

I live in quebec , canada , here we have nothing in term of uke , i have to buy it from hms , i dont will buy all string they have :-/
There is a store in Ottawa that has a great selection of strings, including their own custom sets. It is called Bytown Instruments and the owner is Mark. Give him a call and he will get you the best.

What do you mean with that? Most people think they use the strings that they feel are the best. This is a very subjective topic and in the end it really depends on what you feel is best for you. But you can ask more specific questions that may be relevant and have objective answers like what are the thinnest or thickest or softest or stiffest strings, or which may wear out faster than others.

Uke Logic.
Pepe Romero
Living Waters
Oasis

ALL GREAT STRINGS FOR LOW-G !!!
RON
Thx ron 🤙

As some others have noted, the best really depends on the specific uke and your tastes. I think it's worth trying at least one wound string and one unwound string, as that can make much more of a difference than, say, the specific brand of nylon or fluorocarbon you choose.

Generally, a wound string will be more resonant. They usually work well on the tenor scale, but some people find them to be too boomy or don't like the texture. So try an unwound string too!

I like HMS's own Uke Logic strings, which can be purchase with additional fluorocarbon low G as well as wound low G strings. For a spruce + rosewood tenor, you might also give the Thomastik CF-30 flat wound low G string a try.

In addition to HMS, https://www.stringsbymail.com/ is also a good choice and has a pretty wide selection.

As others have mentioned what their "best" are it should be mentioned that "the" best are of course Aquila Red. They go particulary well with any kind of Nylgut, Nyltech, Polygut, or Lava style strings which are the most advanced strings available nowadays.

As others have mentioned what their "best" are it should be mentioned that "the" best are of course Aquila Red. They go particulary well with any kind of Nylgut, Nyltech, Polygut, or Lava style strings which are the most advanced strings available nowadays.
I was actually going to mention the Aquila Red wound low G, but thought better of it for someone who seems like an infrequent string buyer, since they are prone to wear and tear...

I was actually going to mention the Aquila Red wound low G, but thought better of it for someone who seems like an infrequent string buyer, since they are prone to wear and tear...
I think think they changed the formula a few times over the years. The one I use for low G came with a Super Nylgut set and it has been going strong for more than six years and several hundred hours of vigorous playing time. It actually has outlasted the A string of that set which I wore out last year.

You should use the Uke Logic Pink Sandia Low G set. I like the soft tensions, but they have high too.

As others have mentioned, how you play and the uke you will be using the Low-G on will influence what will be "best" for you.

For strumming, most wound Low-G strings seem too boomy on my tenors. They overpower the other strings. But for fingerstyle, they sound very nice.

If you are a player that doesn't change your stings very often, you might want to look at plain fluorocarbons. They seem to be more durable. Some wound Gs seem to wear very quickly.

Plain Low-G strings are often thicker in diameter than their wound counterparts. So you may have to modify your nut slot to accommodate the larger size.

Eyedoc recommended the Pepe Romero (La Bella) set to me and I am impressed with them. I also like Living Waters Low-G sets.

You can buy single Low-G strings. The Fremont Soloist Wound is very popular.

Check UkeRepublic.com; Stringsbymail.com; Stringsandbeyond.com for options.

Trying different strings can be a lot of fun. Give them a couple of weeks, or more, to settle down before you decide if they sound good to you or not.

I have a set with wound low G coming from uke logic. Have used their flurocarbon low G plenty, but never their wound. Or any wound, on a Uke. Will report back.

I have two types of low G strings on my Ukes. And, I have a lot of them. I have whatever string the seller put on there when I ordered the Uke to come with a low G. So, there's quite an assortment there. And, I have Aquila Red Unwound low G strings that I ordered and put on myself for low G conversions. So far, I like my Aquila Red Unwound the best. I like the feel and sound of it. I have it on Tenors, Concerts, and Sopranos. It works well on all of them. Early on I think there was some grousing about the Red Unwounds breaking on installation. I never had that happen. In fact, I've never had one of them break, period. All the ones I installed are still on their respective Ukes, and working great.

Top Bottom