New baritone strings from Oasis

Pgdiv

Reaction score
I wanted to let other ukulele players know what is happening in the string world especially with baritone ukuleles. I had a set of Southcoast baritone ukulele strings and had been saving the last set when it occurred to me that Dave Hepple of Oasis Humidifiers and strings might be in a position to duplicate the strings. I sent the set to Dave and we worked together over a period of several months to produce and then play the strings. I had our local ukulele group blind listen to several options and combinations versus other strings and all agreed these strings produced the volume and tone with clarity and warmth the SouthCoast strings produced. Success! See Dave’s note below.

"Southcoast" Linear Baritone strings
As most ukulele fans know, Dirk Wormhoudt of Southcoast Strings passed a number of years ago and the company is no longer in business. Southcoast had a dedicated following. With the help of Philip Davidson https://davidsonukuleles.com/ fan of Southcoast strings, we have created the “Southcoast” Linear Baritone double set. The set is composed of the same materials and sizes used in the original Southcoast set (1st .024”) (2nd .030) (fluorocarbon). The 3rd (.027”) and 4th (.033”) strings are made from smooth wound brass with a nylon core.
Philip Davidson

This is good news. I've been wanting to get a set of fluorocarbons with wound 3rd and 4th for my baritone. I'll definitely try these out. When will they be available!

That is a great question I cannot answer but I’ll pose this to Dave Hepple. What are the size of the LaBella wound strings?

This was the response I got from Dave.
Hi Philip,

Most of the brass ukulele strings are made by Fremont. Most likely the linear baritone strings used the Freemont strings. Our supplier does no business with Labella and understands that the Fremont strings are used by most ukulele string makes that use brass wound strings. Therefore, our strings are different than most. Since you have played the original linear baritone and you have played ours, you have a good idea of the differences or the lack of difference.

Dave

Strings are typically made by several manufactures. I do believe there are some great Japanese companies making the fluorocarbon so it is interesting discussion about the wound strings and who makes what. I have enjoyed Oasis strings over others. I have recieved no benefit from helping Oasis duplicate the Southcoast strings other than some sets to try. I would be interested in others thoughts.

Interesting. I think it was discussed in other threads that Fremont, Pepe Romero, Uke Logic, and possibly others use the LaBella polished brass strings as they don't have string winding factories. But maybe some of them do...

On the subject of Baritone strings, I'd like to give a plug for Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. His linear GCEA baritone strings are all fluorocarbon and sound great. Lovely baritone sound without the need to learn new chord shapes.
Miguel

I wanted to let other ukulele players know what is happening in the string world especially with baritone ukuleles. I had a set of Southcoast baritone ukulele strings and had been saving the last set when it occurred to me that Dave Hepple of Oasis Humidifiers and strings might be in a position to duplicate the strings. I sent the set to Dave and we worked together over a period of several months to produce and then play the strings. I had our local ukulele group blind listen to several options and combinations versus other strings and all agreed these strings produced the volume and tone with clarity and warmth the SouthCoast strings produced. Success! See Dave’s note below.

"Southcoast" Linear Baritone strings
As most ukulele fans know, Dirk Wormhoudt of Southcoast Strings passed a number of years ago and the company is no longer in business. Southcoast had a dedicated following. With the help of Philip Davidson https://davidsonukuleles.com/ fan of Southcoast strings, we have created the “Southcoast” Linear Baritone double set. The set is composed of the same materials and sizes used in the original Southcoast set (1st .024”) (2nd .030) (fluorocarbon). The 3rd (.027”) and 4th (.033”) strings are made from smooth wound brass with a nylon core.
Philip Davidson
Great job. Now how about a 'Southcoast' low-G tenor set with wound 3'd and 4'th strings? To emulate I currently use Oasis 1'st and 2'd fluorocarbons and Thomastik Infeld CF-27 and CF-30 wound strings for 3'd and 4'th.

Thank you so much for bringing attention to this product, I would not have known about them other wise. I have ordered two sets directly from Oasis. As “Jupiterukes” stated PLEASE get Oasis to produce the Southcoast low G with wound G and C strings. My favorite for tenors by a wide margin

Top Bottom