New Bamboo, - Wahoo!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just returned from a little four day jaunt on my Triumph Bonneville. I didn't go too far, just up to Waco and back. But I spent yesterday in cute little Georgetown. I'd never been there before, and enjoyed the experience of strolling around the historic downtown area. And, lo and behold, I discovered Ken'z Guitar shop right there among the other shops on Main Street. I went in and met Ken who appeared to be having a great time helping customers. I immediately noticed a number of Ukuleles on display, including a 'tree' of Alvarez Ukes. While Ken was schmoozing the clientele, I walked around the tree, testing each instrument for tone and resonance. I found one that stood out from the rest. It's an Alvarez Concert model MU55C. The more I played it, the more I liked it. It's top, back, and sides are Bamboo, with a Mahogany neck, closed tuners, and bone nut and saddle. It's very pretty in an odd sort of way. And, it sounds lovely. It has a very clear, resonant tone, with lots of sustain, and good volume. As I was playing it I realized that I don't have any Bamboo in my collection, and really, really needed to own this one. In fact, it was an imperative! ;) And so I got it, along with a nice Gator gig bag to bring it home in. I immediately put a classical guitar 4th string on it for a Low G. I had fun playing it last night at a great little coffee place there in Georgetown. So, now I guess I'm a Bona Fide member of the Bamboo set. :p

Serendipity can be a wonderful thing. Congrats on your bamboo discovery.

Any pictures. I’ve always wanted a bamboo ukulele. I’ve just never had an opportunity to play one. I was thinking of getting an Aklot but heard they are stopping making them due to delmination issues. Alvarez is a great name in guitar world for value, so glad to hear you like the one you have. Congratulations

So, now I guess I'm a Bona Fide member of the Bamboo set. :p
Yes, you certainly are! I hope you get that house finished soon cause your current lodgings must be overflowing! haha

Any pictures. I’ve always wanted a bamboo ukulele. I’ve just never had an opportunity to play one. I was thinking of getting an Aklot but heard they are stopping making them due to delmination issues. Alvarez is a great name in guitar world for value, so glad to hear you like the one you have. Congratulations.
I don't have a picture of it, but here it is on the Alvarez site: https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/mu55c/ Mine looks just like that.
I have the Aklot tenor cutaway, it doesn't have any delmination issues (flaws).

Here is the Alvarez:
MU55C-Front-3_4.jpg

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Any pictures. I’ve always wanted a bamboo ukulele. I’ve just never had an opportunity to play one. I was thinking of getting an Aklot but heard they are stopping making them due to delmination issues. Alvarez is a great name in guitar world for value, so glad to hear you like the one you have. Congratulations
Mike above has the tenor. Its the concerts that fall apart including the one u bought. Cracked soundboard and even looking past the bad strings that come from low end ukes it sounds clear as mud. I'd love to have a decent bamboo just cuz. I don't play much besides my cedar concert

Thanks Mike. In this apartment I only have my PC laptop, and an iPad. My iMac computer went to storage while the house is being built. I can't quickly and easily do many things on the PC that I used to whip through with no trouble at all on the Mac. Moving pictures around is one of those things. I can't wait to get back on my iMac. The new house should be ready for us in about six more weeks.

Incidentally, the Alvarez name and logo on the headstock and sound hole rosette look really nice. My eyes say "inlay," but my head says it must be very well done appliqué. I mean, for the price one wouldn't expect inlayed trim. Under the heavy gloss finish it's very difficult to tell.

I once planted bamboo trees at the back of my house. Not this same species that you can make ukes with. They grow really fast. Sometimes the new shoots grow about 1 foot a day. You can literally see the difference between morning and night. The more I watered them the faster they seem to grow. And when u stop watering they shed their leaves like it’s autumn. If you don’t water for a few days the ground would literally be covered with dried leaves. They are supposed to be some sort of grass and some say that it’s the most sustainable source of ‘wood’. People build houses from them in certain parts of the world. Looks like you got a ‘green’ uke!

They grow really fast. Sometimes the new shoots grow about 1 foot a day. You can literally see the difference between morning and night. .... Looks like you got a ‘green’ uke!
Yup, I bought it as a Soprano. Got it home yesterday. Today it's a Concert. Looking forward to having a Tenor or maybe even a Baritone after a few more days! :p

Well, the name seems seasonal. 👻
LOL! I should play a little ukulele concert somewhere suitably spooky for Halloween. Maybe an old ringfort after dark...

Top Bottom