Season 505 - S-P-E-L-L-I-T-O-U-T

Thanks for the creative theme, Brian. I've recently left practically all the social media platforms I belonged to, and, subsequently, have had a burst of creative energy. Here is an original I wrote a couple of days ago based on hilarious conversations I have had with the one and only DelGriff about the differences between American English and English English. I hope you enjoy it. It was good for me. I'll attach the lyrics. I promise I know how to spell armor... armour... armor... :- D I'm not sure why that tripped me up.

No U
Liz Brinker

One day when my life had lost its color… C-O-L-O-R
You came along and splashed around your colour… C-O-L-O-U-R
It could be that I’d lost my sense of humor… H-U-M-O-R
Thankfully, you brought your sense of humour… H-U-M-O-U-R

Baby, now you’ve gone… How can I go on
With no U, no U, no U?

Maybe I was looking for a savior… S-A-V-I-O-R
I really can’t explain my own behavior… B-E-H-A-V-I-O-R
Were you simply being a good neighbour? N-E-I-G-H-B-O-U-R
Was I just a charitable labour? L-A-B-O-U-R

Since you set me free… What’s to become of me
With no U, no U, no U?

Break

In the end, you’ve done me a big favour… F-A-V-O-U-R
You’ve given me sweet memories I can savour… S-A-V-O-U-R
Around my heart I’ll need to place some armor… A-R-M-O-R
To help me with these feelings that I harbor… H-A-R-B-O-R

My Englishman, I say… My ardor’s spelled this way
With no U, no U, no U

With no U, no U, no U

Thanks for the creative theme, Brian. I've recently left practically all the social media platforms I belonged to, and, subsequently, have had a burst of creative energy. Here is an original I wrote a couple of days ago based on hilarious conversations I have had with the one and only DelGriff about the differences between American English and English English. I hope you enjoy it. It was good for me. I'll attach the lyrics. I promise I know how to spell armor... armour... armor... :- D I'm not sure why that tripped me up.

No U
Liz Brinker

One day when my life had lost its color… C-O-L-O-R
You came along and splashed around your colour… C-O-L-O-U-R
It could be that I’d lost my sense of humor… H-U-M-O-R
Thankfully, you brought your sense of humour… H-U-M-O-U-R

Baby, now you’ve gone… How can I go on
With no U, no U, no U?

Maybe I was looking for a savior… S-A-V-I-O-R
I really can’t explain my own behavior… B-E-H-A-V-I-O-R
Were you simply being a good neighbour? N-E-I-G-H-B-O-U-R
Was I just a charitable labour? L-A-B-O-U-R

Since you set me free… What’s to become of me
With no U, no U, no U?

Break

In the end, you’ve done me a big favour… F-A-V-O-U-R
You’ve given me sweet memories I can savour… S-A-V-O-U-R
Around my heart I’ll need to place some armor… A-R-M-O-R
To help me with these feelings that I harbor… H-A-R-B-O-R

With no U, no U, no U

With no U, no U, no U

HAHA! Loving this even before I actually heard the song!

I had a go.

This is by the incomparable Fascinating Aida.

At the time this was written, Tesco were taking 33p out of every £1 spent on food in the UK. They are not quite as big as they were then, but still.

I will try and do a better version multitrack with the spoken verses this week.

The first time I ever learned about this spelling out of lyrics was at a Christian Revivalist Meeting in Liverpool. My Mum was a bit of a seeker and gave it a try for one night before deciding it was not for us. At the time, I was five; I barely knew the alphabet back then, but I remember to this day the song they taught us kids: "I am H.A.P.P.Y" - so as soon as the theme was announced I knew which song I was going to adapt for this week. And here it is...

Hello, Brian ... and thank you for the week! This is a song from the musical, "Starlight Express," which I actually saw in London many moons ago - it was a tenth birthday treat for younger son, who was very into Andrew Lloyd Webber at that age. If you haven't seen it, the staging is quite spectacular. The song is actually a pastiche of "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." and has more spelling in it than anyone could possibly want!

I need help with these foreign language songs...

SOTU 505 - "Vaccination Hesitation Blues" (adapted from the traditional "Hesitation Blues") - Kevin, Eric, Xing Xing and I threw this one together. It's an ode to that great existential question "Should I get the S H O T or should I sit on my hands?" I screwed up a couple of lines, but hopefully Xing Xing saved the day. BTW, she urges everyone to get vaccinated. 🐈‍⬛

I thought I was done for this week, but after posting my other song I had the experience that led to me writing this one.
We all like to think we've left our prejudices behind, but sometimes a tiny incident can remind you that the brainwashing process that started when you were still in nappies has had a profound effect on you.

I hope you enjoy:

Hey, Brian! Cheers for hosting!

Here's a Magnetic Fields song for the season. Edith joins me on this with some hollerin' in a cheerleadery style and some stylish head dancing which apparently doesn't hamper her ability to spot biscuits from the other side of the room...

'A' You're Adorable Sid Lippman/ Buddy Kaye/ Fred Wise 1948.

My friend Rod Simpson, who is a kindergarten teacher and the founder of the Cobourg Ukulele Club (C'ukes) taught this song to the group and seems to just love it, so it gets played at every meeting. It may be one of the "corny" ones that Pa was talking about, but I like it.

Not much spelling here, Brian, but at least it’s repetitive!

I haven’t time to learn and record a spelling song this week but thought I would let you know there was one recorded by Cliff Edwards aka Ukulele Ike.

Hi all.
I was supposed to review a mountain of assignments today but felt poorly; so I tried out a classic Beastie Boys song to brighten my day.
There is spelling in there "...M to the C the A..."

Here's one I found...

Another version of L-O-V-E (1965) by Bert Kaempfert and Milt Gabler. In Estonian language, the title "love" became "song" (L-A-U-L), to keep the 4 letters.

Top Bottom