Who owns a taropatch (8 string concert)

trevorg888

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just wanting to start a chat with taropatch owners love to hear about your taropatch if it is a vintage or new and what tunings you are using etc. here is a vid of one i used to own it is a tony graziano made from cuban mahogany it was a beautiful taropatch i really regret selling it

Last edited:
It looks and sounds good. It also looks large for a concert sized uke. You might want to look into an early Kamaka 8 string tenor. The early ones are pretty small (by todays standards)

Have you looked at http://www.taropatch.net/ ??

I will admit some ignorance here. I first encountered the term 'taropatch' in the David Heaukulani book UKULELE SLACK KEY as the basic drop-G slack tuning. Then I read in the Wikipedia 'uke entry that 6- and 8-string 'ukes are taropatches. Then I read of a Martin instrument sold as the Taropatch. So are my 6-string Kala and 8-string Oscar Schmidt tenors taropatches? Is my Harmonia concert a taropatch when tuned gCEG? If I tune my cuatro-menor (mandolin-size body, concert-uke-scale neck, 4 triple courses) to ggg-CCC-EEE-GGG, does that count? Just what is the accepted meaning of Taropatch?

I have a Kiwaya taropatch- all mahogany concert size 12 fret. It appears to be an exact same build as my Kiwaya KTC-1 except a larger headstock, wider neck and peghead tuners. Typical Kiwaya as far as lightness, finish, set-up. I tune it to the typical tuning aa ee cc gg (double course). One reason I got the taropatch was because of your video and I love Kiwayas. I really like it!

I think the original martins were called taropatches that is where I got the name from I have always tuned my taropatches Gg Cc ee aa

My understanding is that all taropatches are concert size and 8 string but I could be wrong. this video attached is the reason I initially bought a taropatch i just love this song and the martin taropatch and ukulelezaza is an amazing player this taropatch is tuned to F Bflat D G all courses in unision

Last edited:
I think the original martins were called taropatches that is where I got the name from I have always tuned my taropatches Gg Cc ee aa

My understanding is that all taropatches are concert size and 8 string but I could be wrong. this video attached is the reason I initially bought a taropatch i just love this song and the martin taropatch and ukulelezaza is an amazing player this taropatch is tuned to F Bflat D G all courses in unision

Based on a lot of research, I agree that "Taropatches" are concert sized 8 strings. That name seems to have been applied incorrectly on later 8 string tenor ukes. I have not seen 6 strings referred to as a taropatch. I've been wanting one for some time and I will likely get one of the new (if they ever release them) Ohana taropatch 8 string concert CM-35-8. I recently scored a Mele mahogany concert size 6 string which is my "surrogate" taropatch. The Ohana will likely have Aquila strings on it and if I don't care for them, I'll likely try a Southcoast light 8 string set as they are awesome on my 6 strings.

Hi phil are the southcoast 8 string sets all flourocarbon or do they have wound strings too I have been looking for an all flouro 8 string set

My tenor 6 string has Southcoast's with wound strings, my 6 string concert has no wound strings. Lots of other sets out there, but I personally wouldn't try them unless the Southcoast's don't work out for you. With most other sets, you get a standard set. With Southcoast strings, you get "CHOICES"...light, medium, heavy, wound, unwound, etc. You can also get a "custom" set. They usually work out best for most according to the feedback I've read.

.....I've been wanting one for some time and I will likely get one of the new (if they ever release them) Ohana taropatch 8 string concert CM-35-8.....
Phil,
What has led you to believe that Ohana is working on these?
Any idea as to when Ohana will produce these and how they will be priced? I'm a fan of Ohana ukes and would be thrilled to see it happen.
Thanks,
Al

Phil,
What has led you to believe that Ohana is working on these?
Any idea as to when Ohana will produce these and how they will be priced? I'm a fan of Ohana ukes and would be thrilled to see it happen.
Thanks,
Al

I have been keeping track ever since I started trying to convince Ohana to make one a few years ago. I've been in touch with Ken Middleton and Mike at Uke Republic about them. They were kind of shooting for Summer NAMM, but they didn't make it. I'm hoping nothing Pearl Harbor's (no pun intended) the plan.

tp1.jpg

1920's Harmony Concert Taropatch
Currently tuned ggcceeaa but I want to try splitting the first 2 courses.

Edit: I later learned that this is an Oscar Schmidt Taropatch.

Last edited:
In 2003 I bought a solid koa tenor from Ajenol Ortiz from Hawai'i. It is currently strung Dd Gg Bb EE. It now resides with a close friend who had a 1923 Martin T-18 that "wasn't him". It is mahogany back and sides with an Adirondack spruce top. It is not strung GCEA, it is Dd GgG BbB EE. It is in its original case. We are both thoroughly satisfied with our trade. Last Thursday evening he brought it to our weekly event. It was nice to play it again and recall the conversations between his daughter- in - law, Micheroo and myself. She wanted to build but was told that was man's work. It was sold as a taropatch by a Hawai'ian builder. I have often wondered if Michele ever got to build since he moved to Alaska to work either logging or working on a fishing boat. My second tiple is the Japanese copy of the T-17 all mahogany Tiple. It is even clearer and more distinct from the real thing,the Martin T18. x

Yep i have a few of my ukes strung with southcoast strings. Dirk makes some great string i really like his light strings

Uke4ia, Jim has a taro and played it at the Seasonista picnic this weekend and it sounded particularly good with one of the songs but I'll be danged if I can remember which one!

That was actually a tiple, not a taropatch. More strings!

- FiL

Just wanting to start a chat with taropatch owners love to hear about your taropatch if it is a vintage or new and what tunings you are using etc. here is a vid of one i used to own it is a tony graziano made from cuban mahogany it was a beautiful taropatch i really regret selling it

I have a SS STEWART TAROPATCH. I’m sure you must have seen my posts looking for info. It would be nice to see a similar taropatch. Who made it, what year etc. I’ve got ranges of 1916 - 1940. Been told Martin definitely didn’t make it, although Martin made taropatch ukuleles for rebranding around 1916 - 1930. They adopted 3 dots on fretboard with on dot at 10th fret at the request of a customer. But all said, I just want to see one like mine to give it an identity. It’ll help me decide whether to go ahead with some work the needs to be done or sell as is.

Attachments

• F6DAFD70-3B9B-4C36-B620-FAC1BF8A8502.jpeg
    F6DAFD70-3B9B-4C36-B620-FAC1BF8A8502.jpeg
    964.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1CF511E5-4B44-4D1F-A55F-53443D490EF5.jpeg
    1CF511E5-4B44-4D1F-A55F-53443D490EF5.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A97F8BB3-F038-4905-BDBC-A67482C2469E.jpeg
    A97F8BB3-F038-4905-BDBC-A67482C2469E.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 5
I have a SS STEWART TAROPATCH. I’m sure you must have seen my posts looking for info. It would be nice to see a similar taropatch. Who made it, what year etc. I’ve got ranges of 1916 - 1940. Been told Martin definitely didn’t make it, although Martin made taropatch ukuleles for rebranding around 1916 - 1930. They adopted 3 dots on fretboard with on dot at 10th fret at the request of a customer. But all said, I just want to see one like mine to give it an identity. It’ll help me decide whether to go ahead with some work the needs to be done or sell as is.
The Stewart taropatch also has a tapered headstock

Top Bottom