Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

Many people fear loneliness. Here's a song about that.

EDIT - sorry, not used to this video software. I accidentally cut the end bit off the recording. Will try again. :confused:

Last edited:
Hello again, Liz! I am really scared of roller coasters - nothing would persuade me to ride on one. I was interested to find that there is actually a name for this, which is, unsurprisingly, "Coasterphobia." The description of said phobia likens it to a fear of flying, but in my case, it is simply an intense dislike of the sensation of free-falling. There seem to be several roller-coaster-themed songs and this one comes from a Dutch singer/songwriter called Danny Vera ....

To overcome the fear of flying you just have to thrown yourself at the ground and miss🥰

No clowns here (except the performer ;)), sorry. But a song from a musical: "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" (1949) by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II from "South Pacific". This song can be put into "the effect of xenophobia" category. Or perhaps "the fear of how we pass on our own fears to the next generation" category?

Since Brexit living in Finland became more complicated, since Brithish citezens no longer belong to the EU, I have had to apply for a residents permit. I had to fill in an online form, which i felt was deliberatly confusing and difficult to complete, get copies of marriage certificates and birth certificates and tons of other documentation, copy them and upload them to the migration office, and some were rejected because they were in the wrong format. It gave me a headache just wondering what might happen to me if I did not complete the forms properly. In the end I was summoned to an office in Lahti to present all my documentation in person, and was told it would be 6 months before a final decision would be made. The whole experiance was Kafkaesque.

This week I was granted a permanent residents permit which is a relief and so ends the torturous imaginations of the bad things that might happen.

Now I only have to worry about lockdowns and covid passports 🥰🤪😂

No clowns here (except the performer ;)), sorry. But a song from a musical: "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" (1949) by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II from "South Pacific". This song can be put into "the effect of xenophobia" category. Or perhaps "the fear of how we pass on our own fears to the next generation" category?

oh Ylle what a brilliant bring - i've just shed tears listening to the james taylor version - thank you so much for the introduction to this special song - seems we never learn what we should learn only what we should not - sigh

Amphetamine driven Red-neck patriotic anthem, high speed, LO-FI recording, with crackling, pixilated video, bad sound, and bonus Orange hunting cap.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson

Here's another about fear of death and lost love - but hope for reversals in the afterlife?

I was thinking about the power of fear and how most social control is built on it. Today, for example, fear is behind both the pro-vaccine lobby (fear of getting the virus) and the anti-vaccine groupings (fear that there is something more sinister about the shots, or else the cure will be worse than the illness it aims to combat). Then, browsing on the internet I came, by chance, across the story of James Birney, who went from being a slave owner to being an abolitionist. I then read about a few others who came from the same background and ended up fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War. What one of these men said about not being able to live with a clear conscience when his wealth was based on the fear he had to instill into other human beings became the germ of this song.

I was originally planning to have two verses about different moments in history in which fear was used by a few to control the many and the last verse would show how the technique is still in use today. However, my narrator felt he deserved the entire song and in the end the details he "gifted" me convinced me he was right.

So, I hope you enjoy:

Wow!

- Wiggy

Hello, fellow seasonistas, it's only a couple of hours until October 31st, and tomorrow is your last day to tell us all what you fear. It looks like I'll have to do a clown song. Alas. If I must, I must. So, think hard. What scares you? Sing about it for us. We are probably all scared of the exact same things. I'd like to thank today's contributors: Chris D, Ylle, Rob and Kevin. But, wait! What's this??? Lynda/BEVOMU has come in with late-breaking clown fear! Whew!

Here are the fears being served up today:

Loneliness
The passing down of prejudice from generation to generation
Bureaucracy/deportation
Over-zealous patriotism
Death/lost love
CLOWNS!!!

Please go check out the playlist. You are in for a treat. I promise, I'm not tricking you... :- D

I suffer from gephyrophobia, a fear of bridges. It's a form fear of heights, I would imagine, and it has made itself manifest during my motorcycle tours. The big bridge heading eastward out of Hobart would be the last place I had trouble with it. Singing helps me through it, and I well remember this song helping me cross the Ayeyarwaddy River a few years ago.

It's also the first video from the roof of my new townhouse. And Badger's first time going out onto it.

Since Brexit living in Finland became more complicated, since Brithish citezens no longer belong to the EU, I have had to apply for a residents permit. I had to fill in an online form, which i felt was deliberatly confusing and difficult to complete, get copies of marriage certificates and birth certificates and tons of other documentation, copy them and upload them to the migration office, and some were rejected because they were in the wrong format. It gave me a headache just wondering what might happen to me if I did not complete the forms properly. In the end I was summoned to an office in Lahti to present all my documentation in person, and was told it would be 6 months before a final decision would be made. The whole experiance was Kafkaesque.

This week I was granted a permanent residents permit which is a relief and so ends the torturous imaginations of the bad things that might happen.

Now I only have to worry about lockdowns and covid passports 🥰🤪😂

We've just been through the same process here in France, Rob, but, when I actually, FINALLY, got down to doing it, it was quite easy. There was an online form to fill in, which asked for scanned Passports and three documents proving residence, and then we were given appointments online to visit the administrative Police headquarters for the department in Tulle, to present our Passports and have our fingerprints taken (a great disappointment this, as I was hoping for an ink pad and it is actually done electronically now.) All the information was then sent on to Paris, where it was processed and the "Cartes de Sejour" were issued. The "Cartes" arrived in the post at the end of last week. Your situation sounds like a nightmare by comparison ... I'm glad that it is now all sorted!

Many of us in our seventies have a fear that this sliver of memory is getting smaller and smaller.
I sang this song at the first Shelter Valley Folk Festival in 2004 and explained that my sister said that it wasn't just age and that I was forgetting things when I was in high school. The M.C. that night was my friend David Sheffield (the person who took my profile picture) and he said after I went off stage, "That sounded just like Jim, except I KNOW that he doesn't own an organiser."
Here's The Remember Song by Steven Walters.

Thanks to Maggie for her off camera contribution.

Last edited:
Hi Liz! I had great plans for this season, but had to pull one out of the hopper instead. Oh well. At least I worked on some new songs for other times. Plenty of really scary things, kids (if you remember Count Floyd)!

Hello and happy Halloween, Seasonistas! Thank you for sticking with me this week! The fear-fest has several hours to go, as it's only 2:30pm in Hawaii. I'll add one more for today, if you don't mind:

Stuck In The Middle With You
Gerry Rafferty/Joe Egan

Many thanks to Joko, Jim and Rick for today's songs and fears. It's been a steady stream of fears all week and I appreciate the candor shown by one and all. Here's what we are facing today:

Bridges
Memory loss
A multitude of fearsome things: bad moons, hurricanes, storms, trouble, lightnin', bad times, etc
CLOWNS

I am one happy season host, despite the fear.

When I was a kid, Cruella De Vil was nearly too scary for me to handle. Though I didn't think to play this one until after I saw a couple Cruella De Vils out on the town Friday night and at the Phoenix airport early this morning. So, nope, I didn't get to practice this one until I got back to Portland this afternoon. And nope, I don't have a clue why the sound cuts out sometimes. And no-no-nope, my thumb can't take any more barré chords tonight.

Still, I love all the Cruella De Vils everywhere who were out and about this past weekend, scaring little me.

I hope y'all had a fun Halloween!

I was really undecided what I was going to bring this week. In the end I chose to bring an old ballad from around 1620. I found this on UU member Harry Thomas's website https://renaissance-ukukele.blogspot.com/. It is currently his most recent entry: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sWu2FODs9xXkzQv2TBOBJ9dPzMgOpcVb/view
The full ballad is quite long, so I limited myself to the first two verses.
There are many scary references in the lyrics. The one that I find scariest is losing my mind, and maybe become violent and forgetful, so that I need to go to Bedlam (or a current alternative).

When I was a kid, Cruella De Vil was nearly too scary for me to handle. Though I didn't think to play this one until after I saw a couple Cruella De Vils out on the town Friday night and at the Phoenix airport early this morning. So, nope, I didn't get to practice this one until I got back to Portland this afternoon. And nope, I don't have a clue why the sound cuts out sometimes. And no-no-nope, my thumb can't take any more barré chords tonight.

Still, I love all the Cruella De Vils everywhere who were out and about this past weekend, scaring little me.

I hope y'all had a fun Halloween!

Ralf is being cruel and switched off comments for his Cruella video. I love that song, so I am letting him know about it HERE!

Good morning this November 1st, fellow seasonistas! With this post I am blowing out the candle in the proverbial Jack-o-lantern of season 506 of the ukulele. Thanks to all who participated in any way. I will post a wrap very soon, never fear…

Ralf! I can’t add your Cruella to the playlist! Help!

Top Bottom