A440, 21 inches nut to bridge

Knows Picker

Reaction score
I'd like to find a solution to getting A at 440Hz when the distance to 21 inches nut to bridge.

I'd really like to use nylon strings, but I'll listen to any suggestions (steel, fluorocarbon, hopium).

The breaking index chart from Aquila is spot on, 21 inches is just a little bit over the break point.

Of course, the rest of the tuning will be G C and E, with the g being low or re-entrant.

The instrument is a 1921 Orpheum tenor banjo.

If you use a capo, you can tune the instrument lower.

I'd like to find a solution to getting A at 440Hz when the distance to 21 inches nut to bridge.

I'd really like to use nylon strings, but I'll listen to any suggestions (steel, fluorocarbon, hopium).

The breaking index chart from Aquila is spot on, 21 inches is just a little bit over the break point.

Of course, the rest of the tuning will be G C and E, with the g being low or re-entrant.

Hello,
Not the solution to your question, but possibly another option.
I have a short scale (19.5"), open backed tenor banjo fitted with a set Worth Browns (sold as double length Uke strings)
Tuned re-entrant d,G,B,E. A bit of research using online string calculators allowed me to figure out that this would work.
It gives a more mellow sound than the normal steel string.

Vintage

I've got a Vega tenor banjo that is about 19.5 and I use Aquila Minstrel or Classical banjo strings on it.

The Orpheum is just a little bit longer, just enough that the A breaks, so I use a single steel string. Meh. A bit unbalanced in tone. A full set of steel strings on the Orpheum is too "chimey." I think mostly due to the archtop head.

I recently tried a set of Worth on a regular tenor uke and realized I should have ordered two sets, because I cut them in half.

Seemed like something maybe someone had already tried, no?

A regular guitar G string might do the job.
Well yes, thats basically whats on there now. But then the overall tone is kind of unbalanced. Currently the other strings are all Nylguts.

And I can finagle a complete set of unwound strings on there, but the archtop head just makes the whole thing sound like a cross between a sitar and a glockenspiel.

Isn't anybody using uke tuning on a regular size banjo these days?

For me its a natural progression. Uke leads to banjo uke, banjo uke leads to full size banjo, but lets keep the tuning consistent.

Well yes, thats basically whats on there now. But then the overall tone is kind of unbalanced. Currently the other strings are all Nylguts.

And I can finagle a complete set of unwound strings on there, but the archtop head just makes the whole thing sound like a cross between a sitar and a glockenspiel.

For me its a natural progression. Uke leads to banjo uke, banjo uke leads to full size banjo, but lets keep the tuning consistent.
Nylgut for guitar are called "Alabstro" but they have a large selection of guitar strings in various materials and lengths.
Maybe send them an email and tell them what you are looking for, they might just send you a single string as a sample.

I can see what you are trying to achieve, but I'm not sure that it's physically possible in "standard" uke tuning with nylon or flouro-carbon. Baritone uke tuning is easily achievable for this scale length.
Vintage

I can see what you are trying to achieve, but I'm not sure that it's physically possible in "standard" uke tuning with nylon or flouro-carbon. Baritone uke tuning is easily achievable for this scale length.
Vintage
Oh yes, that would be my Weymann Model 75 !!

With a re-entrant D !!!

Strings By Mail sells single nylon and fluorocarbon strings with sizing gaps of 2mm. You may have to experiment a little bit to find the right tension, but i'm guessing something between .58 - .62 mm nylon would work for the A

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it out.

I did try a set of Worth Brown tenors this weekend.

Got it all the way to G# before it gave out.

Top Bottom