Does anyone have a "pick guard"?

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Does anyone use a clear "pick guard" that sticks onto the top? My Martin Iz, is getting a little wear, where my finger hits the top. Something that won't leave sticky residue. I've tried adjusting my strumming pattern, but I still hit it once in a while. 1st pic shows the mark, 2nd pic is after I wiped a little lemon oil on it. Thanks!
😁

strum.jpg
strum2.jpg

Does anyone use a clear "pick guard" that sticks onto the top? My Martin Iz, is getting a little wear, where my finger hits the top. Something that won't leave sticky residue.

Not a clear pick guard, but (if you don't mind the looks) I think athletic tape should work fine. I've been using this tape:

on my uke backs when I need a little more friction and it has never left any sticky residue even after months on the uke.

Stew Mac sells self adhesive pick guard material you cut to fit. Because your Martin IZ 1T has a matte finish, the cling static hold guards won't stick to the surface as they do on high gloss finishes.

People have mentioned cell phone and tablet screen protection materials.

Don't know what kind of residue the adhesives for any of these will leave. They will most likely leave some.

I use a clear plastic "screen protector" that I had for an old tablet installed on a couple of my ukuleles with scratch-sensitive tops. No adhesive needed and peels off cleanly if you want to remove it.

Why not live with it and go for the Willie Nelson Trigger look? 😉
I'd totally do that!
I actually have a cell phone screen protector on mine, but it's a gloss finish. May not hold on the matte. It's just held by static electricity
Interesting place for the scratch. mine's on the side of the hole closer to the player. Yours looks like it's on the other side and way up there.
Heck I'd probably just leave it with the lemon oil if you're keeping it.

Low-tech solution: strum somewhere else. You're among friends here. No one will narc on you to the ukulele police if you don't play sul tasto.
I'm trying to be more aware of my strumming pattern...

Someone needs to invent a thin plastic sheet with something like post-it note adhesive on the back.

Someone needs to invent a thin plastic sheet with something like post-it note adhesive on the back.
FYI, Post-It notes leave a residue if they are on a surface for more than a day. It's light and almost unoticeable bu there. Stick one on a piece of glass you'll see it.

If you're really concerned, pay a luthier or good repair tech to install and, if needed, remove a clear pickguard.

I only use a pickguard when, as the name suggests, a pick is used.
For hand played instruments like ukulele, I don't think a pickguard is worth it.

No amount of playing will ever destroy the instrument. I think play to your hearts content, and whatever marks your playing behind is a badge of honor.

Interesting topic. I strum often my ukes like a bat out of hell. Though, I fingerpick like petting a kitten. I don't use any protection.

Also, why do we need a "pick" guard when we aren't using a pick and only fingers and nails?

Also, why do we need a "pick" guard when we aren't using a pick and only fingers and nails?
I have had cedar- and redwood-topped ukuleles with thin finishes that have suffered from fingernail divots where I rest my little finger on the soundboard while fingerpicking. These ukes now have clear pickguards in the affected areas.

Does anyone use a clear "pick guard" that sticks onto the top? My Martin Iz, is getting a little wear, where my finger hits the top. Something that won't leave sticky residue. I've tried adjusting my strumming pattern, but I still hit it once in a while. 1st pic shows the mark, 2nd pic is after I wiped a little lemon oil on it. Thanks!
😁

View attachment 139770
View attachment 139771

😁

View attachment 139770
View attachment 139771
Yes. The uke site has them. Search under anuenue ukulele, there is a set-clear, you can trim it to fit and it is removeable. Good deal

Yes. The uke site has them. Search under anuenue ukulele, there is a set-clear, you can trim it to fit and it is removeable. Good deal
Can you share a link, I'm not finding anything...Mahalo! 🤙

Top Bottom