SOTU 531 -- Name Dropping

Ila

Reaction score

Greetings, fellow Seasonistas!

This week’s theme is about songs that mention famous or infamous people in the lyrics. For example, there’s Key Largo (“We had it all. Just like Bogie and Bacall,”) or Mrs. Robinson (“Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?”) or We Didn’t Start the Fire (“Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev, Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc.”)

There’s about a kajillion songs that fit the bill.

So here are the week’s parameters:
  • The video must be newly recorded for this Season.
  • The video must say that it is for SOTU 531 - “Name Dropping.”
  • An actual name must be in the song, not just some vague reference to someone by inference.
  • Please do not include religious figures. Biblical figures, God, deities, the Devil, demons, saints, prophets or angels do not qualify. It’s okay if they’re mentioned as long as they are not the only name being dropped. (For example, in American Pie, they mention James Dean as well as the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. American Pie therefore qualifies for SOTU 531 because of James Dean. On the other hand, Spirit in the Sky only mentions Jesus and therefore does not qualify.)
  • Also, fictional characters do not qualify. These must be real people. (For example, Puff the Magic Dragon only mentions Jackie Paper, who is fictional. Therefore, the song does not qualify.)
  • Original songs are always welcome, especially this week! I’m excited to see what creative verses you come up with! If you do choose to compose a piece, please post the lyrics so we can all read them.
  • The ukulele must be prominent. Other instruments are welcome but the uke must be front and center.
  • Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time, in keeping with tradition. (And remember, Season 530 is still in play! Show some more love to Del and his brother!)
  • The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, April 24.
  • There is NO LIMIT as to how many entries you can submit!
The playlist link is: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOE-LSahSNE6FlBQqpsrk9P1KqwaqpaMJ

The prize will be something uke themed and small that can be shipped internationally with ease. I welcome entries from all over this great big blue marble we inhabit! The more the merrier, people! Invite others to join in!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN.

That's a really clever idea, Ila ... and, for the moment, I can't think of one song that qualifies!

No one else is awake yet, and I am feeling a bit silly. Time to break out the kazoos.

My dad loves Neil Diamond. This was written about Caroline Kennedy, daughter of John F Kennedy. Who knew?

"Lookin' Out "Lookin' Out My Back Door", by Creedence Clearwater Revival. For concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of electric bass, whistling, secondary vocal, and tenor ukulele. (Listen for the "Buck Owens" name drop at 0:41)

Thanks for hosting Ila!

A low hanging fruit - think of a musical about a real person, and pick the song which opens the show.

Hey, Ila!

Thanks for hosting. Three or four songs which fit the bill popped into my head straight away. Whether or not I manage to find the time to get them all back out remains to be seen...Here's the first one I thought of, by Fountains Of Wayne, which name drops Mr. Christopher Walken

had some time yesterday and this morning to try and exorcise similar demons to Bob’s. These were the first two that popped into my head. Thanks for hosting Ila.

Thanks Ila. A song about a couple of real life wrong 'uns. I saw Georgie Fame in Sydney sometime in the '70's. I guess he must have sung this. Memory hazy.

thank you for this week Ila
this, one of the first armful of songs i ever wrote
30 years ago. i must be old
recorded today for the season

What a great start to the week! We've had more than a dozen entries and they're so varied! We've seen movie stars, political figures, historical figures, eccentrics, career criminals, captains of industry, entertainers, and all sorts of rich and famous individuals. Hopefully, there'll be many more to come! Keep 'em coming, people!

I wonder if anyone's going to take on the Bonzo's "Intro and Outro"? Da. Da. Daa-Da.... Da. Da. Daa-Da.... :)

Ginger Rogers was so much better than Fred Astaire, because she could do all the same steps backwards, but also in high heels.

Top Bottom