NUD (L. Luthier Le Light Koa S) and a cautionary tale about "koa"

Dohle

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to keep the NUD portion of this post as short as possible because I want to discuss something else as well.

First the preamble. I had been looking for a softwood top/koa concert uke for probably over a year when I noticed the new batch of L. Luthier ukes in the Southern Ukulele Store. They had had these ukes on stock before but they only now got my interest. I had been ready to pull the trigger on something as expensive as a deluxe Kamaka but there it was, the L. Luthier Le Light Koa S, a spruce topped koa concert uke with an interesting build and a fraction of the price, so off I went and bought it.

Now first off all, I think this uke is quite amazing. There's very little I dislike about the design even if I'm not completely in love with it. The quirky soundhole design is ok but for some reason I quite like it with the tiny side soundhole. What I like less is the end of the fretboard that's been cut in an angle but considering the design of it - the fact that it's in line with the side of the soundhole - I think it's fine. Otherwise the detail and decor are fabulous. The subtle red purfling (padauk maybe?) is lovely but the flamed maple binding throughout the whole body and fretboard is just stunninng. Love it. The bridge is a bit on the large side but I love the tiny lighter strip on it. There's even a tiny notch in the left corner of the headstock to distinguish the otherwise very square-like shape of it. The body is finished in a high gloss but the neck has a... well, I was about to say satin finish but it isn't really. It feels more like a gloss that's been buffed so the feel is silky smooth. A very nice detail in my opinion.

And then the sound, my goodness, the sound. I'd describe it as powerful. The uke came with Savarez fluorocarbon strings which are quite high tension so they produced a very rounded and deep tone. I was a bit apprehensive to switch to regular tension strings but the Worth Browns I put on it still sound amazing. The uke has a very wide body compared to regular concert ukes and that provides a very deep, warm and - as I described earlier - powerful sound. I'm really pleased the Worth Browns work so well on it because they certainly bring more brightness to the tone than the stock strings but still retain the fullness of the sound. I'd say this is quite a unique concert uke in terms of both design and tone.

PHOTOS:
IMG20220530144203.jpgIMG20220530144232.jpgIMG20220530144248.jpg

But... after a few weeks of owning this thing I noticed that both SUS and the L. Luthier website had changed the description of the hardwood from "Koa" to "Formosan Koa". And as I'm sure many of you know, that ain't really koa, is it now... It's basically acacia confusa that's grown in the Pacific island region and is also sometimes referred to as "Pacific Koa". I'm 100% percent sure that this was not disclosed when I originally bought the uke so you can understand my disappointment (or can you?). The koa/acacia debacle is often quite a sensitive topic within the ukulele community and I personally find it annoying and distasteful when companies deceive customers, whether that's intentional or not. The other issue for me is that I'm left feeling a bit naïve. I thought I finally found a spruce/koa uke that's well under a grand but of course I should've known it was too good to be true. The looks on the sides and back certainly fooled me but alas... Then again, does it really matter that much in the end? The uke still sounds amazing regardless of the precise wood and the build quality is superb, easily surpassing the price in my opinion. So am I disappointed? Yes, a bit, but am I going to sell or return the uke? Absolutely not. I think the quality and uniqueness is such that I still love it. But I suppose the more interesting question is, would I have bought it originally if I had known about the "koa issue"? That's something I'm not so sure about...

I have the same uke in all mahogany and a tenor and I love it. Love the unusual design and little details on the headstock, sound port and bridge, LOVE the sound! As for your wood, I've seen lots of Koa that wasn't that nice, and I believe that the sound of Acacia and Koa is close if not identical. But I'm with you, it should have been listed the right way especially for SUS. I would give them a chance to make it right somehow. I bet they will. Probably wasn't intentional but still... Your uke is beautiful!

I understand your 'disappointment' Dohle,
but what a sweetie of a uke it is! absolutely love
the body proportions. and given how much you like the sound
and looks, seems to me you have made a super choice.
she's a real beauty!
:) 💚 🌻

First, I am glad it has met or exceeded expectations and its price point.

The question is whether this will satisfy you (a little nagging doubt) or whether you still want a Kamaka or similar. This would depend on your situation and personality. I am at the point where I am willing to pay for what I want, which all seem to cost well over $1k. The name, looks, and the actual uke matter to me. I seem to roll through a few $500 to $1000 ukes each year and always move them along because they are not as nice as the ones costing at least double, triple, or more. And I currently have a custom on order which I expect to be a keeper.

But... after a few weeks of owning this thing I noticed that both SUS and the L. Luthier website had changed the description of the hardwood from "Koa" to "Formosan Koa". And as I'm sure many of you know, that ain't really koa, is it now... It's basically acacia confusa that's grown in the Pacific island region and is also sometimes referred to as "Pacific Koa". I'm 100% percent sure that this was not disclosed when I originally bought the uke so you can understand my disappointment (or can you?). The koa/acacia debacle is often quite a sensitive topic within the ukulele community and I personally find it annoying and distasteful when companies deceive customers, whether that's intentional or not. The other issue for me is that I'm left feeling a bit naïve. I thought I finally found a spruce/koa uke that's well under a grand but of course I should've known it was too good to be true. The looks on the sides and back certainly fooled me but alas... Then again, does it really matter that much in the end? The uke still sounds amazing regardless of the precise wood and the build quality is superb, easily surpassing the price in my opinion. So am I disappointed? Yes, a bit, but am I going to sell or return the uke? Absolutely not. I think the quality and uniqueness is such that I still love it. But I suppose the more interesting question is, would I have bought it originally if I had known about the "koa issue"? That's something I'm not so sure about...
Given that Alex said the tenor version had “Hawaiian Koa” in a May 5, 2022 video, I’m guessing that SUS was unaware until recently too.

In the end, the most important thing is that you’re happy with the sound and playability.

Given that Alex said the tenor version had “Hawaiian Koa” in a May 5, 2022 video, I’m guessing that SUS was unaware until recently too.

In the comments for that May 5 2022 video, Matty pointed out that L Luthier used Formosan Koa, and SUS said they were going to change their listing. Since L Luthier is a new brand to SUS, I'm assuming SUS just posted whatever specs L Luthier provided.

And then the sound, my goodness, the sound. I'd describe it as powerful. The uke came with Savarez fluorocarbon strings which are quite high tension so they produced a very rounded and deep tone. I was a bit apprehensive to switch to regular tension strings but the Worth Browns I put on it still sound amazing.

Congrats! That is a good-looking uke.
I think the most important thing is that you like it.
WRT missing fretboard corner, it does seem like the fretboard there is more a decoration than something meant to be used.

Congrats on a great looking ukulele. Yeah, I'd be a bit miffed about how it was listed. Fortunately, you seem to have gotten your money's worth with a uke you enjoy playing. And showing off for its unique look.

I'd drop the seller and the maker an email about your unhappiness over the inaccurate information in the listing. You did your due diligence and accepted the listing as being accurate. They should know about how you feel.

IMHO, the terms "Formosa Koa" and "Pacific Koa" are deliberate marketing attempts to confuse the consumers. (The maker, not the seller.) Just like "All-Koa" vs "Solid Koa."

Caveat Emptor y'all.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments! I probably should've been more clear and mentioned that I'm in no way upset towards SUS. I probably would have a decent case for getting some sort of recompense but I honestly can't be bothered. It indeed seems that they were going with the specs from the manufacturer and I would certainly put more blame towards them. But the fact is that I'm otherwise so impressed with the uke that this is something I'm willing to just get over with, especially considering the price (which I actually forgot to mention, it was about £600).

I have the same uke in all mahogany and a tenor and I love it. Love the unusual design and little details on the headstock, sound port and bridge, LOVE the sound! As for your wood, I've seen lots of Koa that wasn't that nice, and I believe that the sound of Acacia and Koa is close if not identical. But I'm with you, it should have been listed the right way especially for SUS. I would give them a chance to make it right somehow. I bet they will. Probably wasn't intentional but still... Your uke is beautiful!
That's actually a really good point. It's important to realise that koa isn't necessarily always a better choice of wood. Certainly looks-wise it can sometimes be quite awful (see the debacle about the Mexican-made Martin ukes). The wood on all L. Luthier ukes is gorgeous and the sound is fantastic. Can't really complain that much.

First, I am glad it has met or exceeded expectations and its price point.

The question is whether this will satisfy you (a little nagging doubt) or whether you still want a Kamaka or similar. This would depend on your situation and personality. I am at the point where I am willing to pay for what I want, which all seem to cost well over $1k. The name, looks, and the actual uke matter to me. I seem to roll through a few $500 to $1000 ukes each year and always move them along because they are not as nice as the ones costing at least double, triple, or more. And I currently have a custom on order which I expect to be a keeper.
This is something to think about for sure. I'm pretty much in the same position. I have a few ukes that I really love - some in that mid-range of 500-1000 dollars, some beyond that - and I feel I've covered most of the bases that I want in terms of quality and tone. I feel privileged that I can pretty much browse ukes and take my pick when something really interesting comes along and that really doesn't happen that often these days. I also have a custom on order so that's something to look forwards to as well. Maybe if that deluxe Kamaka or something similar appears one day I might get the temptation to go for it, but in the meantime I'm quite happy with what I've got, including the L. Luthier.

I actually hope my baritone isn't made of a rare wood.... it's supposedly "ebony", a term which I've since learned includes some seriously overexploited African and Asian hardwoods.

I have been following L Luthier on Instagram long before they hit Western stores and always liked their unusual shape, so I'm glad to hear that you love the sound and describe it as full. I think they have the potential to become something similar to Anuenue: a quality made uke from Asia with a very special design that might become very well received by the ukulele community (and hence see a massive price increase).

I think the wood on your uke is more beautiful than many others made from "real" Koa, and as others have mentioned, "real" Koa does not have any better inherent sound qualities than other species of Acacia. All the more, I think it is a shame that they think they have to promote their instruments with a false claim, which simply aims at pulling more money out of the gullible's pockets. Following the market closely for several years, I would say that it is impossible these days to get a new solid Koa uke for under $700 USD, so this would always raise my suspicion.

Still, this is a very nice uke, and you will be glad to have bought it before the price increase I have been predicting.

Thanks for sharing this. To be honest, I feel that it's quite disappointing and a little embarrassing that a boutique custom guitar/ukulele making workshop like L. Luthier is resorting to cheap Amazon reseller antics like this for their instruments. Naming your flagship ukulele line "Le Koa" when they are actually made of acacia is a major faux pas. As a custom shop, I would imagine most if not all their clientele are discerning customers (like Dohle) and know that "formosa koa" or "pacific koa" is actually acacia and not real koa.

I have been following L Luthier on Instagram long before they hit Western stores and always liked their unusual shape, so I'm glad to hear that you love the sound and describe it as full. I think they have the potential to become something similar to Anuenue: a quality made uke from Asia with a very special design that might become very well received by the ukulele community (and hence see a massive price increase).

I think the wood on your uke is more beautiful than many others made from "real" Koa, and as others have mentioned, "real" Koa does not have any better inherent sound qualities than other species of Acacia. All the more, I think it is a shame that they think they have to promote their instruments with a false claim, which simply aims at pulling more money out of the gullible's pockets. Following the market closely for several years, I would say that it is impossible these days to get a new solid Koa uke for under $700 USD, so this would always raise my suspicion.

Still, this is a very nice uke, and you will be glad to have bought it before the price increase I have been predicting.
Tell you what, the quality and design definitely reminds me of aNueNue but with basically half the price. They're quirky and pretty much flawless in their finish and quality. I guess the price difference comes mostly from the woods used and the difference in prestige. Interesting to see if L. Luthier can take of similarly to aNueNue.

Thanks for sharing this. To be honest, I feel that it's quite disappointing and a little embarrassing that a boutique custom guitar/ukulele making workshop like L. Luthier is resorting to cheap Amazon reseller antics like this for their instruments. Naming your flagship ukulele line "Le Koa" when they are actually made of acacia is a major faux pas. As a custom shop, I would imagine most if not all their clientele are discerning customers (like Dohle) and know that "formosa koa" or "pacific koa" is actually acacia and not real koa.
Definitely agree. It seems some of these Far Eastern instrument manufacturers in particular are resorting to similar tactics. For example, Maestro Guitars does the same, they use the term "Pacific Koa" with some of their ukes. I don't know if this is something related to cultural or linguistic differences but it does seem that way. I don't like it but I'm willing to give some benefit of the doubt.

Tell you what, the quality and design definitely reminds me of aNueNue but with basically half the price. They're quirky and pretty much flawless in their finish and quality. I guess the price difference comes mostly from the woods used and the difference in prestige. Interesting to see if L. Luthier can take of similarly to aNueNue.

Definitely agree. It seems some of these Far Eastern instrument manufacturers in particular are resorting to similar tactics. For example, Maestro Guitars does the same, they use the term "Pacific Koa" with some of their ukes. I don't know if this is something related to cultural or linguistic differences but it does seem that way. I don't like it but I'm willing to give some benefit of the doubt.
Maestro and L.Luthier are respected custom shops, so it’s kinda puzzling why they do this. Of all people, they should well aware of the potential blowback of misrepresenting the tonewoods they’re using for their instruments, especially when they have a knowledgeable clientele who know their stuff and are paying top money for their instruments. Perhaps some of their customers should let them know about this.

Ok, I'll try to keep the NUD portion of this post as short as possible because I want to discuss something else as well.

First the preamble. I had been looking for a softwood top/koa concert uke for probably over a year when I noticed the new batch of L. Luthier ukes in the Southern Ukulele Store. They had had these ukes on stock before but they only now got my interest. I had been ready to pull the trigger on something as expensive as a deluxe Kamaka but there it was, the L. Luthier Le Light Koa S, a spruce topped koa concert uke with an interesting build and a fraction of the price, so off I went and bought it.

Now first off all, I think this uke is quite amazing. There's very little I dislike about the design even if I'm not completely in love with it. The quirky soundhole design is ok but for some reason I quite like it with the tiny side soundhole. What I like less is the end of the fretboard that's been cut in an angle but considering the design of it - the fact that it's in line with the side of the soundhole - I think it's fine. Otherwise the detail and decor are fabulous. The subtle red purfling (padauk maybe?) is lovely but the flamed maple binding throughout the whole body and fretboard is just stunninng. Love it. The bridge is a bit on the large side but I love the tiny lighter strip on it. There's even a tiny notch in the left corner of the headstock to distinguish the otherwise very square-like shape of it. The body is finished in a high gloss but the neck has a... well, I was about to say satin finish but it isn't really. It feels more like a gloss that's been buffed so the feel is silky smooth. A very nice detail in my opinion.

And then the sound, my goodness, the sound. I'd describe it as powerful. The uke came with Savarez fluorocarbon strings which are quite high tension so they produced a very rounded and deep tone. I was a bit apprehensive to switch to regular tension strings but the Worth Browns I put on it still sound amazing. The uke has a very wide body compared to regular concert ukes and that provides a very deep, warm and - as I described earlier - powerful sound. I'm really pleased the Worth Browns work so well on it because they certainly bring more brightness to the tone than the stock strings but still retain the fullness of the sound. I'd say this is quite a unique concert uke in terms of both design and tone.

PHOTOS:

We have to be able to trust the specs listed for ukes. There is only one koa, and it doesn't come from Formosa. If I had bought one of those, I would be looking for a refund, not based on the wood, but on the lie.

The same issue applies to Mahogany.
The term may refer to Honduran / Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia) or to African Mahogany (Sapele). The two woods are quite different (Sapele is often striped, whereas "genuine" Mahogany is plain), but few makers mention the full name on specs sheets.

I don't think the makers are trying to deceive the customers. They just use whatever word is short enough to get the message through. Seems like customers are more and more aware of details like that and ask for more precise descriptions. There was a time when specs sheets just mentioned things like "hardwood back and sides" or "spruce top". Customers of today want to know whether it's Sitka or Engelmann or whatever, and makers adjust.

One thing to remember: if it sounds good, it's good!

Last edited:
I think that this is much about personal opinion and belief. There is a lot of marketing hype around "koa" and all too often the marketing spoo is not combined with a precise description of the wood species. Many people also buy into the belief that koa has some superior properties to other woods, which may be a myth that many owners of koa ukes gladly perpetuate. The only facts are that koa is a feature of Hawaiian ukes, that it is relatively rare, and needs to be transported a long distance for builds outside of Hawaii which all increase cost. I personally would only buy a Hawaiian made koa uke. For the uke described here it is only the body that is made of acacia material, and if body material has generally much to contribute to tone is also more than uncertain. So thanks to OP for pointing out marketing spoo, but he should enjoy cheap uke as it is, and learn the lesson.

The same issue applies to Mahogany.
The term may refer to Honduran / Cuban Mahogany (Dalbergia) or to African Mahogany (Sapele). The two woods are quite different (Sapele is often striped, whereas "genuine" Mahogany is plain), but few makers mention the full name on specs sheets.

On the spec sheets sapele is called "sapele" by Martin and Taylor. If a manufacturer tries to call it Mahogany-anything, I'd feel that manufacturer is trying to deceive me.

I don't think the makers are trying to deceive the customers. They just use whatever word is short enough to get the message through. Seems like customers are more

I have a difference of opinion because when the wood is called something else, it's always a more expensive/desireable wood, like in the OP's case.

One thing to remember: if it sounds good, it's good!

This is true. I have a sapele guitar (Martin 000-10e, BTWi it's an incredible value for an all-solid guitar) that sounds great, and I like it very much. However, I know up front that it's sapele wood when buying it; Martin made sure of that.

Top Bottom