Latest Profile Posts

rainbow21

UU VIP
Reaction score
On the right side of my Forums Page, there are two sections. One is "Latest Posts".

The other is "Latest Profile Posts". In this column, it appears as if these are "PMs" that are meant to be a private communication between members, including emails, PayPal accounts, and others that I do not think are intended for the public to read. They do not show up in the forum categories such as Uke Talk.

Anyone else noticing this or am I incorrect that these were meant to be member to member communications?

Yes, I see that. That is odd.

That does not seem like something that should be happening.

Eek. Glad I never discuss anything too personal on here. Imagine venting about your hemorrhoids, and then realizing the entire public can see...

What I have noticed is that if you go to somebody’s profile and do a profile post, it shows to everyone. If you go to somebody profile and do “start a conversation” then it does not show to everyone.

but this is a good thread because it reminds me, there’s no reason for my conversation with Peter to show up for everybody all the time, even if it was fruitful for me for a moment when I was trying to get his address quickly and I assumed he’d see it on the “latest” screen even if he had notifications off. It’s not longer needed, so I took it down. Good housekeeping reminder!

What I have noticed is that if you go to somebody’s profile and do a profile post, it shows to everyone. If you go to somebody profile and do “start a conversation” then it does not show to everyone.

but this is a good thread because it reminds me, there’s no reason for my conversation with Peter to show up for everybody all the time, even if it was fruitful for me for a moment when I was trying to get his address quickly and I assumed he’d see it on the “latest” screen even if he had notifications off. It’s not longer needed, so I took it down. Good housekeeping reminder!
Good information...

I "reported" my own post with the message:
"My post, but I wanted to call attention to this matter. What many posters, including me, assume is that this is a private message to the recipient and wanted to know if this could be changed to make it private."

I wonder if that's a tech thing we should post on the "Site Suggestions" section, i.e. maybe we DON'T want this to be made a quick view option most of the time, since it seems to me that the most people do there are treating it like a convo process, when clearly it's not!

i'm glad you pointed this out rainbow. it's been worrying me for weeks.
i nearly posted about it the other day when someone's actual address
was in naked view for all to see! that's terrible;
clearly the vast majority of these 'latest profile posts' are written as
private communications between members and the fact that everyone
can see them is very concerning and just plain wrong.
it's just a matter of time until something extremely compromising b/comes
publicly visible.

This is not a bug or issue with the site. As donboody mentioned, you can leave messages to other people's profiles and those are publicly visible. If you want to have a private conversation with another UU member you should use private messages. This doesn't seem to be obvious to everyone so it's important to let people know how the site operates. I would suggest having a sticky thread where some of these less than obvious features could be listed and explained, or something like that.

I would suggest having a sticky thread where some of these less than obvious features could be listed and explained, or something like that.
Oh yes, this is sort of more along the lines of what I'd meant. Good idea!

If anyone wants to communicate personally w/ another member,
folks should first hover their mouse over that persons name and
always choose the 'start conversation' option -
this guarantees that the words exchanged between the two of you
remain private.

What I have noticed is that if you go to somebody’s profile and do a profile post, it shows to everyone. If you go to somebody profile and do “Start conversation” then it does not show to everyone.
U+2191.svg This is correct. If you would like to interact with someone privately/directly (PM/DM), please use the "Start conversation" button. You can do this by hovering or clicking on their profile photo & clicking "Start conversation" or double clicking on their profile photo, going to their profile, and clicking "Start conversation".

Responding to someone via profile post will always be viewable on their public profile, unless you delete your comment. In the meantime, I'll work on possibly removing the "New Profile Posts" section from the main Forum sidebar, but please let me know if there are any other questions or concerns about this. Mahalo!

Top Bottom