How many songs to practice simultaneously?

Erwitt

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm taking the course Ukulele Way and I only practice arrangements from there. Usually two simultaneously: when I get enough confidence in one of them I go for a new one, and so on. I feel that keeps me from getting scattered, but on the other hand sometimes I get bored.

So I'm curious, how many songs do you practice at the same time? And do you think I should introduce more songs in my practice?

Thank you!

Not sure what you mean by the same time. My uke group plays together every other Wednesday and every other Sunday. We do about 19 songs each time, so I practice the set list two or three times, a day or two before we meet.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

That’s pretty much how I handled ukulele way. Once I could play the songs well enough to play them through on a video (surprisingly more difficult than off video for me lol) I moved on to another song.

I typically work with 2 or 3 at a time. When I get comfortable with one (and like it), I write it down, then another takes its place. I strive to have them be in different keys (C/Am, D/Bm, F/Dm. G/Em...) so I get used to playing different chord combinations. This allows me to learn how a chord works in other keys.

Out of the blue, I'll go review the ones I wrote down. Relearning them becomes easier.

Do I have a repertoire? Not yet. Somewhat. I am determined.

Last edited:
My rule of thumb is if I'm feeling bored, I learn more. If I'm feeling overwhelmed, I learn fewer. If people on the internet tell me how many songs I "should" be learning, I ignore them.
This is an excellent point and probably the real correct answer. Nevertheless, no harm in collecting data on others experiences to influence your own.

So I'm curious, how many songs do you practice at the same time? And do you think I should introduce more songs in my practice?

I've not practiced the uke for a while now. But when I did, I ususally take on 2 or 3 songs to advance my skill; this provides me with good focus on those songs and not get too bored with only a single song. I don't move on until I finish those songs; so many times, I'll just have 1 song to work on because I've completed the others in the set.

The above is only for practicing and improving. I play many other songs just for fun; but I always push forward on the practicing set of songs.

I think having too many songs that is pushing your limits (e.g. designed to improve your skill) is not a good idea because you can't focus on any of them. To improve, you have to play songs that's difficult and offers something new to you; and so, you must play it in small sections (like a phrase, a few measures, or even just 1 measure). This type of playing needs good focus; you don't want to move on until you've really learned those songs.

I have about five or six exercises that I practice for each of my tunings (linear & reentrant). I have probably five or six songs that I'm playing on each of my tunings that I practice, then about once a month or so (whenever I'm feeling like I need a new challenge), I try to learn a new song with one (or both) of my tunings and add that into the rotation. All of these are classical, fingerstyle pieces. I've also been practicing some simple chord-change songs, just to get better at that. Now that I'm starting on jamming, I'm going to be adding some chord progression exercises in different keys so that I can get that familiarity (both with the chord shapes and the progression variations). I may not manage to do all of that in one practice session (sometimes I can manage a two or three hour session, though, and accomplish a lot in that), but I make sure to get through at least some exercises and a few songs each day, and ensure that I work through all of my practice goals within the week at least twice. I usually manage to play at least 10 minutes a day, whatever I do (unless, of course, I drive a splinter under my nail...).

My rule of thumb is if I'm feeling bored, I learn more. If I'm feeling overwhelmed, I learn fewer. If people on the internet tell me how many songs I "should" be learning, I ignore them.
I think this is the best piece of advice to follow. Play for the love of playing, pick a skill to practice that you feel like you want to improve on, but always make sure to do something you enjoy and just enjoy. There will always be methodologies and approaches that people will recommend, but do what works for you and feels right for your personal practice.

Hi,

I'm taking the course Ukulele Way and I only practice arrangements from there. Usually two simultaneously: when I get enough confidence in one of them I go for a new one, and so on. I feel that keeps me from getting scattered, but on the other hand sometimes I get bored.

Thank you!
I am scattered... After four years, I rarely play a complete song and often pick the uke up for intervals as short as 30 seconds while watching TV. I usually have one or two songs that I want to slowly get better at... but I play for no one else but myself. I do not sing while playing and perform any songs in front of others. So I am happy at any progress or lack of progress as I am enjoying the experience. (and I did enjoy The Ukulele Way as my foundation for chord melody playing - even here I skipped around a lot).

Now ask about what ukulele I should buy next and that is a whole different ball game!

I am scattered... After four years, I rarely play a complete song and often pick the uke up for intervals as short as 30 seconds while watching TV.
It is important to work through an entire song. Sure, there will be many potholes and bumps but hum along and keep counting.ng out the measures to pick up and continue where you can. Go back and practice the phrases where you got off track and develop ways (practice) to get back on track. This will help you anticipate the trouble spots and smooth things out.

I generally don't practice more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I stop to read news and curiosity items (like Ukulele Underground), start a load of laundry, take a short walk, go pull some weeds... then resume practice when it begs me. Turn off the TV as it distracts your attention.

I learn one song at a time. It takes me forever to memorize stuff and I don’t want to accidentally slip into another piece I’m learning’s melody.

That said, I always practice the songs I have memorized or I’ll start to forget them. I put labels on playing a cards so the order is always random and, eventually, it’ll turn into a half hour of repertoire and I’ll pull those cards until all the cards have been exhausted.

Hi,

Thank you!
I'm trying to develop a repertoire of chord melody songs I can play pretty much from memory. Right now I'm practising a arrangements of "Somewhere" (West Side Story), "Misty" and James Hill's "Georgia on My Mind".

there is only one song, the one you're working on. That may change in 5 minutes. But in the now there is only one song, as there is only one chord progression: the chord you're on and the chord you're moving to.

Just a life lesson I learned from juggling: if you don't have your mind and eye on the next ball, everything falls to the ground.

Last edited:
I'll just hear a song I like and just fiddle with it until it's playable for me. Can't quite figure a strum on an intro to a song I heard the other day (especially at that speed) so I changed it to a Travis pick variation that I like.
I also can't play a standard E to save my life, so I usually practice something in A just so I can play ADE up the neck. I'm trying tone smoother bouncing between those and other chords that sound better down the neck to me. Slow, but I'm progressing

I play for no one else but myself. I do not sing while playing and perform any songs in front of others. So I am happy at any progress or lack of progress as I am enjoying the experience. <snip>

Now ask about what ukulele I should buy next and that is a whole different ball game!
I'm the same - I play for no one but myself, (and my dogs, who ignore me until they hear the case close, and then find me interesting again.) It's a hobby, and it's about enjoyment. So, I work on what I want, jump around with what I'm working on if I'm getting bored, (which means I have a lot of things I've never completely learned), but it's all about my enjoyment of it, so that's fine. OTOH, over time, I've accumulated enough music to memory that I can play for an hour without working on something new, so even though my approach wouldn't be recommended by teachers, I'm sure, it has been working for me, anyway.

I'm anticipating having more free time in a month or so, though, and the plan is to get a bit more organized about learning new things. When I'm in that mode, I tend to work on 2 or 3 new things at a time, but will still skip around to other new things if the mood strikes me. So far, the dogs haven't objected to my approach.

So, I'll ask, rainbow21, what ukulele should you buy next? LOL.
I'm trying to hold steady with what I have, but still am in love with those Barron River ukuleles....

Not sure what you mean by the same time. My uke group plays together every other Wednesday and every other Sunday. We do about 19 songs each time, so I practice the set list two or three times, a day or two before we meet.

I mean how many "in practice" songs do you have until you are able to play it smoothly. Songs that are challenging in some way because involve build new skill on your part, not just learn a new song with the chords you already know, for example.

In my case, I focus primarily in chord melody. And one of the songs I'm practising now has a jump from third to tenth fret, when I have never played that high. It also requires using the pinky, which I had also never used before.

This kind of pieces can take me easily several weeks until I'm confident playing them, so I can't imagine myself practicing 19 songs in a day or two :eek:

Last edited:
I am scattered... After four years, I rarely play a complete song and often pick the uke up for intervals as short as 30 seconds while watching TV. I usually have one or two songs that I want to slowly get better at... but I play for no one else but myself. I do not sing while playing and perform any songs in front of others. So I am happy at any progress or lack of progress as I am enjoying the experience. (and I did enjoy The Ukulele Way as my foundation for chord melody playing - even here I skipped around a lot).

I also play only for myself... well, almost, because sometimes I have played for some friends or family. But never for more than 4-5 people, and definitely that's not my goal for playing.

But that doesn't mean I don't also like to make progress and feel that my practice sessions are efficient. I feel accomplished when I get to play a song seemed overwhelming at first... even if I play it only for myself.

This kind of pieces can take me easily several weeks until I'm confident playing them, so I can't imagine myself practicing 19 songs in a day or two :eek:
There is not one song that I have confidence playing yet. I've only been playing the ukulele since February, so each of the songs that I practice, I still fumble on more than never. But I also get bored of something, or want to try something different, hence I've got quite a few pieces in rotation that I try to work on each week. Plus, the sections that I fumble most on: I will spend time and just focus on that section, practice it over and over more slowly, then I'll try again with the whole piece to see if that focused practice improved that section a bit. If it didn't that time, I will leave it alone and try another section from another song, and come back to it. I find that my body & brain need some focused time to attend to a problem, then they need me to walk away from the problem for a little while so that the little bit of learning can synthesize, then I can come back to it again, and usually there will be some improvement which gelled during the break. There is one example from James Hill's Booster Uke that I just can't do very well, so I've dropped it out of main rotation for now. I'll pick it up again and work on it periodically, then let it go. But each time I pick it up again, I've worked on other skills in the interim, and those help me to play that piece just a little better each time.

I think having too many songs that is pushing your limits (e.g. designed to improve your skill) is not a good idea because you can't focus on any of them. To improve, you have to play songs that's difficult and offers something new to you; and so, you must play it in small sections (like a phrase, a few measures, or even just 1 measure). This type of playing needs good focus; you don't want to move on until you've really learned those songs.
That's exactly what I feel.

I learn one song at a time. It takes me forever to memorize stuff and I don’t want to accidentally slip into another piece I’m learning’s melody.

That said, I always practice the songs I have memorized or I’ll start to forget them. I put labels on playing a cards so the order is always random and, eventually, it’ll turn into a half hour of repertoire and I’ll pull those cards until all the cards have been exhausted.
By "memorize" do you mean being able to play without looking at the sheet? I have never tried to do so.

Top Bottom