Upgrade for a beginner and some questions

A good rule of thumb is not to make any major moves* until you’ve checked out the consensus on UU. Seriously!

(*That is, major moves that have anything to do with ukuleles.)

Here's to hoping this ukulele habit is as expansive as it is expensive 🙃

This hobby can be expansive and not expensive, if you want to go that way. If you listen to UU all day, it's going to be, as you've mentioned, both expansive and expensive.

Nothing beats external mics for sound on the ukes.

I agree with bbkobabe about sanding the nut to round off the corners. You can use a nail file, emery board or a piece of fine sandpaper. Gently start to round that pointy corner. Do a little, try it. Do a little, try it. Etc. Just enough to make it comfortable. You don't want to weaken end of the nut. Stay away from the slots. Clean off any dust.

If you like the big, in your face, jangly sound of nylon strings, Aquila is hard to beat. Martin has a Nylon they developed with Aquila. These give you a "Hawaiian" sound.
If you want a more chimey, ringing sound, try a fluorocarbon set. D'Addario, Worth, Martin, Oasis all make very good fluoro strings. A warmer more guitar-like sound.
Go to stringsbymail.com or stringsandbeyond.com and read their descriptions of the strings they sell. I find the descriptions to be pretty good starting point in finding strings that I might like.

I used a UkeKrazy canvas & foam semi-hard case case for a year or so before buying a hard case for my tenors. It has rings for attaching a strap. It's pretty light. And the interior compartment will hold a tuner. The outside pocket can hold a spare set of strings and a cloth. Not as good as a hardcase for humidification.

I would suggest the UkeCrazy cases, from the ones I have tried, but the others suggestions in the thread looks nice as well.

For strings Worth are my go to's. I usually go for the Browns, but the clears are good too. That being said, my string suppliers dont sell Oasis or Living Water, which I would be courious to try. I suggest you buy a set of each. Put one set on your concert, one on your soprano and keep one as a spare.

As for Aquila Lavas, they are nice, I only had good experiences, but I believe they are basically Super Nylguts coloured grey. If you want to try flourocarbon, they are not the thing.

As for the suggestion for cheap practice strings, dont worry about it. You will figure it out.

For low G, I use a wound low G, usually Freemont soloist. I have never needed to make any modifications to any of my ukuleles to use the wound low G, so if you're interested in experimenting, you could try swapping out your high g and give the low G a try. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to swap back to the high g.

I haven't played a Pono, but it looks like it's a tie bridge? IMO, once you get the hang of tie bridges, string changes aren't difficult. The only one I have problems with is the slotted bridge, and that's only on one particular ukulele. The other slotted bridges I've changed strings on were OK to work with. My preference is string through bridges, now that I've had the chance to try those. But any string change is doable, with enough patience, (in the case of my one slotted bridge that is difficult), and some videos to guide you.

I personally prefer fluorocarbon strings, but others have different preferences, so that's one thing to experiment with also. I tend to use Worth, Living Water, Martin, and Uke Logic strings, depending on the ukulele.

I think someone on UU recommended trying an IRig for a pickup that doesn't need to be installed. (Someone please correct me if I've got the name wrong.) It's one way to try out using a pickup, and you could move it from one ukulele to another, if you want. That's still on my to-do list, so no input from me on how well it works, (or if I even have the name correct, LOL.)

Lots of things to experiment with, and have fun with. Enjoy!

I agree with bbkobabe about sanding the nut to round off the corners. You can use a nail file, emery board or a piece of fine sandpaper. Gently start to round that pointy corner. Do a little, try it. Do a little, try it. Etc. Just enough to make it comfortable. You don't want to weaken end of the nut. Stay away from the slots. Clean off any dust.

If you like the big, in your face, jangly sound of nylon strings, Aquila is hard to beat. Martin has a Nylon they developed with Aquila. These give you a "Hawaiian" sound.
If you want a more chimey, ringing sound, try a fluorocarbon set. D'Addario, Worth, Martin, Oasis all make very good fluoro strings. A warmer more guitar-like sound.
Go to stringsbymail.com or stringsandbeyond.com and read their descriptions of the strings they sell. I find the descriptions to be pretty good starting point in finding strings that I might like.

I used a UkeKrazy canvas & foam semi-hard case case for a year or so before buying a hard case for my tenors. It has rings for attaching a strap. It's pretty light. And the interior compartment will hold a tuner. The outside pocket can hold a spare set of strings and a cloth. Not as good as a hardcase for humidification.
Nylgut's , on a Pono MC ?

I would suggest the UkeCrazy cases, from the ones I have tried, but the others suggestions in the thread looks nice as well.

For strings Worth are my go to's. I usually go for the Browns, but the clears are good too. That being said, my string suppliers dont sell Oasis or Living Water, which I would be courious to try. I suggest you buy a set of each. Put one set on your concert, one on your soprano and keep one as a spare.

As for Aquila Lavas, they are nice, I only had good experiences, but I believe they are basically Super Nylguts coloured grey. If you want to try flourocarbon, they are not the thing.

As for the suggestion for cheap practice strings, dont worry about it. You will figure it out.
You can only buy Living Waters strings from UkeRepublic.com in the US, or directly from the UK store: kenmiddleton.co.uk/shop
Uke Republic fills orders quickly if they are in stock. Supply chain and Brexit aside.

You can only buy Living Waters strings from UkeRepublic.com in the US, or directly from the UK store: kenmiddleton.co.uk/shop
Uke Republic fills orders quickly if they are in stock. Supply chain and Brexit aside.
I figured it was tricky like that!
Since I live in Denmark, in the EU, I would have to put myself through a lot of customs and shipping hassle for a few tester sets of strings.
I am courious, but not courious enough to go through that. I usually like to order strings and other accessories in the same place, preferably within the EU. That limits the options a bit.

Top Bottom