Travel or beater instruments

EDW

Reaction score
There is often discussion or mention of "travel" instruments or "beater" instruments, ie- instruments that are for leaving around, throwing in the car, stuffing in a travel bag, taking on trips, etc. I understand why some may want to avoid taking vintage or high end instruments into situations which could prove harmful. Often people talk about using lower quality instruments or instruments that are laminate, plastic, etc.

At the same time, there is a real pleasure in playing good quality instruments that feel and sound great to play. I do see some people who use decent instruments in a good hardshell case or something that is good but not irreplaceable. I don't travel much where I need something like that too often or have situations in extreme conditions, but I have started to think that perhaps life is too short to play on lousy or inferior instruments. Are there people here who believe that and prefer to keep to a decent standard?

I take a decent uke with me when I travel by car as I am more in control of where it is. When I started taking a uke with me on my sailing trips or to the beach, I used a pair of Outdoor ukes (my wife plays too). Lately I have been lucky to have a Blackbird Clara and with a nice hardshell, it now goes out on the boat or beach. And while the Outdoor ukes are practical players, for how their made, their voice doesn't compare to a nicer uke. Just my 2 cents. Rick

I've also scrapped using outdoors because of the sound, and now lean towards cheaper but still decent sounding ukes for travel. Of course there are different levels of travel (and the "protection" needed)- road tripping in car to stay at grandma's is gonna be much different than backpacking and living in a tent for a week. I factor in the replacement cost as well.

The only time I ever traveled with a uke it was an Eddy Finn P-NUT. I was sitting by the fire pit while my wife was taking a nap inside. It was day time. I was playing wipeout on the P-NUT. A deer and a turkey came out of the woods. It was surreal.

Life is short..As you know, I have been traveling around Colombia, playing in parks, and at times even coffee houses, with my 1920 Weymann. It is a bit beat anyhow, but I am thrilled to be hanging with during this special time. I have a nice and light fiberglass hardcase, and so far, so good. But what happens, happens.Uke in Rosales.jpeg

Last edited:
They don't need to be super cheap to be beater/travel ukes. My travelers are Famous sopranos and a tenor Fluke, and I find they sound and play great, no compromises, although I wouldn't hesitate to take a vintage Martin. I'd just need to be more wary of heat & humidity. Oh...and own a vintage Martin! 😄

Last edited:
I've posted on here that I'd like to get an Enya Nova. That makes sense to me for travel because I help out at weeks of summer camp. I take vacations with my in-laws to the beach. I also live in a fairly humid area. I don't really have the money for an Enya so I don't really have the money to replace a nice uke if a kid decides to play it without asking at a week of camp and then drops it. Or a kid isn't paying attention and while playing throws something at it, or falls on it and breaks it. For me, a travel uke would be good insurance that I'm able to enjoy my nicer one for longer. As you said, life is too short to play a poorly constructed/playing instrument. It's also too short to be without an instrument. Shoot, I'm getting ready to go into the hospital for a month... I'm kinda nervous to take my uke there... but I'm more worried about being bored out of my mind 🤪 I see your point, but that's the other side of the story.

Back when I did a lot of travelling in the North East US and neighboring Canadian Provinces my "beater ukulele" compromise was a Martin OXK. It was very rugged, temp and humidity tolerant and sounded good.

I've posted on here that I'd like to get an Enya Nova. That makes sense to me for travel because I help out at weeks of summer camp. I take vacations with my in-laws to the beach. I also live in a fairly humid area. I don't really have the money for an Enya so I don't really have the money to replace a nice uke if a kid decides to play it without asking at a week of camp and then drops it. Or a kid isn't paying attention and while playing throws something at it, or falls on it and breaks it. For me, a travel uke would be good insurance that I'm able to enjoy my nicer one for longer. As you said, life is too short to play a poorly constructed/playing instrument. It's also too short to be without an instrument. Shoot, I'm getting ready to go into the hospital for a month... I'm kinda nervous to take my uke there... but I'm more worried about being bored out of my mind 🤪 I see your point, but that's the other side of the story.
The Enya is a good idea. Not as top-drawer as a Blackbird, but it’s durable, has good intonation, and is fun to play.

A cheap uke does not have to be terrible and with a bit of shopping gems can be found where you can get a uke that can be a pleasure to play, while a total loss of it during travel would also not hurt too much. If you have special and valuable ukes then why expose them to unnecessary risks if you don't need them for performance or other reasons?

They don't need to be super cheap to be beater/travel ukes. My travelers are Famous sopranos and a tenor Fluke, and I find they sound and play great, no compromises, although I wouldn't hesitate to take a vintage Martin. I'd just need to be more wary of heat & humidity. Oh...and own a vintage Martin! 😄
This here is the answer. Laminate Kiwayas or any of the Magic Fluke ukes are both excellent quality and sturdy. You aren't really compromising much in terms of quality and sound if you take either one of these with you. I specifically bought one of the Kiwaya Eco series laminate soprano for this summer so I can take it with me. I was on the look out for a Flea with a hardwood fretboard and that new bridge design but I haven't seen any available in Europe. The only solid wood uke I've ever taken with me is my custom soprano made out of local woods that's already acclimatised to the local climate. I would definitely hesitate taking any other of my higher end ukes with me on travel.

There is often discussion or mention of "travel" instruments or "beater" instruments, ie- instruments that are for leaving around, throwing in the car, stuffing in a travel bag, taking on trips, etc. I understand why some may want to avoid taking vintage or high end instruments into situations which could prove harmful. Often people talk about using lower quality instruments or instruments that are laminate, plastic, etc.

At the same time, there is a real pleasure in playing good quality instruments that feel and sound great to play. I do see some people who use decent instruments in a good hardshell case or something that is good but not irreplaceable. I don't travel much where I need something like that too often or have situations in extreme conditions, but I have started to think that perhaps life is too short to play on lousy or inferior instruments. Are there people here who believe that and prefer to keep to a decent standard?

I don’t find that there is any one answer that suits all. The gist of a comment on the same topic elsewhere was that ukes are not that expensive that you need to skimp on them so take a good Uke and enjoy it. I kind of understood what he was saying and it was a ‘light bulb’ moment for me. However I also think that personal circumstances can both vary a lot between people and over their own life span too. That chap has say one hundred good Ukes so should the worst happen he’s plenty left, he also acquired his collection when prices were low. In fairness that same chap had taken good Ukes all over the place without mishap; IIRC he felt that a good hard case negated a lot of risks - he probably managed the remaining risks well too - and that Ukes are not excessively fragile.

My simplified view on this topic is now: take what you both want to play and can comfortably afford to damage / loose / replace. For me that’s a reasonably well sorted laminate Uke and for others it will be a Timms … there is no one answer - or price point - that suits all.

Last edited:
There seems to be an assumption that cheap, easily replaceable ukes must be poorly made and will sound poor. Some cheap ukes are like that - perhaps many are - but I would never bother with such an instrument. If I couldn't turn it into a decent performing uke I would bin it.

I have a very cheap HPL soprano which lives in my car - bought on AliExpress for less than £20- (the uke, not the car!). It is always enjoyable to play. It was good right out of the box, requiring only basic setting up.

I take my Shima longneck soprano. As it’s laminate I don’t worry and I just love it’s sound - play it at home or anywhere

I travel with my Magic Fluke Spruce top concert with the TKL case. Just got back from a month long stay in Colorado where I also took my Risa Tenor and a some pedals. I had an amp waiting for me where I was staying. I've also traveled with my Godin Multiuke. My wife has traveled and played extensively with her violin and hardarger fiddle, both with quality hard cases. The value of her violin far exceeds most of the ukulele's we are playing. She always bring her A game instruments, that's all she has. Take and play what you are comfortable with. If I was a better player I'd likely travel more with my KoAloha tenor--I do take it to workshops and events.

I barely leave my house and when I do I've got my hands pretty full with a 1.5 year old and a 5 year old so it’s a non issue for me. That said, sometimes I think it would good to have a nice laminate uke. I often think about getting a KS-5/FS-5 again or getting a Flea. It would be nice to have something I can leave out in the winter and something that I'd feel a little bit better taking with me places. Someday I am hoping my children will be a bit more indendant and maybe I will be able to take a uke with me and actaully relax when we go to the shore.

Also, one of the reasons I started learning harmonica was so that I could have something I could just pull out of my pocket and play in those brief moments I get to relax.

I can have fun playing a well set-up Makala Dolphin and I can have fun with a Mya Moe. Different instruments for different situations; it's all ok by me. The uke doesn't make the music. Of all the uke players I meet in the world, the ones I admire most are the ones who play "beaters" and make people happy.

Play whatever ukes give you joy, any place you want to take them :)

Some pros for using an Enya Nova when travelling are the shallow body and the tights fitting case/shell it comes with.
The shell does not give much protection, but it keeps strings and tuners from getting tangled up with your other belongings if you stuff it in your suitcase. Which is possible if you have a big suitcase, since it is rather flat.

Anyway, I agree that instruments should be used and taken out. But there is a balance as to for how long you are going to store it in a hot car vs how much you expect to play it and how portable you need it.

I never wanted or thought I needed a beater uke until a newby player at the monthly jam nearly smashed her headstock into my Kanilea (accidently). Then there's the weather we've been having this summer: wild afternoon thunderstorms and high humidity. I like playing outside in the evening on my balcony. That got me thinking. What if my Kanilea is the nicest uke I'll ever be able to buy? I should probably take care of it! Not baby it, but not expose it to potentially dangerous environments either. Hence my purchase of an Outdoor Ukulele. I know the sound isn't for everyone, but I dig it.

My wife and I have Outdoors (high/low g) for travel where we just want to throw it in the car and not worry about it, such as trips to the beach or other places involving water. More casual trips, like where we’re visiting my family for a few days, usually involve her Clara or Romero Creations ST concert and any of my regular ukes. I’ll happily forgo the joy of a good wooden uke for a few days to avoid the damage caused by an errant (or intentional) water balloon from my 6 year old while I’m playing by the pool at the beach rental.

Top Bottom