I don't think this is cool at all

no doubt that the market is far greater than the uu forum, youtube watchers, etc. but those people often play with, advise and/or teach newer players, non-uu and youtube watchers and...... oops!
When I started four years ago, I was curious how large the market was. If I recall correctly (no guarantee here), I was floored that 1.2 M ukuleles were sold worldwide the previous year.

I want to see the blowback responses:
"We do professional setups (retail value $140), not half-assed basic or intermediate setups, for free to ensure you get the most enjoyment out of playing your new instrument. This is endorsed by our manufacturers, including ...(name them here). (Disclaimer: this is because we do not have to pay for our Porsches and elaborate SoCal lifestyle that one other seller does)"

So after college, I took about a 10 year hiatus from playing music. During that time I got really into woodworking, specifically handtool woodworking to fill that creative part of my brain and I got really active in some of the online handtool woodworking dicussion boards (yeah, that's a thing. About anything you can think of has a forum). There were at the time (and still) only a few companies who made new high quality hand tools (hand planes, hand saws, etc) and only two with largish manufacturing capabilites (largish by boutique woodworking tool standards), Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in Maine and Lee Valley/Veritas tools in Canada. I got active enough that I got to know the president of Lee Valley, had the opportunity to do some product testing for the company, and even got to tour the factory during a visit to Ottawa. Like on most forums, sometimes folks would get into flame wars about who made the best tools or who the best company was. When this happened the president would sometimes chime in as he watched the forums pretty closely.

He would say something like "Lie-Nielsen is not our main competition. Other hobbies are our main competition. "

What he understood was that anything that got more people into woodworking and handtools was good for his business even if one of his competitors was what got someone into it. He knew that people who bought from Lie-Nielsen were FAR more likely to also buy tools from his company than the general population or even the general woodworking population. What was good for Lie-Nielsen and their customers was also good for him and his customers (and of course those customer bases had huge overlap).

Mim get's this. HMS/TUS gets this. Uke Republic gets this. Just about every other dealer mentioned here and in other threads gets this. Terry does not get this.
Exactly!! The biggest growth opportunity for any ukulele seller is getting more people to play the uke. Uke market is still small in comparison to other instruments… I am still surprised at the number of people that call the uke on the wall in my home a guitar… they don’t even know what is possible!!! Most people got burnt when trying to learn a guitar or piano or violin and never got to know the friendliness of the ukulele and how it will make them happier! I am proud that I introduced at least 3 folks to pick up ukulele… that should be the mission of any seller. Pissing on brands or people’s expectations or squeezing google ad words to redirect as many to your site and then mislead them about fair pricing is focusing on the short term.
Spread the aloha! Not the hate…

Last edited:
I think Terry Carter just set himself up , and he's gonna pay for it .

I finally watched the video. With incognito mode, mind you, so I won't get his rubbish videos on my Youtube feed. I did have to watch a few ads so shame on me...

What I fail to completely understand is, why would you pay for an inferior setup? ULTP has at least two if not three levels of setup. Why would you ever pay for a setup which doesn't include the inspection of everything? If you pay for the "basic" setup but the uke has a wonky fret, will he just send the uke to you anyway because you didn't pay his scam insurance for wonky frets and whatnot??? That, right there, to me, is outrageous. Any reputable music shop wouldn't send you a defective instrument but apparently he would (and he has, see some of the complaint threads from months back).

There were some (utterly pathetic) defenders of Terry's nonsense business model previously when only his presentation style was discussed. I would gladly accept arguments towards his defense after his "setup video".

Go ahead, make my day.

I literally was tempted to order a uke from her last night for no other reason than she is so wonderful and gracious here.
I read some of the comments on YouTube, and had the same reaction.

IIRC, Mim's husband donated part of his liver for a pediatric patient, (can't beat that for kindness), and they are involved in animal rescue too. That's the kind of people like to support.

I read some of the comments on YouTube, and had the same reaction.

IIRC, Mim's husband donated part of his liver for a pediatric patient, (can't beat that for kindness), and they are involved in animal rescue too. That's the kind of people like to support.
I think Mr. Carter donated part of his liver for that free set-up post . :)

I wonder how that conversation went to finally take down the video. It was up for 5 days and was a total ish show, getting slammed for days. There is no way that he wasn’t getting blown up on his notifications and texts/calls from people through out the week. I don’t think he wanted to take it down. I wonder what the breaking point was??

Since Mim has already been mentioned I will comment on Mim's channel, I wish Mim would make some more content, but I think she is flat out with other parts of her business at present. Maybe there are some good uke players who live near her who could work out an arrangement to showcase the high end ukes she has in her shop, or some UU members could do something practical to help her out and actually buy the high end product instead just typing patronising comments.

hey Bill1, I bought a couple of entry level ukes from Mim to give as gifts to people interested in learning uke! I felt great knowing she would reduce challenges to learning by offering a well set up uke. I also bought a KoAloha Red Label Anniversary Tenor from her, so I would call that actually buying high end product. It plays great!

I wonder how that conversation went to finally take down the video. It was up for 5 days and was a total ish show, getting slammed for days. There is no way that he wasn’t getting blown up on his notifications and texts/calls from people through out the week. I don’t think he wanted to take it down. I wonder what the breaking point was??
This is from a thread on the Got A Ukulele Facebook page, where Baz has reacted vehemently to the video. Most comments are of a similar bent to those here. This post is from someone who is involved with Terry at ULTP:

Heather Carter
You know, I’ve been trying to think of what to say here, and I guess I will just go with the simple truth. Terry is a musician. I am a musician. And together with a small group of musicians, we have built the brand that is Uke Like the Pros. From what I gather here, you all mostly don’t like our marketing approach. Well, marketing is a funny thing: first of all, no one really knows anything about marketing. What works for some, does not work for others, and vice versa. Our marketing that does not work for you, DOES work for others. And that’s all it is: marketing. I’m sorry you don’t like it, but it does work for other people. Terry and I are not “grifters”—Christ, who do you think we are??? And yeah—Terry does care about the ukulele, and so do I. Why else would we be putting on a festival??? Anyway. I am sorry some of you are upset. But please keep in mind that when you are attempting to cancel Terry and ULTP, you are cancelling a group of musicians that have done nothing whatsoever to you, and work very hard every day to bring you wonderful instruments and good, solid instruction.

This is from a thread on the Got A Ukulele Facebook page, where Baz has reacted vehemently to the video. Most comments are of a similar bent to those here. This post is from someone who is involved with Terry at ULTP:

Heather Carter
You know, I’ve been trying to think of what to say here, and I guess I will just go with the simple truth. Terry is a musician. I am a musician. And together with a small group of musicians, we have built the brand that is Uke Like the Pros. From what I gather here, you all mostly don’t like our marketing approach. Well, marketing is a funny thing: first of all, no one really knows anything about marketing. What works for some, does not work for others, and vice versa. Our marketing that does not work for you, DOES work for others. And that’s all it is: marketing. I’m sorry you don’t like it, but it does work for other people. Terry and I are not “grifters”—Christ, who do you think we are??? And yeah—Terry does care about the ukulele, and so do I. Why else would we be putting on a festival??? Anyway. I am sorry some of you are upset. But please keep in mind that when you are attempting to cancel Terry and ULTP, you are cancelling a group of musicians that have done nothing whatsoever to you, and work very hard every day to bring you wonderful instruments and good, solid instruction.
Thanks @rainbow21 for the update. Really appreciate it!

I think the Carter family is missing the point and all the complaints went over their heads. The uke community doesn't appreciate them slighting beloved uke dealers that have doing free setups and serving the uke community for many many years. This for sure is a marketing strategy from them that customers should question "free" services that they are getting from other retailers. Very shady attempt to bring more customers to their shop. This isn't how the community has operated.

I think there are just some cultural differences in their thought process on how to build their business. I think they look to be future corporate giants that crush the competition. We have seen members complain about overpricing, nickel and diming by charging for every little thing, making it difficult to do returns, heavy marketing and marketing against competitors, etc.. Sounds very corporate. I did retail management for years and this all seems too familiar to me.

Last edited:
Here's his apology video posted on Instagram :
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg5_pv_DM2P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(P.S. Don't shoot the messenger ! I do not support him or ULTP in any way)

"The goal with Uke Like The Pros from the beginning in 2015 is to serve you and the ukulele community.

There are times I do something, say something, or post something that upsets and offends you and the community.

When this happens it’s something I take full responsibility for and take very seriously and take the necessary steps to address the issue.

I’m not perfect, Uke Like The Pros isn’t perfect but we work every day to learn, to grow, and to get better.

I am here for you, Uke Like The Pros is here for you to help you along your ukulele journey.

I thank you for your support."

Last edited:
Here's his apology video posted on Instagram :
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg5_pv_DM2P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(P.S. Don't shoot the messenger ! I do not support him or ULTP in any way)

"The goal with Uke Like The Pros from the beginning in 2015 is to serve you and the ukulele community.

There are times I do something, say something, or post something that upsets and offends you and the community.

When this happens it’s something I take full responsibility for and take very seriously and take the necessary steps to address the issue.

I’m not perfect, Uke Like The Pros isn’t perfect but we work every day to learn, to grow, and to get better.

I am here for you, Uke Like The Pros is here for you to help you along your ukulele journey.

I thank you for your support."
Well, the problem with the video followed by her post and then his apology is...

...Is the apology sincere or is it another "marketing strategy"? Her typed words: "And that’s all it is: marketing." So how does one now tell one from the other?

Well, the problem with the video followed by her post and then his apology is...

...Is the apology sincere or is it another "marketing strategy"? Her typed words: "And that’s all it is: marketing." So how does one now tell one from the other?
Sorry if you think this is utterly pathetic.

The latest ULTP is a few minutes on the B blues scale on a baritone ukulele. The YouTube content continues.

ULTP is a great YouTube channel to watch. It always has some interesting tips and is better than free to air TV. Some controversy like the Set-Up video (it had 2500 views last time I looked) and Monty Pythonish comments is much better than following reality TV. It appears to me that there is some unsaid business behind many of the comments, they do not seem to have a normal level of negativity or objectivity, which of course spices up the content and gets more views.

I am not likely to be importing ukes from San Diego, so I am not all that interested in the prices and stuff, just the content. It works well with the content from other ukulele content that I follow. Since Mim has already been mentioned I will comment on Mim's channel, I wish Mim would make some more content, but I think she is flat out with other parts of her business at present. Maybe there are some good uke players who live near her who could work out an arrangement to showcase the high end ukes she has in her shop, or some UU members could do something practical to help her out and actually buy the high end product instead just typing patronising comments. Anyway, for me it is about content.

So while some parts of ULTP may not be what the cool kids think are cool, I think it has some content that is worth following, particularly if you are not a ukulele person who likes to have a ukulele life that is all about prices and money and stuff.

I am not planning to unsubscribe the ULTP channel just yet.

Truthfully, if you did an ‘online marketing course’ on how to make money online you have Terry’s business model.

It’s all about funnelling someone into an ‘action’ (to buy) and then from that point ‘increase profit’ by selling things that in reality don’t exist. A setup involves setting up a Uke from start to finish otherwise it’s simply a ukulele that is not setup. BUT if you divide it into ‘Gold, Silver, Bronze packages’ and add in ‘pressure/irrational thinking by charging for time frames you’re able to make more money for frankly no reason.

Firstly, if that’s the business model that works for ULTP want to go for that’s fine.

However, there is a reality that I think Terry/Heather/ULTP are missing or refuse to see.

You can use statements like:

“We are here for you”
“We want you to get the most out of an instrument”

But their ACTIONS are actually contrary to this.

If you buy a Uke for $500 from ULTP and you buy one from MIM (for example) with MIM you’re going to get the Gold setup package by default. With ULTP you’re not going to get a setup so it’s like buying from Amazon which is also ok… But it’s important to acknowledge that your Amazon, providing a box shifting service which is sending out a Uke not setup and not in line with the statement “We want you to get the most out of your instrument” as in this scenario that person is MIM.

Of course with ULTP you can pay more money and get a ‘bronze setup’ which again is a money earning exercise and is not in line with the statement “We are here for you” unless being there for someone involved sending them a half setup instrument.

BUT the biggest problem is… Nobody really cared about his business practises. Those who know, didn’t buy and there will always be people learning as they go along for themselves the best places to buy with more experience.

But his mistake is when he tried to compare his snake oil pedalling price structuring at the expense of people who’s work ethic really do full in line with “we are here for you”, “we want you to get the most out of the instrument”

People don’t care if he’s fired up, drunk, high, had a bad day none of us are perfect. People would appreciate a sincere response … if there was to be one .. to what happened. What happened is he overplayed his hand. Something to damaging to admit.

So the statement is just him looking like his wife’s been shouting at him for 72 hours waffling on with more empty statements demonstrating he hasn’t got a sincere bone in his body and He only posted to protect his ‘brand’.

Last edited:
One difference is that with Amazon (and Mim) you can return free of charge, no 15% restocking fee.
A bit of a rhetorical question- why post the apology on a different platform, IG not YT? I guess it would generate another pile on if YT?
Also, to me "we're here for you" screams please continue to buy from us... not "I'm sorry" (which never comes!). In fact, this is not an apology, just addressing the comments. More spin, more BS. Release the (IG) hounds!

Last edited:
I have been busy and haven't read the forum for awhile with summer things happening. Guess I missed the "storm" . But I am not the least bit surprised.

Somebody said that some manufacturers should take notice. The way they might is if you contact them if a dealer engages in questionable practices, misrepresents what they sell, performs bad service, improper setup or does not honor warranty etc, is unreasonable or shows no real knowledge of the product they sell. If you have had a problem that was unresolved or you uncover something in a proposed sale after making an inquiry that reveals something that is should we say, not right or deceptive or shows incompetence with the store and its staff, contact that manufacturer. They do like to listen to feedback. Thoughtful feedback helps that manufacturer decide who they want to carry their products or at least may influence the allotments of instruments or what dealer gets what and where they fall in distribution.

So the statement is just him looking like his wife’s been shouting at him for 72 hours waffling on with more empty statements demonstrating he hasn’t got a sincere bone in his body and He only posted to protect his ‘brand’.
Bingo! What a stark contrast between almost all other uke players and this clown.

I just rewatched the video and at the end he says something like "this video is sure to get a lot of comments". Made me think, is he deliberatly trolling the uke community to drive views and clicks? Yeah, he looks bad but he did succeed in getting a heck of a lot of people to watch and comment on his video. This potentially could bump his channel up in searches and the algorithms reccomendations and with all the other videos he has up it's entirly possible that the general YouTube viewing population would gloss over this specific video. I mean, I don't want to give him too much credit here intellectually in terms of this being a deliberate plan. It seems more like a late night drunkin rant, but it is a stratagy that many folks have and do use with some degree of success, and he did leave comments open and largely hasn’t been deleting them.

If he made that video to get clicks and comments, he made a bad decision. Taking candy from little kids and kicking puppies would also get lots of views and comments, but not in a good way. I suspect this video would make people think twice about giving him their money, and there are lots of alternatives available.

Top Bottom