I don't think this is cool at all

Ha. I went back again. I was able to copy the link and paste it into a new tab and open with no problems still. Hm.

h ttps://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg5_pv_DM2P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edit: Okay the last time I tried just then it wanted me to sign up or sign in. Try the link above but take the space out after that first "h"..
Maui? Why did he think it was necessary to mention that? Not much of an apology. Was he sitting on a rocking chair? 😁

He mentioned taking offensive videos down. I don't recall any other uke dealer posting offensive videos. I don't see his rant there anymore, so I guess he removed it.

Not sure what the grounds are for revoking a company's dealership agreement, but that Pono story makes me wonder. If I was a uke manufacturer, I certainly wouldn't want him representing me.
see my post #160 about contacting manufacturers. I did contact one of the big K brands on a Uke that was offered by a particular store in the past. The store offered a Used K brand that was purported to be inspected, etc. However it was very apparent to me reviewing website photos the Uke was strung left handed, low G and some of the photos were mixed stock photos of another Uke. How inspected was this Uke as they had blatant errors in the listing ? They did not even realize it was strung left handed until I pointed that out. Store manager then said they had left handed luthiers and the photo person must have messed up using photos from another uke, and so on and so forth.

My impression is the store had much incompetence and no care for what or how they sold their ukuleles. This impression was formed after several emails and some further photos snapped by the store manager with their cell phone. It collaborated what was seen on the website. The store manager seemed oblivious to the fact the Uke was strung left handed. The manager stuck to the company line all instruments were inspected almost verbatim to stock company website language.

I was window shopping sites only trying to gauge used prices or I would not have looked at this store at all. But when I saw the problem with their listing I had to make further inquiry to see what was up. I told the manufacturer about it. They appreciated the feedback. Perhaps if a manufacturer gets enough reliable feedback that paints a picture of what goes on when it's time for allotments of instruments or decisions concerning what stocking levels or where or who the dealers are will be taken into consideration.

In short stick to the proven Ukulele dealers. Baz's list is a good one.

Sidenote : I did find a used K brand off the marketplace here, bought it and it was a nice instrument. Then knowing the neck, nut and so forth fit my hand well I went ahead and bought a new K from The Ukulele Site shortly thereafter. Excellent place to shop. I like them and Mim and a couple other places I give my business to. They have earned my business several times over - Why ? They are professionals and care.

Last edited:
I had typed this very same reply out, but then got called into the doctor's office I was sitting in before hitting enter. No one has said to silence him or mentioned shutting him down.
I may have erroneously conflated calls to close the thread and comments about shutting down the YT video with censorship of ULTP.

No academic/corporate/business credentials, references, or resumé whatsoever to even begin to justify his pretentiousness. What a douche. Just throws whatever out there to see what will stick. Even his wife said so in one of her responses.
On the front page of the web site :

About Terry​

Terry Carter is a San Diego-based business owner, ukulele player, surfer, songwriter, and creator of the #1 ukulele sites ukelikethepros.com and store.ukelikethepros.com.

With over 25 years as a professional musician, educator, and Los Angeles studio musician, Terry has worked with greats like Weezer, Josh Groban, Robby Krieger (The Doors), 2-time Grammy-winning composer Christopher Tin (Calling All Dawns), Duff McKagan (Guns N’ Roses), Grammy-winning producer Charles Goodan (Santana/Rolling Stones), and the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Terry has written and produced tracks for commercials (Discount Tire and Puma) and TV shows, including Scorpion (CBS), Pit Bulls & Parolees (Animal Planet), Trippin’, Wildboyz, and The Real World (MTV). He has self-published over 10 books for Uke Like The Pros and Rock Like The Pros, filmed over 30 ukulele and guitar online courses, and has over 100,000 subscribers on his Uke Like The Pros YouTube channel.

Not sure what the grounds are for revoking a company's dealership agreement, but that Pono story makes me wonder. If I was a uke manufacturer, I certainly wouldn't want him representing me.
Quite important, in my opinion. People will conflate problems with the dealer with the brand, especially given the blatant lack of responsibility ULTP shows. If Carter is willing to throw Pono under the bus to try and sell a repair that was covered or even unnecessary, Pono might want to consider the long-term implications to their reputation and sales. ULTP might be moving a lot of their instruments, but everyone risks damage from the fallout of shoddy business practices.

THE APOLOGY :
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg-ViDMD1x-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I released a video the other day about Free Setups. This video was intended to address comments and messages we get about why we don’t offer free setups at store.ukelikethepros.com.

This video was not intended to insult or put down anyone or any other ukulele store.

This video, which has already been taken down, resulted in a lot of comments, reactions, and stirred up a lot of emotions.

I apologize if I insulted or put down you, the ukulele community, or any ukulele stores.

As a sign of solidarity with other ukulele stores @ukelikethepros is offering free basic setups to any ukulele purchases at store.ukelikethepros.com in the month of August.

I appreciate your understanding and support and look forward to continuing to serve you on this ukulele journey.

THE APOLOGY :

I released a video the other day about Free Setups. This video was intended to address comments and messages we get about why we don’t offer free setups at store.ukelikethepros.com.

This video was not intended to insult or put down anyone or any other ukulele store.

This video, which has already been taken down, resulted in a lot of comments, reactions, and stirred up a lot of emotions.

I apologize if I insulted or put down you, the ukulele community, or any ukulele stores.

As a sign of solidarity with other ukulele stores @ukelikethepros is offering free basic setups to any ukulele purchases at store.ukelikethepros.com in the month of August.

I appreciate your understanding and support and look forward to continuing to serve you on this ukulele journey.
There it is. He must really be taking a financial hit, to squeeze this apology out of the PMA (Proudest Man Alive).

Last edited:
ULTP is trying to sell Koaloha red label and Kanilea platinum while saying they need paid setup… I wonder what KoAloha and Kanilea feel about this…
He feels like a person trying to make money off the ukulele as it is trending and popular but couldn’t care less about the aloha that is part of the community… using every business trade trick available to squeeze every $$$ off the customer and put down the competition.
This is in stark contrast to someone like Mims… she has a choice to drop her standards and take more orders but she occasionally will stop taking orders to be able
to do justice to the orders she has. Like she said she cannot not setup a uke that passes her hands even if she is not the seller (ex free setup at festivals)
HMS does a lot to promote new brands, luthiers, and performers. I have hardly ever heard anyone claim questionable business practices from them. BTW Kitakis family is behind Koolau and Pono but I have never seen them try to put down a competing brand.
Something never sat right with me when I came across his videos or site… I now know what it is he does sell and play ukes but he is devoid of what makes the uke so alluring to many of us.
BTW was fun to see Mike Hind critique him as a uke player... he was not impressed.

Last edited:
From my experience with Terry Carter, this is much more than a choice of how to market your business. This is just another example of who he is as a person. Some may say it's only business, but it's so much more than that. When I attempted to trade in two of my ukuleles to ULTP for a particular ukulele I wanted, it was a horrible experience. I told myself it was a bad idea to do a trade in, but I didn't listen to my instinct and I hadn't heard anything bad about ULTP at the time. Anyway, he held my instruments for a month with no response about trade in amount. I had to contact him saying please just send my instruments back to me. Then he tried to get me on the phone to talk about the instruments when we had only had contact over text and email. My instincts said get everything in writing. He tried calling several times, but I would only respond though written communication to have all convo on record. He finally sent a text saying the Pono MB had a non functional truss rod and was buzzing. I bought this instrument from him. He said he could fix it by putting in a new saddle. He didn't mention that this was a warranty issue with Pono. He wanted to charge me for a new saddle and ignore the "nonfunctional" truss rod. I brought up Pono's warranty which he should have done for me as the person who sold the instrument to me. When I said I wanted to move forward with this as a warranty concern to Pono, he said he needed to talk to his luthiers again to make sure he had the info correctly as to the truss rod. I immediately wrote back that he had just told me in writing about his concerns with the broken truss rod. He knew he had been caught. I had it in writing so he couldn't go back on what he said. He said he would contact Pono about it and said he left a voicemail with them. I didn't trust him for a minute so I emailed Pono and got a response within the hour from John Kitakis. John was very nice and promised to work with Terry to replace the Pono, but John seemd very troubled by the idea of a broken truss rod, said that it was not a very common thing. Terry was pissed at me. Long story short, I ended up getting the Pono replacement directly from John because Terry was being incredibly passive aggressive because I didn't let him get away with conning me. I caught him in his game and exposed him to Pono. It was an incredibly stressful experience with a person who truly does not care about his customers. He wants to make as much money as he can and will rip you off to do it. As a retailer, if the truss rod was actually not working, he should have taken responsibility for that and taken the steps with Pono to get a replacement. Instead, he tried to get money out of me for an instrument he sold me that according to him was defective. I expressed my disappointment that he did not mention Pono's warranty and I had to tell him to move forward with it. He didn't take any responsibility for that. He talked about his expensive guitars and how he doesnt check truss rods and a bunch of other nonsense instead of taking responsibility. He is condescending and seems to only care about what he can get out of a customer. The other instrument involved in this trade in was not purchased from him, but he said the bridge was coming off and would need to be replaced and he could do that for me. I just told him to send it back to me and so I lost money shipping it to him and paying to have it shipped back.
When I didn't know any better before this fiasco happened, I bought a ukulele from him and paid 35.00 for the basic setup. When I received the ukulele, the C string buzzed terribly. I tried multiple string changes and nothing fixed it. I had to use the Super glue method to raise the nut slot because it was extremely low. I have since had to put glue in a different nut slot after changing strings and I am a very light fingerstyle player. So I paid 35.00 for them to mess up my bone nut. They didn't take responsibility for that either. So I can't speak highly of his luthiers or him. There is more to this trade in situation that shows what kind of person Terry Carter is and I have all texts and emails saved. I hope no one else will go through what I went through. I don't care about his car salesman shtick, he can present himself however he wants, but I do care about how people are treated. I do care about community, taking responsibility when you make mistakes, and treating people with respect. I don't just see him as a person who has chosen a particular business model, I see him as a crook who only cares about making money. And check out his real-estate/life coach scheme if you want to see even more of his money talk and grifting. He boasts of his multiple 6 figure businesses. I feel like many of us have been trying to show the world what kind of person Terry Carter is so they won't be hurt by him for awhile now. I'm so glad he made a video to show a little bit of who he truly is. Of course he took it down, but he will crack again. It's only a matter of time.
Let's share a contrasting experience with Gryphon Strings…
When I started my journey, I had a Makala dolphin and already had seen the potential of having a small portable instrument with a pleasant sound (after having tried piano and recorder) and wanted to step up the ladder. I visited Gryphon since it was local and I can try out more ukes. I picked up a red Kamoa spruce and maple concert E3C. I loved the sound, it was a huge step up... I decided to change strings at some point out of curiosity and to put on fluorocarbons on them. Post string change there was a buzz which I solved with a small piece of paper under the string on the nut. I decide to visit the store to get their advice. Frank Ford who is one of the owners and runs the repairs at Gryphon, saw the uke and said the neck is bent and said they should not have sold it and took it back and offered me a refund or to pick up another uke… this was after the complimentary period. I picked up a Martin C1K. Over the years I have bought and sold many instruments with them and had many repairs done and have gotten to know the folks there really well. There are deeply passionate, talented, friendly and reputed folks with many long years in the industry. I feel calm when I visit the store and enjoy seeing their collection of instruments…
Support the folks who make this world a better place!

About Terry​

Terry Carter is a San Diego-based business owner, ukulele player, surfer, songwriter, and creator of the #1 ukulele sites ukelikethepros.com and store.ukelikethepros.com.

With over 25 years as a professional musician, educator, and Los Angeles studio musician, Terry has worked with greats like Weezer, Josh Groban, Robby Krieger (The Doors), 2-time Grammy-winning composer Christopher Tin (Calling All Dawns), Duff McKagan (Guns N’ Roses), Grammy-winning producer Charles Goodan (Santana/Rolling Stones), and the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Terry has written and produced tracks for commercials (Discount Tire and Puma) and TV shows, including Scorpion (CBS), Pit Bulls & Parolees (Animal Planet), Trippin’, Wildboyz, and The Real World (MTV). He has self-published over 10 books for Uke Like The Pros and Rock Like The Pros, filmed over 30 ukulele and guitar online courses, and has over 100,000 subscribers on his Uke Like The Pros YouTube channel.
That appears to be the price of a one-year membership. May sound expensive, but don’t forget: This is a man who helped produce a commercial for Discount Tire! All aboard!
Also he likes to surf so definitely passes muster as well-qualified to coach you on business. p.s. he didn't produce the commercial, he produced tracks (music) for the commercial. Wooptyfriggingdoo

THE APOLOGY :

for the month of August. by the way did you know Ohana does setups for all their ukes at their warehouse before they go out?

About Terry​

Terry has written and produced tracks for commercials (Discount Tire and Puma) and TV shows, including Scorpion (CBS), Pit Bulls & Parolees (Animal Planet), Trippin’, Wildboyz, and The Real World (MTV).

If someone legitimately had these credentials in TV, and if that same someone had a track record of extensive over the top self-promotion, wouldn't you think that same someone would have an IMDb profile?

I wouldn't know, so I'm not saying those credentials aren't legit, but I do find that strange.

Last edited:
THE APOLOGY :

Wow...he turns it into an opportunity to offer a special deal. Unreal.

Can't access it on IG, but again, why not the original platform (YT)?

Top Bottom