Season 547 - The Baggage Carousel

Who's Irene???? I obviously haven't been paying attention! Great and interesting week, Dave, with all that bird information. I hope things will improve for your "flock."
Hahaha- I have decided to end every season from here out with “Good Night Irene” because why not right?

Hello again, Brian! I wasn't intending to come back so soon, but I have something pressing and urgent that I should be doing, so it was far easier to find another daft bag-related song. For those who didn't know (including me, being a Brit), a Glad Bag seems to be a plastic storage/rubbish bag, which comes in all shapes, sizes and colours. In an attempt to sound suitably "Country" here, I used my Pono 8-string tenor and my MOTU (like John's, but a soprano and with a sound hole in the back.)

I know that I have done this one before, but that was on my old channel...
Since then I got a new ukulele, new recording gear, and a head.

So here revisit to a song in which the narrator is "hovering by his suitcase". :)

By the way, I this will probably be my last video for august, I am going on a vacation trip.

[TCK RULE] What does a bored, scared and depressed population do during a global pandemic besides play the ukulele? Video games. At least that is what I did. MMORPG, complete with Discord live play (LEEEERRRROOOYYY JJJJJEEEENNNKKKKINNNS- if you know you know), and I played for hours and hours on end. Made friends just like here, lost friends….but one particular day of reflection I realized how much time I was wasting and how pissed off I always was at the RNG that always left me high and dry…and then how awfully silly it was for someone who was nearing fifty to be pissed about that, so I hung the game up.
My only regret was not being able to talk to a fellow I met in the chat from Brazil, young guy with a new baby, who loved Punk. He was clearly a Muffs/Offspring (post college for me) kinda guy and I could take him back a lot farther than that so we had some pretty great conversations. I shared my YouTube and he had seen some of my videos….oddly enough he watched a lot of those that were not punk, and would come back to talk about music every night. I figured that would die immediately when I left the game so long ago, but nope, he still tunes in, and LOVES NOFX. So this is really for him.
It is a song called “Bag.” Total fit.
It was really hard to learn the timing on it.
It is a song I love- Melissa has heard it so much she audibly groaned when I played it to try and get the bridge timing (after having it on loop for my 30 mile commute).
It took me three days to connect it here.
Every village needs their idiot…[/TCK RULE]

Hello, yet AGAIN, Brian! This is an original ... well, I'm not exactly sure WHAT it is! It was going to be a song, but it became a poem and, on reflection, I don't think it even qualifies as that; it's more a sort of musing, but with ukulele accompaniment. (It is, basically, a memory of my first school, which was a very traditional little private school ... the local primary was a lot closer, but was deemed unsuitable for us!)

Last edited:
Thank you for hosting Brian!

“You leave in the morning with everything you own in a little black case…”

The story of a young gay man in the 1980s, fleeing bullying and persecution in his hometown, seeking acceptance and love in a faraway city. The semi-autobiographical story of Jimmy Somerville, the lead singer of Bronski Beat - this was their debut single and it achieved huge global success.

Another hugely enjoyable collaboration with Liz Brinker, whose magic musical touch lifted this massively. Thank you yet again, Liz! :)

Jimmie Rodgers time …

Outstanding theme, pa!

I used to travel a lot for work, but recently for obvious reasons I haven't. My last trip was to Paris in February 2020, and my next one will be to Odense next week. To be honest, it's terrifying, and I'd rather stay at home. I used to travel often enough that I had a pretty efficient system and I wouldn't worry too much (except for the time I managed to forget my passport...). However, maybe writing a checklist in the form of a song will help. So here we go.

Perhaps I should also say that the only thing in here that I have messed up on in the past is forgetting my passport :). And that's a mistake you only make once...

Thanks to https://mixkit.co/free-sound-effects/airport/ for the airliner noise.

By the way, there is a Lizzo song I like called "Batches and Cookies" and for a long time, when packing, I've sung "I've got my gadgets and chargers" while packing to its tune. If you know it, perhaps you will now too...

EDIT: Since posting this, it has occurred to me that I missed a golden opportunity to get the phrase "Baggage Carousel" into the lyrics, in a place that rhymes, without it even sounding awkward. But it's after midnight and I'm not redoing it now...

Last edited:
Top Bottom