I don't think this is cool at all

Perhaps you'll get a chance to discretely warn other players about his sales tactics, perhaps send them to the UU threads on the subject. I usually find musicians talk to one another when the music isn't playing. Saving a single person some heartache would be a good deed, and would help get the word out.
Don't accuse Terry of anything. Just suggest that they look into his business' reputation before buying anything from him. You don't want to get into a possible slander or defamation lawsuit situation.

Don't accuse Terry of anything. Just suggest that they look into his business' reputation before buying anything from him. You don't want to get into a possible slander or defamation lawsuit situation.
[Continuing off-topic...]

If I may... it's not slander or defamation if it is true.

Granted, anyone could file a lawsuit claiming slander/defamation (and you might incur expense defending your comments/claims). However, it would be worth it to bring evidence to light that he is/was- in fact- worthy of defamation :) Perhaps the best advice would be for the attendee to 'alert' other attendees that there are other, better prices and service with other stores based on his/her own experience.

I think TaoCat's idea is a worthy expression to others as his learned "opinion" regarding engaging in a consumer relationship. :-o

[I'm not an attorney, but I think I met one once on a blind date]

It really is not her place nor job to warn others about the host's business practices. Her job is to enjoy all that she can. Ukulele events should be about positive energy.

I would actually consider it in bad taste to go to any event and badmouth the host (especially to people you do not know). You can do that here.

So just to once again highlight some of our wonderful ukulele dealers as contrast to what we are discussing here.

I've been considering getting a Magic Fluke Flea soprano.

The other day I emailed Magic Fluke to ask about their current stock. Within 4 hours I had an email from Phyllis (one of the owners) telling me that she would see what they had and would send me pictures the next day (I had sent the email after business hours, btw). At about noon the next day she sent me photos of two ukes with detailed descriptions and prices. No sales pressure, no extra cost, no BS, just the photos/info and a note saying that they were there if I needed anything else or had other questions.

As I stewed on those I decided to see what dealers had. Elderly has a koa top one but the photo was a stock photo. I emailed them to ask for a photo of the actual instrument. They replied in under 10 minutes and sent photos within another 10 minutes after that. No sales pressure, no extra cost, no BS, just a link with some photos.

Oh, I also talked to Phyllis on the phone for about 10 minutes today. No BS, no getting charged for a concierge service. Just a nice honest conversation about some ukulele's with a truly lovely person.

Spoiler alert: I went with a laminate top one with a wood fretboard, Pegheds, and a rosette that they had in stock (uke on the left in attached photo). The koa one that Elderly has is gorgeous and tempting, but I decided I'd rather have a laminate top one just to not have to worry about the top at all. I know in all likelyhood it would be fine, but I'm gonna leave this thing out in the winter and my house gets hella dry so I'd rather not think about it. I liked that this one had the other upgrades though so it's fancy yet still toddler proof/5-year old proof/winter proof/cat proof/bombproof.

Attachments

• AFA9140A-7995-4A1A-A96D-FAFFF3926931.jpeg
    AFA9140A-7995-4A1A-A96D-FAFFF3926931.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It really is not her place nor job to warn others about the host's business practices. Her job is to enjoy all that she can. Ukulele events should be about positive energy.

I would actually consider it in bad taste to go to any event and badmouth the host (especially to people you do not know). You can do that here.
I'm not at all recommending she badmouth the host, simply say that there's a wonderfully informative thread on some of the relative benefits of the setups he offers at Ukulele Underground. I would imagine there will be a sales pitch or two, and people often discuss options after. Of course, no one should exceed their comfort level at such an event.

So just to once again highlight some of our wonderful ukulele dealers as contrast to what we are discussing here.

The other day I emailed Magic Fluke to ask about their current stock. Within 4 hours I had an email from Phyllis (one of the owners) telling me that she would see what they had and would send me pictures the next day (I had sent the email after business hours, btw). At about noon the next day she sent me photos of two ukes with detailed descriptions and prices. No sales pressure, no extra cost, no BS, just the photos/info and a note saying that they were there if I needed anything else or had other questions.

As I stewed on those I decided to see what dealers had. Elderly has a koa top one but the photo was a stock photo. I emailed them to ask for a photo of the actual instrument. They replied in under 10 minutes and sent photos within another 10 minutes after that. No sales pressure, no extra cost, no BS, just a link with some photos.

Oh, I also talked to Phyllis on the phone for about 10 minutes today. No BS, no getting charged for a concierge service. Just a nice honest conversation about some ukulele's with a truly lovely person.

Spoiler alert: I went with a laminate top one with a wood fretboard, Pegheds, and a rosette that they had in stock (uke on the left in attached photo). The koa one that Elderly has is gorgeous and tempting, but I decided I'd rather have a laminate top one just to not have to worry about the top at all. I know in all likelyhood it would be fine, but I'm gonna leave this thing out in the winter and my house gets hella dry so I'd rather not think about it. I liked that this one had the other upgrades though so it's fancy yet still toddler proof/5-year old proof/winter proof/cat proof/bombproof.
What a lovely uke, thanks for sharing! One upside of this whole sordid affair is you get to hear about the wonderful stories of people having great experiences with those good uke dealers and stores.

I'm not at all recommending she badmouth the host, simply say that there's a wonderfully informative thread on some of the relative benefits of the setups he offers at Ukulele Underground. I would imagine there will be a sales pitch or two, and people often discuss options after. Of course, no one should exceed their comfort level at such an event.
You do realize she will probably be speaking to cult members .
I'd leave de-programing to another place , another time .

Enjoy the show .

Related thread if anybody missed it .... this is really not cool at all

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post about this weekend's ULTP uke festival. Thank you, too, for your support and suggestions.

I have no agenda concerning interfering with TC's customer base. That would be completely out of character for me, and make me very uncomfortable. It is highly unlikely that anyone would ask my opinion anyway on making a purchase from ULTP's store, but if someone did, I'd simply suggest that he or she do some comparison shopping to ensure getting the best price and deal. Period. If someone asks where I bought my uke (an Enya Nova tenor) I'll tell the truth and say I bought it on Amazon, it's perfect, I love it, and I got it at an unbeatable price.

I just want to enjoy the music, see the vendors, and maybe pick up some tips and techniques from the workshops. Maybe I'll finally master that pesky Bb chord. Maybe I'll win something at the raffle. And maybe, just maybe, I'll meet someone who wants to donate a new or used uke or two to my classroom. That would make it all worthwhile.

The other day I emailed Magic Fluke to ask about their current stock. Within 4 hours I had an email from Phyllis (one of the owners) telling me that she would see what they had and would send me pictures the next day (I had sent the email after business hours, btw). At about noon the next day she sent me photos of two ukes with detailed descriptions and prices. No sales pressure, no extra cost, no BS, just the photos/info and a note saying that they were there if I needed anything else or had other questions.....
That is great to hear. Dale and Phyllis are great folks and wonderful to deal with. The fleas, flukes, etc are really nice instruments and fun to play. They are very well made. I can't wait to hear about your flea once you get it.

That is great to hear. Dale and Phyllis are great folks and wonderful to deal with. The fleas, flukes, etc are really nice instruments and fun to play. They are very well made. I can't wait to hear about your flea once you get it.
I have never played a MFC instrument and I had never dealt with them. I honestly loved chatting with Phyllis. I felt like I ws talking to an old friend. Seriously, what a truly lovely person! It made me want to buy more instruments from them just so I can chat with her more. I'll let you know how I like it. It think it will be fun to have!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post about this weekend's ULTP uke festival. Thank you, too, for your support and suggestions.

I have no agenda concerning interfering with TC's customer base. That would be completely out of character for me, and make me very uncomfortable. It is highly unlikely that anyone would ask my opinion anyway on making a purchase from ULTP's store, but if someone did, I'd simply suggest that he or she do some comparison shopping to ensure getting the best price and deal. Period. If someone asks where I bought my uke (an Enya Nova tenor) I'll tell the truth and say I bought it on Amazon, it's perfect, I love it, and I got it at an unbeatable price.

I just want to enjoy the music, see the vendors, and maybe pick up some tips and techniques from the workshops. Maybe I'll finally master that pesky Bb chord. Maybe I'll win something at the raffle. And maybe, just maybe, I'll meet someone who wants to donate a new or used uke or two to my classroom. That would make it all worthwhile.
I think that you are approaching this in the best way. Enjoy the music, the vendors, (let us know what goodies you find!), and see what all you can learn. I hope that you have a wonderful time.

I completely agree!

1st amendment & facts trumps any idea of a defamation lawsuit. This is not the brightest post I’ve seen on UUforum but did make me Lol.

Last edited:
I have never played a MFC instrument and I had never dealt with them. I honestly loved chatting with Phyllis. I felt like I ws talking to an old friend. Seriously, what a truly lovely person! It made me want to buy more instruments from them just so I can chat with her more. I'll let you know how I like it. It think it will be fun to have!

I like my Flute Tenor quite a bit... although the tuning takes a while to adjust too... but it's so cool how they stand up and patiently wait for you to come and play!

However: I wouldn't want it to be my ONLY instrument... it has some limitations... but I see you have four others already so that shouldn't be an issue for you...

UAS Rules!

How wonderful-- your experiences with Phyllis/The Magic Fluke Company, and your incoming Flea.

I have one that holds precisely the place and season you're intending for yours, the winter months.
[I like to keep at least one ukulele at hand, and there's way more difference between 'out in the open, pick up and play' and "right here next to me, just need to take it out of its (humidified) case" than I fully understand.]

It's all kinds of -proof, and fills its role very well! Fleas have a voice of their own-- deeper and slightly boomier than a wooden instrument of typical depth-- which is always a surprise in something so small.

On top of all this, the way MFC packs for shipping is impressive: simple, yet dialed in, for sure.

Cheers. :)

~ S.

1st amendment & facts trumps any idea of a defamation lawsuit. This is not the brightest post I’ve seen on UUforum but did make me Lol.
While your statement is sort of true, many shady people will go to court to sue a person to inflict monetary loss and emotional stress even though the statements made are true. Especially since most people cannot afford to pay lawyers for a protracted and often delayed civil case.

A good lawyer can present the "facts" in such a way so as to cast doubt on whether they apply to the plaintiff and his business practices in the manner as stated by the defendant.

Plus, the fact that the person who made the statement (defendant) is being sued by the subject of the statement (plaintiff) is taken by much of the public to be an obvious sign of the innocence of the person claiming to have been defamed or slandered.

You can use weasel words such as "I heard...", "Several people told me...", "Everybody knows...", etc. But that won't always cover your butt. Particularly if the people you said it to can't remember the exact words and phrases you used.

Just don't accuse anyone of being underhanded, a cheat, a crook, a con artist, fraud, to have done anything illegal, etc. Even if you have first-hand experience or knowledge of the event. I know I couldn't afford paying a lawyer prepare a defense, show up for a court date only to have it delayed several times, and finally held, but no damages awarded. The American judicial system is a very expensive proposition for most people. And while Facts, and the First Amendment will ultimately win out if you have deep enough pockets, people usually settle out of court even though they are in the right.

Like it or not, the US, all to often, follows the "Golden Rule." IE: He who has the most gold—wins!

I am not a lawyer, nor am I giving legal advice. Just stating some "facts" that I have seen and experienced in one fashion or another, or read about. So take what I have said with a grain of salt.

:LOL:

I wish there were a way to automatically move all the "I think we should close this thread,"whether as suggestion or non-OP declaration, to a standalone holding thread titled,

Please Close This Thread

:sneaky:

~ S
hoping for convention follow-up, on behalf of the artists especially, and as further in-person perspective on the dynamics at work in realtime....

Top Bottom