Songs you don't want to admit that you like.

One song that I love to play is a CD my boys had when they were little by "the Laurie Birkner band" called "I don't wanna go slow I go fast"! This has a great Irish reel sound to it and I play it whenever we do a "Celtic" show.

This is my entire playlist that I work on:

Loop Pedal Covers
Teardrop - Massive Attack
Peaches - Justin Bieber
In the End - Linkin Park
Canon D - Johann Pachelbel
Final Countdown - Europe
River Flows - Yiruma
Gorrilaz - Feel Good
Slow Dancing IABR - John Mayer
Sweet Child of Mine - Guns R Roses
Rise - Eddie Vedder
Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Harold Arlen.

Finger Style Covers
Maleguena
Arurarian Dance - Nujabes
I’m Yours - Jason Miraz

I have Justin Bieber & “I’m Yours”. Those are definitely guilty pleasures 😂😂😂

I listen to and enjoy almost everything from all genres and ages except Hip Hop/Rap and share with friends and coworkers my playlists when asked. It surprises them when I go from Woody Guthrie to Bob Wills to Black Sabbath to Jethro Tull to SheDaisy to Avatarium (plus most everything in between) and then start singing Aqua tunes. Something about "Doctor Jones, Jones, Calling Dr Jones" that just feels good even though it shouldn't. Thanks to this thread I found a cover of that tune on the Uke to enjoy. Now if Broken Peach would cover Over the Rainbow playing ukuleles it would be a wonderful world.

So, anyway... glad it's not just me who can be grooving to a song, and signing along with it while saying "I hate this song!"

John Popper said it best: "It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection... The hook brings you back."

I know some of you will puke when I tell you that I really like The Beatles. I know...but I can't help it.

The song I should never have tried to cover was "I wanna dance with somebody". It's un-singable for me, and I never really liked it, but now I like it because of familiarity.

...from a certain era, I hate to admit that I like.
Donovan CDs:
Mellow Yellow
Wear Your Love Like Heaven
Sunshine Superman

I totally get lost in these albums.
(But I continually have to look around to see if anyone else can hear me singing and humming along.)

It makes me want to buy some Herbal Essence and sprinkle some Jade East on my car's carpets.

Last edited:
"My guilty pleasure is sea shanties. Don't like to mention it because it was such a quarantine trend and it just looks like hopping on board with a fad, but the truth is that I've always loved a good sea shanty."

Shortly after we became a quintet (April 2022) we were introduced to the Mingulay Boat Song. We love it. We do a last verse a Capella, and we think it sounds pretty darn good.

I hate to admit it, but I have an earworm of 16 Tons right now. We've performed it once, and I have the hammer strikes down perfect! What a geek, huh.
There's actually like a whole genre of "pirate music"...or multiple genres? There's pirate rock, pirate metal, pirate punk...

I couldn't thinkof any song/singer that I like, but don't want to admit to. If I really think it's good, why would I want to hide it?

OK, Jim, I'll tell you why... I used to work in radio, so I would not only obsess over songs, but I would impose my latest song crushs on my audience.

And for about a year there, it was... The Starlight Vocal Band and Afternoon Delight. Every day...

Ugh... that was hard...

BTW: If there was an award for best post of the year, I would give it to Jim Yates for his post in the Misheard Lyrics thread... Take a look!

A come on from the horse on 2nd avenue?

Really? Amazing...

In certain sensitive crowds I can't sing/play Where the Palm Trees Meet the Pine, a Danny O'Keefe song about getting picked up by a cripple. Has my favorite line. She said my hearts an open book and every page a song. The rest of the song has other good ones and is close to home.

Yeah... one of the regulars features on our set list in a band I used to play in was The Rodeo Song...

I've had to let that one go...

While I never learned any of her music on uke, I semi-secretly love, and I do mean love, a lot of Taylor Swift songs.

Last edited:
Yeah... one of the regulars features on our set list in a band I used to play in was The Rodeo Song...

I've had to let that one go...
I remember playing at our local Legion and having folks request The Rodeo Song. My friend Bernie finally said, "We don't know the whole song, but what if we just say f** a lot?"
Thread drift - Maggie and I went to a restaurant last night and the rodeo was on the TV. I noticed that the riders now wear helmets with face masks and kevlar vests.

I was riding in our car just yesterday with my granddaughter, Emma. She's four. She was listening to Peppa Pig singing to the tune of Row Row Row Your Boat. After a while I caught myself thinking, "Say, that sounds pretty good!" :mad:

"Don't Know Why" by Nora Jones, LOL. I'm a dude so I feel weird singing "My heart is drenched in wine."

Top Bottom